IGNORED

Older model 37S troubleshooting

thephinn

Hi all,

Thought I'd pick your brain before committing more money into this.

I have a 2012 37S with about 250k shots in the counter, afaik all original or at least I have not changed the burrs in my 3 years of ownership.

The problem is that the grinder sticks, i.e. motor running but burrs not spinning/coffee coming out. This started off as a very occasional thing on only very light beans, but ever since my last move a month ago the grinder has been pretty much unusable. I can't count out mishandling during the move as I didn't do it myself. If you get the burrs spinning and feed the coffee in single dose style it grinds fine however, so it's just the initial torque to get things going that's currently insufficient.

So far I've of course cleaned the burr chamber completely inc. under the carrier, realigned the burrs, visually inspected the electronics for any obvious faults, switched back to stock SCC. No luck.

I'm trying to decide between:

- replacing burrs

- desoldering and measuring the caps for faults

- using as an excuse to upgrade

Any insights appreciated, not sure how many more mediocre espressos I can take before going off the rails!

Cheers!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't understand how the motor could be spinning without the lower burr also spinning because as far as I can tell the burr is attached directly to the motor shaft. If you're getting a mains hum from the motor but nothing is spinning it could be the start/run capacitor is dying. It's the big cylindrical capacitor mounted separately from the circuit board specifically to allow for ease of replacement - you just detach and unplug it; no soldering required. With a little re-arrangement of the wiring you can run it as a simple on-off/single-dose mode grinder without the circuit board connected at all.

The above is based on having spent some time looking inside my even older E37 (smaller burrs, no SCC, but basically the same architecture).

Edited by Stox
  • Like 1

You're absolutely right that the lower burr isn't actually spinning but just trying to based on the humming sound and little jerk it makes before binding. So bad choice of words from me there. I'll check the big cap later today, should be quick to confirm if it's getting out of spec.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

• Like 1