IGNORED

For Sale; The four Classics of the Apocalypse.

Ok, This was supposed to start with a video of the four Classics all working but for some reason the video won't behave!

I've tried using Streamable but it's coming out as a HTML file. I need to spend more time working on it and will post later.

Meanwhile still photos only. I have done a write up on each machine with pictures and will post subsequently on each machine during the day on this thread.

Initially these are prices for the four Classics.

Far left a 1998 Gold coloured chrome plated machine, refurbished in the steam punk style. Price £239 plus £15 P&P. If Rancillio Sylvia steam wand required with a Classic nut having been fitted on it, as you cannot remove the original gold plated wand's nut without cutting through the wand, add £15 to price. Slim drip tray and normal height tray with brass outlet pipes included in price.

Third from left 2014 brushed steel finish classic. £239 plus £15 P&P fitted with Rancilio Sylvia steam wand included in price. The slim drip tray is brand new bought from MrShades and recently opened. If required add £20 to price as it cost me more than that plus the postage cost! Otherwise it just comes with the taller drip tray.

Second from left 2015 Remodelled to a pre 2015 Classic. £249 plus £15 P&P The slim drip tray is again brand new bought from MrShades and recently opened. If required add £20 to price as it cost me more than that plus the postage cost! Otherwise it just comes with the taller drip tray.

Far right 1997 Gold coloured chrome plated machine. £239 plus £15 P&P. If a new Rancillio Sylvia steam wand is required with a Classic nut having been fitted on it, as you cannot remove the original gold plated wand's nut without cutting through the wand, add £15 to price. Slim drip tray and normal height tray with brass outlet pipes included in price

2.jpg

3.jpg

1s.jpg

• Like 9

Question, maybe to help prospective buyers too: Why are all of the gauges, with the exception of one, not at zero, even though the machines are not brewing?

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

7 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Question, maybe to help prospective buyers too: Why are all of the gauges, with the exception of one, not at zero, even though the machines are not brewing?

Residual pressure left in the machines after operating. They would if left gradually drop to zero

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Complete strip down descale and overhaul of all machines, including boilers, group heads, OPV’s, solenoid valves and steam valves. Replacements fitted where required and tubes and pipes cleaned checked or replaced

All new o rings and gaskets have been coated with Molykote 111 silicone compound, a food safe lubricant used to extend life of elastomar materials

New 316 grade stainless steel bolts used throughout or marine grade stainless steel when available, they were all fitted with a high grade lubrication/anti seize paste to resist galling and corrosion.

1998 Gold coloured chrome plated machine, left one in the video, refurbished in the steam punk style. Comes with the brown slim drip tray, with gold plated handle at front, gold plated grid, and new brass long outlet tubing; also with the normal height drip tray and a shorter new brass outlet tubing. Fitted a new brass shower holding plate to keep it in the steam punk theme, and new shower screen. New cafelet group seal fitted. Steam thermostat upgraded to the 155°C one. New EP5 Pump. This machine has the 1425Watt boiler. It also has the larger 3 way Parker solenoid valve reset to 9.5 bar (producing 9 bar through the portafilter). The front mounted pessure gauge is a black faced Orman gauge, keeping to the steam punk theme. The gauge is not oil filled and will show some needle bounce as shown in the video, it’s usual to take reading as midway between the needle vibration as the given pressure.

Water tank has an internal crack at the bottom, common to Gaggia tanks. You cannot feel it inside or outside the plastic. I had it full of water for a week on the window sill, and no leaks as per usual. Corrosion points on machine are small surface spots only, under tray and water tank, too minor to address in any way, otherwise I would have treated them.

Comes with original gold portafilter in good condition, a double unpressurised basket, a double pressurised basket without the perfect crema pin as the old portafilters have two exit holes into the cup. Instead of a pin there is a full diameter plastic piece that covers the whole of the bottom inside of the portafilter with the pressurised basket going on top of it, supplied.

As the nut is non removable from the original gold steam wand without cutting through the wand, I have obtained Rancilio Sylvia Steam wands and sourced and modified the correct nuts, to screw straight onto the Classic now fitted on the wand. For improved steaming you can remove the gold steam wand and use the Rancillio one and still have the original to replace when required. If the Rancillio steam wand is wanted with the correct Gaggia nut, put £15 on top of asking price, and it will be packed with the machine.

