IGNORED

Clever Dripper Recipes

I mainly make espresso based drink however since working from home I’ve started using the CCD more.

I tend to use a couple of variations of the same recipe based around the Squaremile one.

20g ground fairly coarse on the old style Feldgrind 2:7

300ml of water straight from a boiling kettle onto the grinds.

Stir for 15 secs

Leave for 5 mins

Aim for an approx 2 min drawdown.

The other variation I do is to stir less and leave for a long immersion brew of 30-40 mins.

I’m wanting to improve on this. Any tips?

http:// https://www.squaremileblog.com/brew-guide-clever-dripper/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd buy from here: https://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/products/item110303.aspx

Make the biggest brew you can (30g coffee 65-70g/L), maybe about 1+8 to 1+10 on V1 Feld? Water in first, or 2/3 in then coffee, muddle at top but don't sink it all. If it's the V2 Clever, a

You can't really aim for a drawdown time, best to aim for the grind & steep time that gives the sweetest extraction, then drawdown will be what it is.

Posted Images

Make the biggest brew you can (30g coffee 65-70g/L), maybe about 1+8 to 1+10 on V1 Feld?

Water in first, or 2/3 in then coffee, muddle at top but don't sink it all.

If it's the V2 Clever, a gold filter like Swiss gold inside the filter paper helps it drain better & a cleaner cup.

Avoid low solubility coffees (Brazil, Guat, Costa Rica).

• Like 1

You can't really aim for a drawdown time, best to aim for the grind & steep time that gives the sweetest extraction, then drawdown will be what it is.

Edited by MWJB
  • Like 1
Make the biggest brew you can (30g coffee 65-70g/L), maybe about 1+8 to 1+10 on V1 Feld?
If it's the V2 Clever, a gold filter like Swiss gold inside the filter paper helps it drain better & a cleaner cup.

Thanks for the advice on the Swiss Gold.

I do have the bigger CCD which holds approx 320ml.
Sorry for being thick, I didn’t understand what you meant by (30g coffee 65-70g/L

65g/L works out to be 20.8g for 320ml. Is that what I should be working towards.

On my Feldgrind 1+8 is slightly coarser than aeropress, V60 is around the 2+6 (which is what I’ve been aiming at)
Is 1+8-1+10 correct for CCD?

1 hour ago, urbanbumpkin said:

Thanks for the advice on the Swiss Gold.

I do have the bigger CCD which holds approx 320ml.
Sorry for being thick, I didn’t understand what you meant by (30g coffee 65-70g/L

65g/L works out to be 20.8g for 320ml. Is that what I should be working towards.

On my Feldgrind 1+8 is slightly coarser than aeropress, V60 is around the 2+6 (which is what I’ve been aiming at)
Is 1+8-1+10 correct for CCD?

The big  CCD should hold more like 450g, so 30g coffee = 67g/L. More mass means better heat retention.

CCD & Aeropress work the same way, so grind should be similar, you can certainly use coarse espresso. Hence why getting the/most of the water in first helps, saves on fines getting flushed through the paper when filling the brewer.

2+7 is medium drip range, too coarse for a declining temp steep (unless insulated like a double wall steel press). Grind as fine as you can before bittering silt becomes an issue. According to my records I was at 1+10 with my Feld v1.

With the Swissgold, be sure to preheat everything.

Towards the end of steep you can lift off the lid & taste off the top, avoiding silt/oils, every now & then (replacing lid between tastes) & draw down into a preheated cup/server when you feel the flavour peaks.

• Like 1
The big  CCD should hold more like 450g, so 30g coffee = 67g/L. More mass means better heat retention.
CCD & Aeropress work the same way, so grind should be similar, you can certainly use coarse espresso. Hence why getting the/most of the water in first helps, saves on fines getting flushed through the paper when filling the brewer.
2+7 is medium drip range, too coarse for a declining temp steep (unless insulated like a double wall steel press). Grind as fine as you can before bittering silt becomes an issue. According to my records I was at 1+10 with my Feld v1.
With the Swissgold, be sure to preheat everything.
Towards the end of steep you can lift off the lid & taste off the top, avoiding silt/oils, every now & then (replacing lid between tastes) & draw down into a preheated cup/server when you feel the flavour peaks.

