IGNORED

Don't vacuum coffee!

My better half is very ocd with a degree of manic cleaning thrown in. Whenever I make coffee she pounces with the dyson to remove any stray grounds. which saves me doing it :)

Of course, much like the inside of a grinder there's lots of places inside a Dyson where those sticky little grinds like to congregate, leading to reduced performance, and eventual failure. A strip down that goes way further than the one in the manual produced about a mug full of old stale coffee. calypuf works on vacuum cleaner plastics.....

I'm a hero for fixing the Dyson, but a villain for making the mess in the first place.

it's obvious when you think about it, but if anyone hasn't, you can learn from this :)

1 hour ago, mctrials23 said:

Thats very odd. Small particles are what hoovers are supposed to pick up without issue. Was she picking up moisture as well?

just the moisture in the coffee - the build up was exactly what you'd see in a grinder that hadn't been cleaned out for 3 years. 'dry' dust would just blow through, or come loose when you tap the machine on the floor, but the coffee sticks

1 hour ago, hotmetal said:

Oh. I've been using my Dyson SV03 for exactly this... Then again she did tell me to "treat myself" to a new one, so I guess I'll carry on to destruction!

take the filter apart instead of washing it - there are three clips at the top

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyson-Vacuum-Cleaner-Pre-Motor-Cleaning/dp/B084MHQZZC

see if there is a plug of coffee in the bottom - if so, then the vortex's will be full too I bet. complete dismantle and dunk in calypuf

Edited by GrahamS
7 minutes ago, GrahamS said:

see if there is a plug of coffee in the bottom - if so, then the vortex's will be full too I bet. complete dismantle and dunk in calypuf

If it is... Could you not just get another Hoover and Hoover it out rather than dismantling it 😉😉😉

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> Fracino Cherub—> La Pav Europiccola:

:Mazzer SuperJolly:

:Hario V60+aeropress:

I have all the best ideas... 🤣

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> Fracino Cherub—> La Pav Europiccola:

My better half is very ocd with a degree of manic cleaning thrown in. Whenever I make coffee she pounces with the dyson to remove any stray grounds. which saves me doing it
Of course, much like the inside of a grinder there's lots of places inside a Dyson where those sticky little grinds like to congregate, leading to reduced performance, and eventual failure. A strip down that goes way further than the one in the manual produced about a mug full of old stale coffee. calypuf works on vacuum cleaner plastics.....
I'm a hero for fixing the Dyson, but a villain for making the mess in the first place.
it's obvious when you think about it, but if anyone hasn't, you can learn from this

If only someone would invent a vacuum cleaner where all the dirt got collected in some kind of sack so it could be disposed of once and for all!
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, GrahamS said:

...see if there is a plug of coffee in the bottom...

i wonder what said plug would taste like if dropped into a mug of hot water.....and would it be sacrilege to add milk...just a thought :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

Another thought crossed my mind.....does buying a hoover to clean another hoover come under the "n+1" category ? ...at what point do/can you have too many hoover's ?

• Like 1

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

I made a big mistake of vacuuming some Indian spices a few months ago. All this time later my house still smells of a curry takeaway when I vacuum. BTW, any tips on cleaning he HEPA filter?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Another thought crossed my mind.....does buying a hoover to clean another hoover come under the "n+1" category ? ...at what point do/can you have too many hoover's ?

It quickly creates a recursion and potentially a black hole. Be careful.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Zeak said:

...BTW, any tips on cleaning he HEPA filter?

They're washable IIRC (assuming it's a Dyson)

• Thanks 1

i wonder what said plug would taste like if dropped into a mug of hot water.....and would it be sacrilege to add milk...just a thought :classic_unsure:
Like nespresso I guess?? Maybe this is where it comes from?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Did someone say coffee?

Clooney vs Dyson!
Fight fight fight...!

I did just disassemble the conical filter thing and checked inside for coffee. Heck, i even tried dunking it to see if I could make an 'Airmericano' but there was only fluff, not coffee grounds. I always use it to clean round my espresso grinder so I must be lucky? All Dysonned coffee grounds end up in the plastic dust catcher.

• Like 2

I'm just loving reading about the 20 different ways you all have to clean a hoover that was originally marketed as being less effort and more effective than having to empty a bag every couple of months!

If it could talk, my 12 year old Sebo X4 would be quietly chuckling and shaking its head...

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, hotmetal said:

...I did just disassemble the conical filter thing and checked inside for coffee. Heck, i even tried dunking it to see if I could make an 'Airmericano'....

lol...ah well, better luck next time.😀

• 2 weeks later...

It is a good thing that she wants everything clean. Well, it might be the cause of your fight so you also have to adapt some of her habits and learn how to somehow do it as well. This will strengthen your relationship and will also show that you appreciate and understand her.

4 hours ago, AureaOli said:

It is a good thing that she wants everything clean. Well, it might be the cause of your fight so you also have to adapt some of her habits and learn how to somehow do it as well. This will strengthen your relationship and will also show that you appreciate and understand her.

I fixed her dyson, that's more than enough relationship strengthening ;)

• 3 weeks later...