IGNORED

Mokka Pot advice

I got rid of my old Mokka Pot when I got the Gaggia Classic, but might have another go with one.  I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind helping?

• Is Bialetti the best, or are they all very similar
  • Any other brands stand out
  • If I get a 6 cup, can I half fill it for a smaller drink
  • Is Stainless Steel advisable over aluminium

I have a Niche grinder, so confident I'll be able to get the best out of it.

Thinking of using it to make a nice, large mug of coffee to add milk to, so I'm thinking a 6 cup size will get me 2 drinks?

Anything smaller than 6 cup I find faffy, and pointless, but I drink it strong. I'd always personally choose steel anything over aluminium, but that may be me being over health cautious. I'm no expert though, it's my holiday camping coffee of choice as it's an all in one thing over a tiny gas stove!

I'm no expert, but for what it's worth: 

Alessi are also very well made - you might prefer the designs. 

You can't half fill a 6 cup as they are designed to work for that number of cups. I.e. that amount of water through that much coffee - someone who knows physics will be better able to explain. 6 cups for 2 drinks sounds right. 

Aluminium won't work on induction without an induction plate. 

Watch James Hoffman's video.

This is a good thread of you've not read it:

Apparently an aeropress filter on top of the coffee can lead to good results in the cup. Not tried it yet. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, SuffolkDoug said:

IApparently an aeropress filter on top of the coffee can lead to good results in the cup. Not tried it yet. 

It does indeed. It gives a good, nice, clean cup. I find Mokka pot too strong sometimes, and there's a lot of silt in the cup in the end. With the Aeropress filter on top of the coffee, you get none of that. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

I've tried making coffee away from home in many different ways and the best solution I've found so far is the Mokka pot. We needed something that would make coffee where there is no electricity. Mokka will work on gas, campfire, or solid fuel stove.

Ours is an 8 cup Aluminium job, just for two. We always fill grounds (hand grinder) and water to the top and get coffee that we like.

Have tried a 6 cup stainless one and not noticed much difference, except that it seems tiny. The pot is supposed to work on induction but you may find that a sensitive hob doesn't like the small diameter of the base. 6 cup is adequate for two and, maybe a better size. Stainless should not taste but I've not noticed over Aluminium, maybe I've got accustomed to it, and there have been doubts about Aluminium affecting your health (dementia? - could explain some things).

I’ve used both aluminium and stainless steel versions of the Bialetti - I much prefer the stainless steel ones. They tend to be used rarely by me and the s/s ones are much easier to keep clean. I always use gas, so that isn’t a factor for me. I have a cast iron stand that sits over the gas ring creating a stable base for the smaller versions.

Regards,
John

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, hubcap said:

@RobbieTheTruth, I used the aluminium type for a start but swopped to the Bialetti Venus stainless version.

As above, I put a aeropress filter on top of the coffee, which stops any sludge coming through.

I much prefer the stainless version tbh.

Thanks!  Just ordered the Venus.

I prefer the design on the aluminium ones - any idea why the steel ones are round and the aluminium ones are hexagonal?

Is it an identifier, or is it harder to shape steel in that way?

On 19/11/2020 at 15:04, RobbieTheTruth said:

Please respond!  I want to buy one

If you get a bigger one - you will use more coffee, however, anything under 6 cups is just going to give you a tiny amount ( no matter how I try, and even James hoffman has mentioned this, there is always some water left int he bottom chamber - so the top chamber never holds a full 6 cups)

I use a 6 cup, and I use it just for me - making cappucino's ( well, not real ones as i don;t have a steam machine or an espresso machine - but as close as I can get with my set =up here)

I could possibly eek it out to make one other flat white, if it was very weak.

so my recommendation would be a 6 cup for one, if you see what I mean, but I know nothing😺

On 25/11/2020 at 19:21, Catlady101 said:

If you get a bigger one - you will use more coffee, however, anything under 6 cups is just going to give you a tiny amount ( no matter how I try, and even James hoffman has mentioned this, there is always some water left int he bottom chamber - so the top chamber never holds a full 6 cups)

I use a 6 cup, and I use it just for me - making cappucino's ( well, not real ones as i don;t have a steam machine or an espresso machine - but as close as I can get with my set =up here)

I could possibly eek it out to make one other flat white, if it was very weak.

so my recommendation would be a 6 cup for one, if you see what I mean, but I know nothing😺

Nice one. I've gone with 6 Cup Bialetti Venus (stainless steel)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RobbieTheTruth said:

Interesting - would like to have one of these.  Does it say how much?

Has to be bought elsewhere

The infamous Caffeitalia has them for £13.20

Your choice wether you use them.

18 hours ago, RobbieTheTruth said:

Interesting - would like to have one of these.  Does it say how much?

7 hours ago, hubcap said:

Has to be bought elsewhere

The infamous Caffeitalia has them for £13.20

Your choice wether you use them.

https://shop.gardellicoffee.com/equipment/232-189-basket-for-moka-competition-series-eb-lab#/45-cups-1_cup

• Like 1