IGNORED

Gaggia Classic 2015 cleaning the Brew Head Valve

Hi,

I am trying to clean my Gaggia Classic 2015 and I cannot remove the brew head valve. Its completely jammed. I have tried to use a coin to turn it but it just bends the coin.

I have seen a video where someone has a tool that seems to turn it quite easily. Does anyone know what this tool is called (not the screwdriver!, the tool used for removing the 2nd part):

Does anyone else have trouble unscrewing this?

Dara

gaggia.jpg

If you buy a 3 pack I’ll take a spare one as my fee 😉

screwfix or local tool shop May have them on the shelf if you don’t want to wait for eBay delivery

Edited by HDAV
  • Like 1

It's just a big flat head screwdriver you need.

It suffers from a bit of stiction and needs a rigid stiff driver to break it. It's not hard tbh.

If you are buying spares, stay away from eBay and just get genuine Gaggia parts. A new spring and mushroom valve are worthwhile.

Great machines IMHO.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, El carajillo said:

:exit:The item used in the video (special tool ) looks like a '' FLATBIT'' for drilling wood , with hex shank it could be used with a spannner.:confused:

Correction (only saw the end of vid/ tool). Actually looks more like a modified plug spanner for garden machinery (chainsaw/ mower etc) with the end ground to suit ?

• Like 1

So the 12mm screwdriver is not quite wide enough, it slips as you try to turn it. I found a bracket that fits across, bit still no luck getting this (insert expletive) thing out. 

Seems the edges are bending slightly.. i have tried soaking in wd40 and still no joy.... running out of ideas now.

20201102_145107.jpg

Edited by Doof
On 02/11/2020 at 14:51, Doof said:

So the 12mm screwdriver is not quite wide enough, it slips as you try to turn it. I found a bracket that fits across, bit still no luck getting this (insert expletive) thing out. 

Seems the edges are bending slightly.. i have tried soaking in wd40 and still no joy.... running out of ideas now.

20201102_145107.jpg

Just use the correct size screwdriver. Go to your local army navy store and pick up a large stub handled  driver.

2 hours ago, Blue_Cafe said:

Just use the correct size screwdriver. Go to your local army navy store and pick up a large stub handled  driver.

I cannot seem to find anything wider than 12mm - Ive managed to get a 15mm wood drill bit in there which gives really good leverage, but the head is getting damaged while trying to turn.

Frustrated as ive cleaned and refurbed the whole machine, it was just leaking slightly from the group head valve, so have ended up here.....

as an off the shelf tool you probably wont, a bit of flat bar the right size width and thickness is what you need, any local metal suppliers or other hardware type place may help? Need to measure the slot though........ 3mm thick enough to fill the slot? https://www.metals4u.co.uk/materials/stainless-steel/stainless-steel-flat/60110-p?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J1dMKMT3IBMeq9E5v7oAQxqmMvdfhIwrqYH6GfGRt_OsbWhEuDAi-EaAvFWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by HDAV