Really got into it. Started with a terrible loaf that was burnt on the outside, raw inside. Skills! Two attempts later and I had a delicious wholemeal bread. Sadly I left it to rise a bit long and it "splodged" flatter, but today I'm going to try something to manage that - a chouche. 

IMG_20201102_095312.thumb.jpg.38ed64f9b2e64f27e85239e2b5d9cfb2.jpg

I also made bao buns a couple of times - absolutely gorgeous. Slightly technical for me, and interesting that it uses plain flour, not strong. Relies on both yeast and vinegar/baking powder for its texture, and is steamed to cook. 

IMG_20201031_192816.thumb.jpg.a0c45ab4970bbc467bb2c18feebc224f.jpg

IMG_20201031_195743.thumb.jpg.b2acacb074f52802fcf776e7fd8cf9e5.jpg

• Like 2

I tried bao buns for the first time last week which were actually very easy to make and even easier to cook in a steamer. Light fluffy and very moorish. I used a sort of BBQ mince mixture (didn't have any pulled pork to hand) with shredded cabbage and they were lush. The great thing about them is that you are not confined to savoury fillings either. I've seen custard, chocolate and fruit fillings which I will be having a go at too.

The Chinese use a very bleached flour called Mantou flour which makes them snowy white when cooked. Our white flour over here makes them look more of a creamy colour but doesn't in any way detract from the flavour. Apparantly though, a low protein flour produce a less chewy more fluffy texture which the Mantou flour does, so to get that texture with our plain flour, some cornflour is added.

• Like 2

Gaggia Classic w/silvia wand and PID, Brasilia RR55OD, Motta 58mm tamper, Motta Stainless Steel knock box, Motta Stainless Steel 350 & 500ml Milk Frothing Jugs, Brewista scales, Tiamo tamping station, Notneutral cups & mugs. Technovorm Mochamaster, Clever Dripper, Aeropress....Lots of determination.

• 2 weeks later...

I did it. I tried James Hoffman's ultimate coffee cake. 

90g sweet bourbon espresso from coffee compass (pulled as two shots, 19.5g in to 45g out - resulting espresso was not the best I've had from it, I usually do 17-18g in, but not bad!) and I used a filter roasted washed Ethiopian for the butter infusion to get something less roast. 

Review to come. But the butter cream is INSANE. a lot of faff but holy cow is it tasty. Amazing aroma, too. IMG_20201121_162832_257.thumb.jpg.4b5bbc38d345ef36f4fa66c1e21c0d5c.jpg

• Like 3