Hi guys 

I've noticed that a few of the top shelf (price wise) have got rpm controls on them with around 1200 range of rpm. 

Now I have only seen one person say anything about them (the Ceado's hero)which of course was mark from wll a d as it was being shown by a sales man I took it with a pinch of salt it also didn't get the warmest reception here at time of release if I remember correctly. 

Now you can buy with out the rpm box £900 cheaper under the name naked I think. 

So is there any user that has an rpm machine that Could shed a little light on its usefulness on their grinder and how they use it? 

Thanks 

TT

Not so long ago (at least on here) an older and lower RPM variant of the same grinder was considered superior on the basis that lower speed presented lower risk in the way of heat damaging the beans.

Now that to me sounds like....

Goes to show how powerful marketing can be

Interested to hear any 'knowledge' arising from your final question.

25 minutes ago, Syenitic said:

Not so long ago (at least on here) an older and lower RPM variant of the same grinder was considered superior on the basis that lower speed presented lower risk in the way of heat damaging the beans.

Royal vs Major ???? or am i barking up the wrong tree ?

Fides Nemo

4 hours ago, Tiny tamper said:

Hi guys 

I've noticed that a few of the top shelf (price wise) have got rpm controls on them with around 1200 range of rpm. 

Now I have only seen one person say anything about them (the Ceado's hero)which of course was mark from wll a d as it was being shown by a sales man I took it with a pinch of salt it also didn't get the warmest reception here at time of release if I remember correctly. 

Now you can buy with out the rpm box £900 cheaper under the name naked I think. 

So is there any user that has an rpm machine that Could shed a little light on its usefulness on their grinder and how they use it? 

Thanks 

TT

I am happy for 600 rpm on my Lynweber EG-1

There are various theories around grinder speed, I have found that there seems to be an optimal point of rotational speed on flat burr grinders and that seems between 600 and a thousand rpm. I am not convinced of the slower speeds and got the best results out of the kafatek flat I had at its highest setting of 600 rpm.

my mythos 2 is variable between 700 and 1200 and again the best results I have had is around the 800 rpm which is the stock speed on the standard mythos 2

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Royal vs Major ???? or am i barking up the wrong tree ?

Are those two not completely different beasts? 

Overall I defer to the renowned experience that @coffeechap has.

I was actually thinking about the Eureka Olympus which I think went from 900 to 1400 in its evolution.

Well, the results are a mix of so many factors... burr size, style and cut, the speed and torque applied to them, and the grind path.

In theory you could design a grinder that did 1rpm, but the burrs would have to be the size of a roundabout to give any acceptable grind rate.

5 hours ago, Syenitic said:

Are those two not completely different beasts?

Yes, my bad...i read into the post wrongly...i assumed it was "model range"; not the exact same model....but yeah 4" & 10kg difference i believe.

As for big burrs and variable RPM's....then if/when "upgradeitous" strikes i'll probably be considering the LeverCraft Ultra Grinder as it's got mahoooooosive 98mm SSP flat (without screw holes) burrs AND is variale 100-1500 RPM ....certainly got my attention at the moment (other grinders are available)

• Like 1

Fides Nemo

Sooooo not so much then, I wonder how much an eg-1 would be with out it likw Ceado have done with the hero-naked, @Rumpelstiltskin I seen that grinder on YouTube by the guy who, loves decents he has 3 I think in this apartment in China I think, he was saying it went to same rpm in both directions? Wierd function,

I also thought the little clicky thing to get the last of grounds seemed low end compared to the rest of pretty heavy built grinder.

Thanks to everyone who responded 

Just now, Tiny tamper said:

Sooooo not so much then, I wonder how much an eg-1 would be with out it likw Ceado have done with the hero-naked, @Rumpelstiltskin I seen that grinder on YouTube by the guy who, loves decents he has 3 I think in this apartment in China I think, he was saying it went to same rpm in both directions? Wierd function,

I also thought the little clicky thing to get the last of grounds seemed low end compared to the rest of pretty heavy built grinder.

Thanks to everyone who responded 

Like anything there is an icing on the cake to this stuff, you should be able to make great espresso with a good grinder and a fixed RPM but for those that really want to go to to the absolute end of perfection then yes RPM may influence the cup for some * 

In the commercial environment you just wont see the variable RPM much, as cafes used to be High volume , deliver consistency , same as you never saw many Cafes doing much with pressure profiling you dont with needing to change the RPM. In the future who knows, as perhaps some cafes will become higher priced and more niche, people will pay for the ultimate best cup like this and using RPM ,Decents and loads of coffee on a menu.

Sub Zero in Melbourne is an example of this 

* i say may as again people will fall into different catergories of diminishing returns , for some the cost and improvement doesn’t equate for others its an absolute must.