IGNORED

Grinder help!

Afternoon guys

I’ve recently taken the jump and brought a HX machine, upgraded from a Gaggia Classic.
So I feel that my next step is to upgrade my grinder to step in line with the HX machine and create a marriage made in heaven which will hopefully help to create consistent espressos worthy of taking my time to enjoy.

My current grinders are Gaggia MDF and a Spaziale Top (apparently this is a rebadged Macap4?)

Ohh and my new HX machine is a Nuova Simonelli Oscar II.

My budget is as high as the wife will let me go but I’d prefer the lower end and secondhand. Happy to tinker and change/upgrade items too.

Hit me with your thoughts ideas please. 

Cheers

Wayne

Eureka Helios 80 is what I have upgraded to recently from a 15 year old Mazzer Mini. Really fast and consistent doses and a touchscreen that is fast and not laggy at all. If above budget could go for the Helios 65 which is from my understanding the same with smaller burrs

Will

Depends on how much effort you want to put in! I went for a Weber HG-1 ($1000) to accompany my La Pavoni, and I suppose if you want Titan burrs for that money WITHOUT loads of retention there aren’t a huge number of other options.

I say that, because the going rate for a Mazzer Robur secondhand on eBay is about £700. If your throughput is decent and you don’t mind a touch of modding to eliminate the retention issue, then this would be awesome. I didn’t go down this route because of its sheer immense size.

If you prefer a flat burr character then I did notice two Mazzer Royals in the first sale section recently, for as low as £300; that could be a pretty amazing option? IIRC one was already setup for single dosing.

james 

Depends on how much effort you want to put in! I went for a Weber HG-1 ($1000) to accompany my La Pavoni, and I suppose if you want Titan burrs for that money WITHOUT loads of retention there aren’t a huge number of other options.
I say that, because the going rate for a Mazzer Robur secondhand on eBay is about £700. If your throughput is decent and you don’t mind a touch of modding to eliminate the retention issue, then this would be awesome. I didn’t go down this route because of its sheer immense size.

If you prefer a flat burr character then I did notice two Mazzer Royals in the first sale section recently, for as low as £300; that could be a pretty amazing option? IIRC one was already setup for single dosing.

james 

James

As much as I’d love to spend £1000 I don’t think my marriage would last too long after [emoji23] although she is very forgiving!

I will take a look at the Mazzer Royals though, cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk