Cracked mushroom replacement

Well, I took my Appartamento group head apart today and have found a crack beginning to propagate around the top of my ceramic mushroom. Stupidly, I've refitted it - I fully expect it to have broken off when I next try and disassemble it. 

Has anyone replaced theirs with a chrome brass mushroom? I don't want to pay the best part of £100 for a ceramic replacement only for it to break again. Will a generic E61 mushroom fit, and does anyone know where is best to get one? 

20201110_190505.jpg

Edited by Pablosammy

Rocket Appartamento - Niche Zero - 58.4mm Motta tamper - VST 18g competition basket - Brewista scales - MBK Aergrind - Aeropress

• Pablosammy changed the title to Cracked mushroom replacement
  • Thanks 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Thanks guys. theespressoshop appear to do one as well, I'll ring around and ask directly. Cheers for your help. 

Rocket Appartamento - Niche Zero - 58.4mm Motta tamper - VST 18g competition basket - Brewista scales - MBK Aergrind - Aeropress

OK, I ordered one from the theespressoshop and found it to be cheaply made - lots of sharp edges, machining marks and flaking chrome. Looking at the product picture on BB, it looks as though that one will have a similar finish. 

I'd really like one that matches the high quality finish of the Rocket part, as it is quite a prominent part, but I'm getting frustrated finding one... 😕

20201116_131916.jpg

56 minutes ago, Pablosammy said:

Hmm... new toys are always tempting! 

Apparently Rocket is back onto the Ceramic Mushrooms... because.... err... To quote the link below:

All Rocket Espresso machines are now shipped with ceramic mushroom in the group head. Ceramic mushrooms eliminate scale build up and associated deterioration extending the life of the group.

https://shop.rocket-espresso.com/products/ceramci-mushroom-for-e61-group-head?_pos=1&_sid=248ad1cad&_ss=r

I'd like to invite Rocket and show them my ceramic toilet cistern and prove them wrong. 

• Haha 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

14 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Apparently Rocket is back onto the Ceramic Mushrooms... because.... err... To quote the link below:

https://shop.rocket-espresso.com/products/ceramci-mushroom-for-e61-group-head?_pos=1&_sid=248ad1cad&_ss=r

I'd like to invite Rocket and show them my ceramic toilet cistern and prove them wrong. 

Where is it attached to you coffee machine, is this an add on:confused:

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Have you tried cooling flushes? (sorry...)

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

All Rocket Espresso machines are now shipped with ceramic mushroom in the group head. Ceramic mushrooms eliminate scale build up and associated deterioration extending the life of the group.

I really don't know why companies make these claims and how they get away with it. They don't and can't affect scale build up. Scale may not adhere to ceramic as well as metals but scale is going to form in the pipes and boilers all the same and it will still form in the group if it is going to mushroom or no mushroom. 

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

The thing about mushrooms, they’re kept in the dark and fed a load of . . . 

Rocket’s assertion re scale sounds like mushroom fodder to me.

• Haha 1

Profitec Pro 600, Niche Zero, 1Zpresso JX Pro, Osmio Zero

If I could think of something witty and original to put in my signature, this is where it would be . . .

Maybe they are Rocket Magic Mushrooms? 

8 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Is that where you put the toad stool? ;)

• Haha 1