Clever Dripper Recipes

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd buy from here: https://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/products/item110303.aspx

Make the biggest brew you can (30g coffee 65-70g/L), maybe about 1+8 to 1+10 on V1 Feld? Water in first, or 2/3 in then coffee, muddle at top but don't sink it all. If it's the V2 Clever, a

You can't really aim for a drawdown time, best to aim for the grind & steep time that gives the sweetest extraction, then drawdown will be what it is.

Posted Images

I bought the bodum trivets and they are a perfect size. I think having one on top makes a noticeable difference to the heat of the brew on long steeps. 

The wrap will have to wait. Simply do not have time at the moment. 

Back to recipes.... 

For those that really enjoy long steeps, have you experimented with finer grinds on shorter steeps to increase extraction? 

I am totally in a comfort zone with 30-45min steeps and want a 5min option, but don't want to sacrifice extraction completely. 

1 hour ago, PortafilterProcrastinator said:

I am totally in a comfort zone with 30-45min steeps and want a 5min option, but don't want to sacrifice extraction completely.

This is tricky, because there is a wide 'bland/flat/generic/bitter' range. I don't think 5 min is long enough to get close to the long steep extractions. So for short steeps I purposely aim for a low extraction & steep coarse, 85-90g/L for 1-2min.

You could also try at the same grind as long steep, water in 1st, stir gently to fully wet the coffee, this could take 20s, then draw down at 30s, maybe a bit longer. It'll have a lot of mouth feel.

1 hour ago, MWJB said:

This is tricky, because there is a wide 'bland/flat/generic/bitter' range. I don't think 5 min is long enough to get close to the long steep extractions. So for short steeps I purposely aim for a low extraction & steep coarse, 85-90g/L for 1-2min.

You could also try at the same grind as long steep, water in 1st, stir gently to fully wet the coffee, this could take 20s, then draw down at 30s, maybe a bit longer. It'll have a lot of mouth feel.

Thanks

I'll give it a try. 

Have you found that what you use to stir makes a difference? Perhaps a difference in the amount of aggitation? 

17 minutes ago, PortafilterProcrastinator said:

Thanks

I'll give it a try. 

Have you found that what you use to stir makes a difference? Perhaps a difference in the amount of aggitation? 

I use an Aeropress paddle, or just a desert spoon, I put water in 1st & just make sure the coffee has no dry clumps visible.

Once the coffee is wet, much more agitation will make the cup bitter, not because of over-extraction, but because more particles will get into the cup.

4 hours ago, MWJB said:

I use an Aeropress paddle, or just a desert spoon, I put water in 1st & just make sure the coffee has no dry clumps visible.

Once the coffee is wet, much more agitation will make the cup bitter, not because of over-extraction, but because more particles will get into the cup.

Bingo - exactly why I asked th question. I've noted your comments on aggitation and bitterness before so wondered if some implements were better than others. 

On my long steeps I'm currently 50%ish water then coffee, then the rest of the water to cover/ sink etc. 

I'll dig my paddle out and have a go tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, PortafilterProcrastinator said:

On my long steeps I'm currently 50%ish water then coffee, then the rest of the water to cover/ sink etc

That might be enough, I don't sink all the grinds on a long steep.

12 hours ago, MWJB said:

That might be enough, I don't sink all the grinds on a long steep.

I'll try all the water and not sinking the grinds too. 

I am guessing this affects the level of extraction if the water is cooling whilst some of the grinds have not been submerged yet? i.e. the last grinds to submerge/ sink extract less than those earlier as the water is cooler. 

Does this affect extraction to a noticeable extent (not necessary taste, but if you are measuring with a VST)? 

P.S. Where do you get your Size 6 papers from? This is pretty much the only place I can find: 

https://www.hrhiggins.co.uk/product/accessories/accessories-for-coffee/filter-papers-size-6/ 

Edited by PortafilterProcrastinator
5 hours ago, PortafilterProcrastinator said:

I'll try all the water and not sinking the grinds too. 

