Analyse my shot

First shot with a bottomless portafilter... critical analysis welcome🙂!

The coffee has a surprisingly different (nicer) taste compared to my standard portafilter. Shot time was a bit short so will grind a bit finer for next attempt.

Some spritzing there and your timing might be a bit on the short side. If you stir the grinds before tamping - good idea to give the portafilter a sharp but not excessive tap on the counter to settle the grinds. Grind a bit finer to extend the shot time too. But, in all things coffee,  be guided by how it tastes.

• Like 1

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Little sprays of water caused by channelling - happening around 13 - 14 secs. Channelling can be caused by several factors - most common is prep technique. Stir the grinds in a toothpick or similar, then tap the portafilter as described above. Don't be tempted to do it more than once. Then tamp. Counterintuitively, channelling can also be caused by grinding too fine but don't think that's the case in your video.

• Like 2

When channelling/spritzing occurs, water finds the path of least resistance which is why it spritzes out faster than the rest of the water which is having to be driven, with resistance, through the bed of the puck. If there is any channelling, there is no resistance for the water.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the comments/explanations🙂. Next steps for me are:

• Finer grind
  • Tap the portafilter to settle the grinds. I stir/break up clumps with a toothpick already.
  • Clean/inspect the gasket

To clean the gasket - run the pump and used a proprietary brush to remove any grinds. Main thing with barista prep is not to over complicate. Find what works for you and stick to it. 

• Like 2

For today's effort I dialled a finer grind and got an extraction time of 23sec, which is heading in the right direction. I also tried tapping the PF to settle the grinds before tamping. However I still had a bit of spritzing going on and what looked like some channeling down the edge of the basket - one of the basket holes was firing out a jet of fairly clear water rather than espresso. No video as I knocked the camera over 1/2 way through the shot🤭

Overall the coffee tasted reasonably good, and markedly different than my stock basket/PF. The new basket is a good bit deeper so may be allowing for a bit better water dispersion between the screen and the top of the puck.

Eureka Mignon doserless (2015 model), with original burrs.
I have dismantled and cleaned it internally/inspected the burrs a few times.
I had a Mignon for 5+ years and recall getting more spritzing than I do with my Niche. Not sure what the answer is. Maybe keep tinkering with prep to see if anything works, but at the same time you want to keep it as simple as possible.
  • Like 1

Just looked at the Niche grinder and am quite intrigued by it, especially the "zero retention" concept (I change bean type often and find that the Mignon can retain quite a bit of the previous grind). How do you find it? Is it a huge leap forward compared to the Mignon?

16 minutes ago, Scro said:

Just looked at the Niche grinder and am quite intrigued by it, especially the "zero retention" concept (I change bean type often and find that the Mignon can retain quite a bit of the previous grind). How do you find it? Is it a huge leap forward compared to the Mignon?

Less than half a gram difference between wholebean in & grinds out (usually between 0.1 & 0.3g).

• Like 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

I don't think it's an exageration to say the Niche is one of the biggest things to hit the home barista world in recent times. It has its own thread on here.

For what it's worth, I love it and it's a big step up from the Mignon in terms of usability. I wouldn't say the taste in the cup is world's apart, but definitely better and more consistent results.

• Like 2