IGNORED

Choosing my first espresso machine

1 minute ago, Hopebrewer said:

Thank you @OliG for your thoughts. It seems like a big piece of equipment this Mazzer Super Jolly! I read that you can find this grinder second hand for a good price. Is there any place/shop I should keep an eye on for this?

It is a pretty big piece of kit (designed as a commercial grinder) but without the hopper it will still fit under a standard kitchen wall unit. 

Best place to look for them is probably the for sale section of the forum or maybe ebay. 

• Like 1

I agree a used Classic is a good option and by the sounds of it you are going to have some excellent ones to pick from.

I would say though unless you are trying to keep the budget as tight as possible I would look at a better grinder than the MC2 if you intend to really get in to this as a hobby. The MC2 is fine but that is about it. Step up to the base model Mignon Manuale and you will get a far more consistent, faster and less clumpy grind. It will hold its value better and for build quality there is just no contest. It will also pair nicely with a heat exchange machine if and when you decide to upgrade.

I appreciate I am a seller so I would say that wouldn't but I am sure others would agree.

• Like 2

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Bezzera machines back in stock!

12 hours ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

I agree a used Classic is a good option and by the sounds of it you are going to have some excellent ones to pick from.

I would say though unless you are trying to keep the budget as tight as possible I would look at a better grinder than the MC2 if you intend to really get in to this as a hobby. The MC2 is fine but that is about it. Step up to the base model Mignon Manuale and you will get a far more consistent, faster and less clumpy grind. It will hold its value better and for build quality there is just no contest. It will also pair nicely with a heat exchange machine if and when you decide to upgrade.

I appreciate I am a seller so I would say that wouldn't but I am sure others would agree.

Thanks for your view @BlackCatCoffee I though that the grinding quality was not that different. I appreciate that you pointed it out

1 hour ago, Hopebrewer said:

Thanks for your view @BlackCatCoffee I though that the grinding quality was not that different. I appreciate that you pointed it out

Grind quality will be very different between the two. There a couple of threads on here comparing them if memory serves correctly.

• Like 1

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Bezzera machines back in stock!

If your going in it long term  neither Sage or Gaggia will suit you buy once if you can afford it. I know few people on here reputable member as a Sage.  Really have good think read and budget.

• Like 2
On 10/11/2020 at 21:54, Hopebrewer said:

Hi everyone, 

I am looking to buy my first espresso machine. I hope you can give me some advise.

I would drink lattes and espressos. I have been using a coffee pods machine for a long time. I am not too picky but I have been dreaming for a good coffee for a while now!😂😂 

My buying plan. I reckon that at the beginning I was just looking for a (appliance type😅) machine. Reading your expert comments I realised that I better plan getting a good grinder too. My plan is to buy a starter (reasonably priced) machine and use a pressurized filter first. I would keep looking for a grinder and eventually buy it so I can use the proper baskets. I haven't thought about performing any sort of modding in the short run. 

Budget. I will put myself a budget of around £500 machine + grinder. With this budged, I feel inclined to buy second-hand. Although with my current knowledge, it may be risky. ( I hope you can give me a hand!)

Which coffee machine? Reading you, it is clear that a Gaggia Classic is the usual newbie choice. I am aware that pre 2015 models are the ones to go for, unless you target the Classic Pro. If I am not mistaken, I understand that other decent newbie Gaggia machines are the Gaggia Baby and the Gaggia Cubika. I have no idea if there is any precaution to take into account If you came across some of these options.

Which grinder? What I understood is that the grinders that seems to resonate the most in the community are the Mignon Specialita and the Niche Zero (although I think it is a bit too expensive for my initial plans). 

So, I guess my questions are:

Would you recommend me a Baby or Cubika as a newbie machine? Or I should target a Classic/Classic Pro? Should I take something into account if I find a G Baby or Cubika?

Is there any other Grinder I should have a look at a part from the Eureka Mignon ?

Also, any advice about where to buy it would be much appreciated. 

Thank you for you time in advance!

Thanks for posting this, in a similar boat being a newbie. If you don’t mind...what have you decide to go for? 

On 22/11/2020 at 18:11, Lyt_han said:

Thanks for posting this, in a similar boat being a newbie. If you don’t mind...what have you decide to go for? 

Sorry for my late reply @Lyt_han. It depends on your budget and if you are willing to buy new or you are happy with second hand. 

I went for a Gaggia Classic that I bought in the sell section (I wanted a trusty source). I am still looking for a grinder. I may delay my search for a while because I have to travel and I will be away for a months an a half. Some people has recommended Eureka Mignon (manuale or Specialita) as a nice, and good espresso grinder. There are other options that you can read above. Buying in the sells section seems a good idea as well.

I hope it helps.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Hopebrewer said:

Sorry for my late reply @Lyt_han. It depends on your budget and if you are willing to buy new or you are happy with second hand. 

I went for a Gaggia Classic that I bought in the sell section (I wanted a trusty source). I am still looking for a grinder. I may delay my search for a while because I have to travel and I will be away for a months an a half. Some people has recommended Eureka Mignon (manuale or Specialita) as a nice, and good espresso grinder. There are other options that you can read above. Buying in the sells section seems a good idea as well.

I hope it helps.  

Thats given me something to think about. I was also looking into the same grinder but Id discounted the sale section. As it’s my first machine I’d rather just go back to manufacturers if something goes wrong but having looked at your seller I may rethink my decision now. Thanks for the advice and safe trip away 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Lyt_han said:

Thats given me something to think about. I was also looking into the same grinder but Id discounted the sale section. As it’s my first machine I’d rather just go back to manufacturers if something goes wrong but having looked at your seller I may rethink my decision now. Thanks for the advice and safe trip away 

Especially if it's nearly new and has a transferrable warranty from Bella Barista. That's pretty much as good as a new item for less.

For other things, some machines are so well understood, with so many spares and mods around, that used is sometimes even better than new, assuming you have some technical skills to deal with them. 

Appliance grade machines will be better than pods, and beat instant out of the park. But they don't last and you can't upgrade them, and they don't offer a path to upgrade and they also lose value fast. It's your choice where you spend your money, just remember false economies are plentiful in this hobby.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, allikat said:

Especially if it's nearly new and has a transferrable warranty from Bella Barista. That's pretty much as good as a new item for less.

For other things, some machines are so well understood, with so many spares and mods around, that used is sometimes even better than new, assuming you have some technical skills to deal with them. 

Appliance grade machines will be better than pods, and beat instant out of the park. But they don't last and you can't upgrade them, and they don't offer a path to upgrade and they also lose value fast. It's your choice where you spend your money, just remember false economies are plentiful in this hobby.

That’s why I’m glad to have found the forum Tbh wasn’t sure where to start just knew I needed good coffee. Given  Christmas is round the corner I might just keep an eye out on the sale section given what you’ve said, thanks much appreciated 

• Like 2