I am guessing this affects the level of extraction if the water is cooling whilst some of the grinds have not been submerged yet? i.e. the last grinds to submerge/ sink extract less than those earlier as the water is cooler. 

Does this affect extraction to a noticeable extent (not necessary taste, but if you are measuring with a VST)? 

P.S. Where do you get your Size 6 papers from? This is pretty much the only place I can find: 

https://www.hrhiggins.co.uk/product/accessories/accessories-for-coffee/filter-papers-size-6/ 

Re.grinds/cooling/extraction later/less - just because grinds have sunk doesn't mean that they are fully extracted, just that they have sunk. The top of the slurry will be the hottest & most soluble. There's no practical way to measure the variation in extraction across the grinds, if there was a problem I'd guess it would show up in the brew...all I can detect is that in lower extracting steeps flavour generally tends to be not as good.

Extraction is simply a game of less v more (assuming you don't introduce non extraction related faults, like overly silty brews).

With the current Clever, I wouldn't add coffee first, even if this would result in higher extraction, because you will immediately flush silt through the paper, because of the large well under the filter. Yes, I use a VST, but I don't syringe filter the finer grind brews (technically I should, so make of that what you will).

Here are my last few Clever brews, sorted by brew time, then 'unfiltered TDSxbrew water weight', a couple of charts at the bottom...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19gYqlWnr_OLLQSj-z1G_gx_oFVwCRlXhN9yyYaCOITI/edit?usp=sharing

...these are all 1 cup brews, as that's what I mainly drink at the moment & 20min is as long as I can go before the coffee is too cool, I would recommend making larger brews.

Yes, I think the last #6 papers I got were from Hr Higgins, admittedly they are not easy to find in white. If you have a small kettle with a minimum boil of less than 400ml (don't burn out the household kettle doing this), you can weigh the cold brew water into the kettle & pour the boiling water into the brewer without fear of overflowing the filter paper with the #4s.

Edited by MWJB

I have a question:

Once I see a completely dry coffee bed on the Swissgold filter, lifting it leaves a puddle of liquid on paper filter. I am thinking that this liquid typically gives bitterness on the cup than a few extra grams of tasty coffee and should be chucked out. It takes about a min to see the full coffee bed on the SwissGold filter. 

What do you guys do please ? This is typically 15g-20g of liquid.

I am planning to grind coarser by 0.2 to 0.4 turns to go coarser espresso grind size to ascertain the left-over liquid on the paper filter. 

For the record,I get a clean good cup, it is not sour, nice fruity acidity but a bit bitter. 

The parameters are 20:225g, 1.6 turns on JX Pro, 30 mins, 165g on the cup, 55.1 deg C (after wrapping the clever on a woollen blanket). Btw, I will give the cup 7/9. 

Thx 

Edited by Like Medium Strong Coffee

“Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise”  - Sigmund Freud

3 hours ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

Once I see a completely dry coffee bed on the Swissgold filter, lifting it leaves a puddle of liquid on paper filter. I am thinking that this liquid typically gives bitterness on the cup than a few extra grams of tasty coffee and should be chucked out. It takes about a min to see the full coffee bed on the SwissGold filter. 

What do you guys do please ? This is typically 15g-20g of liquid.

This small amount of liquid would normally be concealed by the grounds bed, It's just visible because the bulk of the grounds are suspended in the Swissgold filter. It could take 10s of minutes to drip though the paper.

You're losing 3x the dose weight in absorbed/rapped liquid, this is pretty normal for a long steep/truncated cone brewer.

If the coffee is clean, not at all silty, I'd maybe go finer until it does become silty, then back off a little coarser to last good setting.

Nice move with the towel :-)

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, MWJB said:

This small amount of liquid would normally be concealed

Yeah, I don’t see it the SwissGold is lifted. I guess, once the liquid is dry off the SG, I will lift the clever off the cup. 

2 hours ago, MWJB said:

If the coffee is clean, not at all silty, I'd maybe go finer until it does become silty,

Sure. I will give it a go @ 4 micro-clicks a time. Thx Mark! 

“Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise”  - Sigmund Freud