4.jpg

IMG_20200924_105930054.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 1

2014 Classic 3rd from left in video was bought by me as a possible donor spare part machine, for the 2015 model stripped out case I had. Once looked over I realised it was in such good condition apart from the lack of maintenance that I had to restore it for further years of use. Case inside and out in perfect condition. A few scratches on the top cup warmer. Total descale of all parts and the usual all bolts and seals replaced for new, including new cafelat group seal. New shower plate and screen fitted. Every part lubricated to prevent future corrosion.

1200W power, doesn’t make much difference to the 1425W power as it is recommended to heat all machines up for 20 minutes to ensure head group and portafilter basket are all up to temperature as well as boiler, before pulling a shot. Solenoid (smaller) and OPV stripped fully and descaled. (it is recommended to use soft, bottled water or RO water at all times) Front oil filled pressure gauge fitted and OPV set for 9 bar at portafilter. New Rancilio Sylvia steam wand fitted and tested.

Classic 2014.jpg

IMG_20201022_142948803.jpg

2014 wiring used as copy for 2015 wires.jpg

• Like 1

The 2015 Classic second from left in video was bought at the first Lockdown, social distancing and I didn’t realise it was a 2015 until I got back home after an 80 mile round trip! Bought from a young mother with the obligatory screaming kids in the background I decided in a nark to keep it! The case being less than 5 years old was perfect except for cup scratches on the lid. I entirely stripped out the insides and dumped them in the wheelie bin! Later to regret as I had to build a new wiring loom, once I decided to convert it to a pre 2015 and could have used some of the electrical connectors. Too late, bin persons (lol) had come and gone!

I picked up a Gaggia new baby locally and then had a boiler and head group from it without the OPV or Steam valve assembly but with the smaller 3 way solenoid valve. By the way do not be over concerned about a smaller solenoid. If you are getting into coffee you will know not to use hard tap water which could eventually block the smaller holes in the smaller solenoid with lime scale. Use soft tap water, bottled or RO water and the smaller solenoid will last years in regular use.

The redesign and locating of parts took me some time. Luckily I had a bit of help from a couple of forum members who sold me the steam pipe brass set that connects to the steam valve and the same person had a used steam knob and steam protection, these parts if bought new are most expensive. I had to buy the Steam valve new. An OPV was located in my spares bought previously, stripped down, checked and when up and running set to 9 bar at portafilter pressure (9.5 bar on front oil filled gauge as pressure losses occur through the system) Luckily the baby also had an E5 pump. It’s the correct pump but white coloured that is used on some models as it has a higher melting point than the red coloured pumps.

I bought a used wiring loom from a forum member for a different coffee machine but with some same connections that seem to be difficult to locate otherwise. I built a wiring loom, learning to crimp on the way and copying the 2014 loom from the other machine and finally tested it in the 2014 machine for a day, all good, before fitting it to the 2015 case machine.

A big job was making a platform to mount the pump on and also the metal pump support. I copied the pump support from the 2014 one, locating the same galvanised metal, with the shape cut out by drilling a large hole in position and dremelling and filing to the correct shape. I used 3mm nuts and hex head bolts to hold the spring in position for holding the new Eaton pump support to the metal pump support. The mount for the metal pump support I made from stainless steel hollow box section, epoxy glued in position on the back shelf of the Classic. I drilled 3mm holes out of the top of the box section to hold the metal pump support in place and used 3mm hex head bolts and nuts that can be undone easily enough. I used thin tweezers to hold the nut in place inside the hollow box section and screwed in the hex bolt. There is plenty of room inside the machine for removal of the pump if needed.

The Platform weighed in at 120g not a lot but I drilled and added two nuts and bolts between the back panel and the back spot welded lip, for extra strength.

I had to buy a new outlet pipe fitting and nut for outlet fitting (price made me whinge!) and make the outlet pipe.

New shower head holding plate and a high spec IMS shower screen and cafelat group seal.

Last but not least bought a new 3 button main switch and Rancilio Sylvia steam wand, both fitted.

Normal height drip tray supplied

Slim drip tray bought new perfect and just unwrapped from MrShades. Add on £20 to price if required and the longer outlet pipe. They cost me more plus the postage charge!

Classic 2015.jpg

IMG_20201014_133349209.jpg

IMG_20200819_122147250.jpg

Edited by ratty
Extra picture of hex bolts in back panel of machine

Congratulations @ratty

A newbie here but It looks like an impressive job to me! 

I am thinking about buying one of the 4 classics of the apocalypse. 

I read everything (the 4th machine still to be uploaded) and I reckon that I didn't understand half (3/4) of the text 😅

The one that it looks more appealing to me (it is likely I am missing something though) is the 2014 model. Can I have your views/advice on that that? 

21 minutes ago, Hopebrewer said:

Congratulations @ratty

A newbie here but It looks like an impressive job to me! 

I am thinking about buying one of the 4 classics of the apocalypse. 

I read everything (the 4th machine still to be uploaded) and I reckon that I didn't understand half (3/4) of the text 😅

The one that it looks more appealing to me (it is likely I am missing something though) is the 2014 model. Can I have your views/advice on that that? 

All the machines are rebuilt to for me,  a high standard. People would choose different machines for different reasons. The 2014 is a great machine no reason it won't last another 20 years looked after, but I could say the same about them all! The one I like the best is the 2015 shell that I rebuilt. Probably got the most newest parts. Convincing some people it's a top machine could be problematic when it has the 2015 label underneath! Anyone that knows their Classics and wanted it as a keeper wouldn't be put off though. Finding that person may take some time! I would hate to ebay it before Xmas but if I do it will have a solid reserve price otherwise I will keep it

Edited by ratty
extra info
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, ratty said:

All the machines are rebuilt to for me,  a high standard. People would choose different machines for different reasons. The 2014 is a great machine no reason it won't last another 20 years looked after, but I could say the same about them all! The one I like the best is the 2015 shell that I rebuilt. Probably got the most newest parts. Convincing some people it's a top machine could be problematic when it has the 2015 label underneath! Anyone that knows their Classics and wanted it as a keeper wouldn't be put off though. Finding that person may take some time!

You can tell all the effort you put rebuilding the 2015!  I had the same felling about finding a buyer.

I am interested in the 2014 model. 

• Like 1

Going to leave the fourth machine post until the morning.

Been writing up etc since 6 this morning and need to chill and watch some sport on TV (and a bottle of wine!)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Hopebrewer said:

Just let me know how do you want me to proceed.

Will message you tomorrow morning. Take it for now as the 2014 is reserved for you

• Like 1

I don't mean to clog up this thread, so mods please delete if inappropriate, but these restorations are very impressive work and the stories about them were very entertaining. Hope they all go to good homes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Onto the fourth Classic on the far right of first picture at top of page.

1997 Gold coloured machine on the far right of the video is the oldest machine and although the components are the same as the 1998 machine, the back power cable is permanently wired inside the machine, connected to the loom by a mounted terminal block connector. Initially I thought it might be added on at a later service never having a machine this old before, but the plug has an old Gaggia sticker on it (shown on picture) so I think it must have been original to early models. I did remove the electrical connection from the block and cleaned it all up, it was slightly dusty!

1425W of power and all brass OPV, large Parker solenoid and brass steam valve. As with the other machines everything was stripped down, cleaned, descaled and checked. All new seals and bolts throughout, stainless steel marine grade where available or the higher spec A4 stainless steel.

New shower head holding plate and shower screen and cafelat group seal.

There was some minor surface corrosion that I decided to treat. It was only surface corrosion but as always looked worse after treatment! Treated it first with Loctite rust treatment that turns surface rust black on application. I then sprayed the whole area under the drip tray and water tank and inside the machine with Rustoleum Crystal Clear which seals and protects from any further corrosion. (See picture of area) I did this to prevent any further corrosion and would expect the treatments to last another 24 years without further damage occurring.

The slim drip tray comes with the price given.

If you want the Rancilio steam wand and the brass connecting nut to fit straight onto the classic, add £15 to the price please. Otherwise it comes with the original gold plated steam wand only.

IMG_20201112_091440063.jpg

IMG_20201112_093746621.jpg

IMG_20201110_110434978.jpg

IMG_20201110_101619653.jpg

Edited by ratty
for clarity
  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

Donate / Sponsor

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo