IGNORED

Looking for a Gaggia classic

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but I am very keen for advice on buying an older Gaggia Classic for my first adventures into this wonderful world of home espresso making.

Does anyone have a good older model for sale or any suggestions?  It seems I should get an older model and even one made back in 2003 or so.  

Many thanks

Martin 

Hi Martin,

I'm a keen retired engineering hobbyist that refurbishes Classics, not as a business but to keep the old machines going in good condition.

I am selling four on the forum sometime in the next two weeks, and will advertise them all together.

There is a 1997, 1998, 20014 and a redesigned 2015, redesigned to a pre 2015 Classic.

I refurbish to a good standard using the best materials I can obtain.

Otherwise there are many available on ebay but be careful. Lots that are advertised as in good condition sometimes are far from it!

You can search my posts and see some of the previous machines I have refurbished.

cheers

ratty

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Nightrider_1uk said:

@rattyhas refurbished so many classics i'm surprised that there are any left. He must be the classic king. 

Hardly!

Done around the 20 mark with these four coming up.

The 'business' refurbishers that do it as a job for profit, have done tons more! 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ratty said:

Hi Martin,

I'm a keen retired engineering hobbyist that refurbishes Classics, not as a business but to keep the old machines going in good condition.

I am selling four on the forum sometime in the next two weeks, and will advertise them all together.

There is a 1997, 1998, 20014 and a redesigned 2015, redesigned to a pre 2015 Classic.

I refurbish to a good standard using the best materials I can obtain.

Otherwise there are many available on ebay but be careful. Lots that are advertised as in good condition sometimes are far from it!

You can search my posts and see some of the previous machines I have refurbished.

cheers

ratty

Excellent timing. I’m also new to the forum and on the look out for some decent newbie kit. 

Might be jumping the gun, but will these have any of the aftermarket mods such as PIDs. 

Many thanks! 

2 minutes ago, howza123 said:

Excellent timing. I’m also new to the forum and on the look out for some decent newbie kit. 

Might be jumping the gun, but will these have any of the aftermarket mods such as PIDs. 

Many thanks! 

No PID supplied. MrShades on the forum is the man to buy one from. Great instructions and easily doable in a day.

Mine all come with front panel pressure gauges, all new bolts and seals throughout, treated with anti seize and lubricating paste for longevity against corrosion.

Machines will have had a total stripdown and descale. OPV set to 9 bar that can be viewed on the pressure gauge while pulling a shot. This gives you a fair idea of espresso grain size. If the grains are too big the pressure will show lower on the gauge. The stainless steel brushed finish machines have a rancilio sylvia steam wand fitted for better steaming. I have left the original gold plated steam wands on the two gold finished machines but will include as an extra, a rancilio wand and a spare nut (with the older gold models, the nut cannot be removed on the original wand without cutting the wand in half so you would be putting a chrome wand on a gold coloured machine.) Slim drip trays supplied for weighing coffee in cup with scales underneath. Also original drip trays too. New tubing was fitted if required.

New shower screens and shower plates fitted. Portafilters handles removed and new bolt attached that can be a bad corrosion point if not treated.

Other things I cannot think of at the moment!

I've finished 3 and am working on the last one.

Will put them all on the site when completely finished

4 minutes ago, ratty said:

No PID supplied. MrShades on the forum is the man to buy one from. Great instructions and easily doable in a day.

Mine all come with front panel pressure gauges, all new bolts and seals throughout, treated with anti seize and lubricating paste for longevity against corrosion.

Machines will have had a total stripdown and descale. OPV set to 9 bar that can be viewed on the pressure gauge while pulling a shot. This gives you a fair idea of espresso grain size. If the grains are too big the pressure will show lower on the gauge. The stainless steel brushed finish machines have a rancilio sylvia steam wand fitted for better steaming. I have left the original gold plated steam wands on the two gold finished machines but will include as an extra, a rancilio wand and a spare nut (with the older gold models, the nut cannot be removed on the original wand without cutting the wand in half so you would be putting a chrome wand on a gold coloured machine.) Slim drip trays supplied for weighing coffee in cup with scales underneath. Also original drip trays too. New tubing was fitted if required.

New shower screens and shower plates fitted. Portafilters handles removed and new bolt attached that can be a bad corrosion point if not treated.

Other things I cannot think of at the moment!

I've finished 3 and am working on the last one.

Will put them all on the site when completely finished

Thanks for the detailed response. I envy your craftsmanship! Just starting out on my coffee journey. Look forward to the ads. 

Sent you a PM. I have a Classic for sale with brand new seals fitted, opv mod, silvia steam wand and in very good condition. 

Martin 

Edited by MartinB
On 02/11/2020 at 20:57, MartinB said:

Sent you a PM. I have a Classic for sale with brand new seals fitted, opv mod, silvia steam wand and in very good condition. 

Martin 

Hi, I don't want to hijack but if you are still selling this and MartinG isn't interested then please PM me too :)

Hi Martin

l have a 2002 Classic presently on eBay. I’m also on a number of coffee forums including this one.

Im a coffee hobbyist and totally strip and refurbish ‘poorly’  neglected classics and my OCD ensures they are rebuilt to the highest order.

I have many happy ‘customers’ who keep in touch.

I also have a few other Classics, mainly 2002-2004 when the best examples of this iconic machine were made.

They all come modded down to 9 bar, Silicone head gasket fitted and new RANCILIO mk2 wands fitted as standard.

Have a look on eBay tuli1960gillB3E68F9C-F496-42B8-BD44-C510527ECF59.thumb.jpeg.0530ce4c2a7976b23d26acea63c828a6.jpego

64A5ECB3-A076-4528-AEE4-3F1EC2F109E2.jpeg

92443747-6852-45BA-ADA2-02C8B1E3A6F5.jpeg

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

Donate / Sponsor

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo