IGNORED

58.5 mm leveller options

I’ve stopped using my Motta leveller as I found it was causing side channelling and spritzers. Not sure if mine is 58.5mm but definitely not a tight fit. Just a quick WDT in the basket and a couple of light taps is good enough.

• Like 1

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 hour ago, Cuprajake said:

I dont tamp i just level 

Really?!? How do you stop it from being a gusher? Is the basket so densely packed, or have you turned pressure down quite a bit from 9 bar/using a lever?

I definitely couldn't leave mine untamped and pull anything other than a gusher I wouldn't think. Interesting.

• Like 1

so my leveller is set to the height that the grounds would be if i tamped. 

i dose 17g into a ims basket, wdt and then spin. i get 35/40g out in 25/30s machine is 9bar as i set it to that :)

• Like 2

Way too early for this sh...

I have a cheap and cheerful Chinese leveller - it arrived in a small piece of bubble wrap stuffed into a battered looking cardboard box. It works just fine as far as I can tell.

I recently watched a video of someone unboxing an OCD leveller - it was extremely beautifully packaged - anyone who has ever unboxed an Apple product will be familiar with the sort of thing I’m talking about.

No doubt that receiving and opening an OCD leveller would be the superior experience - but I do doubt that day to day use would vary much between them.

Regards,
John

• Like 1

Interesting discussion! Thanks you all for your views!

I didn't realised that the Motta was back in stock! Chinese versions seem to be 58 mm which, as you said, it seems not to be ideal if you don't tamp afterwards.

Let's see how it works but I wanna try to use a leveller without tamping. Some of you seems to use it successfully. "Whole latte love" seems to suggest that it produces consistent results. After all, with so many variables to adjust, fixing one variable seems a good way to go. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Hopebrewer said:

Let's see how it works but I wanna try to use a leveller without tamping. Some of you seems to use it successfully. "Whole latte love" seems to suggest that it produces consistent results. After all, with so many variables to adjust, fixing one variable seems a good way to go. 

I'm basically following the same logic and bought a 58.5 Motta leveller and a kilo of Chocolate Point from Black Cat to get some basics down.

Will be interested to see how you get on with yours, I'll probably start a thread with my journey 😬

• Like 2
17 hours ago, moppy said:

I'm basically following the same logic and bought a 58.5 Motta leveller and a kilo of Chocolate Point from Black Cat to get some basics down.

Will be interested to see how you get on with yours, I'll probably start a thread with my journey 😬

Thanks! I will be out of home for about one months so I won't be able to give it a go soon. I will definitively follow your experience!!