Cheers MWJB
Fantastic advice.

I have noticed fines coming through on the last few brews.

So water in first then slightly push the grinds under. No big stir?
Long Emerson brew.

1 hour ago, urbanbumpkin said:

So water in first then slightly push the grinds under. No big stir?
Long Emerson brew.

Yes, just dab them enough to see that they're all moist & break up clumps (should only take a few seconds), they'll pretty much all sink by the end of steep. If there is anything floating after 35 min just gently make a hole if tasting off the top.

Too much stirring & agitation can make brews more bitter, without any increase in extraction.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 07/11/2020 at 17:39, MWJB said:

Is this the swissgold filter tat fits the ccd?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwissGold-reusable-shape-coffee-filter/dp/B005G20R7I

3 minutes ago, urbanbumpkin said:

I'm not sure, it looks like fake? Swissgold switched to a more silvery coloured filter in recent years, or so I thought. 44% ratings at 1 star? Maybe avoid this version?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SuffolkDoug said:

This is all really interesting. 

@MWJB If one has an AP already, do you think there is a benefit to getting a Clever Dripper too? 

I have a couple of each, if that's an answer :-)

Clever is less steps for bigger brews (400ml), I prefer the clean up with Clever.

If just making 1 mug brews & you're happy with the workflow with AP, maybe little to be gained.

53 minutes ago, MWJB said:

I have a couple of each, if that's an answer 🙂

Clever is less steps for bigger brews (400ml), I prefer the clean up with Clever.

If just making 1 mug brews & you're happy with the workflow with AP, maybe little to be gained.

Thanks. Helpful as always. 

The clever looks good if you need to make two cups, although if it is 400ml max then that might be a little on the small side. Hmm. Will have a think. Been thinking about getting something to more easily cater for me and my dad I've the world gets back to normal.

7 minutes ago, SuffolkDoug said:

Thanks. Helpful as always. 

The clever looks good if you need to make two cups, although if it is 400ml max then that might be a little on the small side. Hmm. Will have a think. Been thinking about getting something to more easily cater for me and my dad I've the world gets back to normal.

You can get a bit over 400ml, especially if you use #6 papers & just let them poke out of the lid.

• 5 weeks later...

If you like milk in it, put milk in it (there is no correct way). If you're putting milk in it just to fix it because it's unpleasant without, maybe show us what you're doing & we might be able to help.

52 minutes ago, MWJB said:

If you like milk in it, put milk in it (there is no correct way). If you're putting milk in it just to fix it because it's unpleasant without, maybe show us what you're doing & we might be able to help.

Not necessarily to fix the taste but just wondered in general as most places seem to always serve it black. Tasting notes are always based on black I presume so wondered if adding milk was frowned upon

6 minutes ago, Gary5709 said:

Not necessarily to fix the taste but just wondered in general as most places seem to always serve it black. Tasting notes are always based on black I presume so wondered if adding milk was frowned upon

Have you never tasted black coffee that you thought was tasty enough without milk? Just curious, for instance my girlfriend takes milk in instant & nespresso/cappuccino/coffee out, but she'll take filter coffee black when I make it for her.

Live & let live, as far as I'm concerned. I don't take milk, but if I did, I wouldn't care what others frowned on. Coffee beverage is not found in nature, we have to make it, so we can decide what goes in & what doesn't :-)

1 hour ago, Gary5709 said:

Just out of interest does anyone add milk to their Clever Dripper brews, or pour overs in general? Or is that a travesty to end all travesties?!

I like a dash of cream in it. 
I have certainly reduced the amount to a tiny splash as I have improved my technique and ended up with better tasting brews