ECM Mechanika IV Profi.

Haven't been on here for ages.  To be honest I've been settled with the coffee making set up that I finished up with and have been making one milky coffee and one less than milky coffee every day for the past four years.

The grinder is a Eureka Olympus 75E with titanium burrs and was bought at the same time as the ECM.

Everything has come from Bella Barista. They were excellent at the time and remain so.

Both machines have performed utterly faultlessly  (well, up to recently  ... the pump has become noisy but I suspect a replacement will sort that  .... maybe a new pump is a small price to pay for four years impeccable service).

If anyone has been considering an ECM machine (or has been considering buying from Bella Barista) thern I can speak from first hand experience and say I don't think you'd go wrong.

I grease the ball joints on the two wands when needed, I take the shower screen out every other day, I do a backflush after every use and use bicarb of soda to clean the machine ... the water is soft here (no limescale) and I use a jug filter to fill the tank.

That's it.

I'm happy.

A recently acquired ECM Mechanika Profi Rotary Pump + an equally recent Eureka Olympus 75 which, apparently, has Titanium burrs...which I gather is a good thing :-)

2 minutes ago, DevonStan said:

and use bicarb of soda to clean the machine

The shiny stainless steel panels? Is there a benefit in using bicarb soda rather than just water?

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

No, I don't rely on Bicarb for the panels, just the inner gubbins - there are better products for that.

In fact I'm not saying that bicarb. is an approved solution - it's just that I add a quarter teaspoon to the tank every couple of fills and it seems to have kept everything clean during ownership.  I very rarely use a stronger solution and do a "De-scale".

I do use a spray bottle to spray clean cold water upwards into the shower screen after every use and take the shower screen out every couple of uses and the E61 is spotless.

Edited by DevonStan
  • Like 1

A recently acquired ECM Mechanika Profi Rotary Pump + an equally recent Eureka Olympus 75 which, apparently, has Titanium burrs...which I gather is a good thing :-)

47 minutes ago, DevonStan said:

No, I don't rely on Bicarb for the panels, just the inner gubbins - there are better products for that.

In fact I'm not saying that bicarb. is an approved solution - it's just that I add a quarter teaspoon to the tank every couple of fills and it seems to have kept everything clean during ownership.  I very rarely use a stronger solution and do a "De-scale".

I do use a spray bottle to spray clean cold water upwards into the shower screen after every use and take the shower screen out every couple of uses and the E61 is spotless.

Just on the bicarb into the tank.... I use distilled water + bicarb as a buffer. 0.1g per litre. It raises alkalinity and PH, ultimately affects taste and mutes acidity (and that’s fine with distilled water because otherwise coffee is very bright and dull). At that quantity is not detrimental to the machine nor keeps things clean and descaled inside (so, I’m not sure what the purpose of adding a quarter teaspoon to the tank after other fill is) but it might be adverse, taste-wise to what ends up in the cup. 

instead of spraying cold water into the shower screen - I don’t think it does any benefit -, you are better off with a small flush afterwards and clean with a cloth or brush or something. Removing the shower screen every other day is definitely the right thing to do.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Well, that's put me straight 🙂

As stated, I'm not saying that what I've been doing all this time is necessarily right but, speaking personally, I'm not conscious of a change of taste and, with regard to  ... "so, I’m not sure what the purpose of adding a quarter teaspoon to the tank after other fill is" ... I'm not saying it actually does have any effect but the machine's internals seem to have been running well for the past four years (i.e. no apparent need for regular descaling) and the machine hasn't missed a beat up to now (except, as mentioned, the pump probably needs changing) so I see no reason to change unless I get to find out I've been doing it wrong and it'll all come back to haunt me.

To spray the shower head upwards takes approximately 5 seconds so I'll carry on doing that, and, as I said in my first post, I do a backflush after every use, but thanks for reminding me.

Edited by DevonStan