IGNORED

LSOL November - Vagabond Coffee [London]

1 hour ago, urbanbumpkin said:

I’ve had a few tries of these as espresso and I’m still dialling these in.
I’m getting a Smokey edge to my attempts so far.

General ballpark is 18g=>38g in 42 secs. I’ve upped the temp to 94c, but am still getting a slight smokiness in taste.

I was going to increase the temp and go slightly coarser.

Any pointers from anyone?

@vaga paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I found coarser and higher temp brings out the caramel in milk drinks, but have had a bit of a smokey edge on straight espresso. Think the milk hides it if I'm honest! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone! I'm Paul, the roaster and a few other things, at Vagabond Coffee Roasters. I thought I'd give you some space to talk about the coffee and this seems like a good spot to jump in.  Clearly,

Last month of the quarter "what you got for us" I hear you cry. Well we have a double special treat, not only do we have the uber great roasters that are Vagabond coffee but we also have the opti

Hi everyone, I just left a meet up with the producer, and he asked to post through my account. So the following is from the man, himself:   Thanks for sticking with us up to this point! We w

Posted Images

Coarser and upped the temp

Tried 18g => 42g 29secs 96c low pressure.
Less Smokey but I’m still getting a slight tobacco edge to it. Aside from that it was nice.

I’m drinking these as a straight spro or long blacks.

5 minutes ago, urbanbumpkin said:

Less Smokey but I’m still getting a slight tobacco edge to it. Aside from that it was nice.

I tried almost identical today. 18g -> 44g in 34 secs. 6bar and 95C.  Espresso.  There is still a touch too much acidity, more noticeable as it cools. Very good though. Nearly there.

I must admit, I don't yet have a clear picture of tasting notes. Hopefully, I'll nail it tomorrow and everything will be revealed.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, urbanbumpkin said:

Higher temperature you say... let me see...

edit: Need to remember to swap back to my normal account when posting...

21 minutes ago, Coffee by the Casuals said:

Higher temperature you say... let me see...

Ok, so 96 degs and the highest temp I've ever brewed espresso. It definite brings something else to the fore. There is an orangey note there, though it is a little muted. I'm still using my low-flow (2.5ml) profile, so I think I'm going to tighten the grind a little more.

Ok so todays attempt I've kept the grind setting as before, but thought I'd stop the shot earlier

18g=>36g 24secs at 96C

Tobacco taste is much less than previously (but still there in the background). The other tastes are quite nice but it's being spoilt IMO by the smokey edge.

I agree with @filthynines I've never brewed espresso at such a high temp, and I think the temp is muting the good tasting notes.

@vaga paul @vagabond

@Hairy_Hogg Any pointers for for non milk based espresso?

Following on from the previous post
Tried going shorter still.

Same grind setting as previous post but dropped the temp from 96 to 94c
18g=>34g 29 secs

Best shot so far, intense choc and fruit

Hi, so sorry for the silence. Fun weekend with BT working out why my wifi was crawling.

@urbanbumpkin I'd tend to keep my run times below 40ish seconds and aim for a dial in of around 30secs to keep the freshness in the shot profile, so you beat me to it with the steps you took. I like espresso with a dropped dose too (17g/38-40g) for something a bit less intense with lots of layers. In the cafe we have smaller baskets so there I tend to actually go 16g in 36-38g out, and really push for max extraction in around 30-34s. It definitely doesn't work on all equipment, and if you don't get everything from the bean it can struggle for strength and be a problem for milky drinks.

This coffee tends to hold good general extraction values at relatively low shot times (25ish), for anyone that likes a real acidic bite (my Production Manager) but the balance is off, for me. Can't talk for everyone's equip. but 28-35secs is the sweet spot, imo.

Edited by vaga paul
*changed 30 to 30secs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Lionheart said:

welcome after I donated my Mystery Coffee Mk13 last week as I just couldn't get that to taste palatable.

Nice one Vagabond :) 

I must admit I'm struggling with Mk13 as well.  But given I had only a handful of grams of the Vagabond, I tried something foolish.  

Children, don't try this at home!!!

I mixed the last few of my first 250g of the Vagabond with a few of Mk13 to try to kickstart the brain this morning and also just to see what would happen. I think it was about 50/50 in weight. I produced something that I'm not sure I experienced before, simultaneously sour and bitter. Nothing to do the coffee beans of course, but probably explains why I never hacked it in experimental science classes. 

@vaga paul Do you always run at standard pressure, or can you see a low pressure shot adding any value for this bean?

bad_coffee.jpg

Edited by earthflattener
  • Like 3
On 22/11/2020 at 07:33, Coffee by the Casuals said:

Technically "you" are a Sockie (Sock-puppet) - a banable offence in some places!

At least you don't troll yourself!

• Like 2
Hi, so sorry for the silence. Fun weekend with BT working out why my wifi was crawling.
@urbanbumpkin I'd tend to keep my run times below 40ish seconds and aim for a dial in of around 30secs to keep the freshness in the shot profile, so you beat me to it with the steps you took. I like espresso with a dropped dose too (17g/38-40g) for something a bit less intense with lots of layers. In the cafe we have smaller baskets so there I tend to actually go 16g in 36-38g out, and really push for max extraction in around 30-34s. It definitely doesn't work on all equipment, and if you don't get everything from the bean it can struggle for strength and be a problem for milky drinks.
This coffee tends to hold good general extraction values at relatively low shot times (25ish), for anyone that likes a real acidic bite (my Production Manager) but the balance is off, for me. Can't talk for everyone's equip. but 28-35secs is the sweet spot, imo.

Cheers Paul

Thanks fo the heads up, I’ll definitely try dropping the dose to 17g and have a play.
I do have a 15g VST but it’s a fickle beast.
Just out of interest what 16g baskets do you use in the cafe?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, vaga paul said:

Really interesting thanks, I've been drinking 18g in - 36g out and grinding to an extraction lasting around 24-26 seconds where it's been tastiest to me, I tried coarsening to around 30 seconds and above, pulled 18-38 but I started losing the acid notes. Really enjoyed this many thanks :) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tsouthwell said:

I've had some great espressos from this but haven't really been enjoying it in my v60 - has anyone had any luck with brewing it?

I'm also going with a Brazilian.

I'm really enjoying it in @V60.

Pretty much a @christos_geo
recipe from a while back.

2 on my Feld.

13.5g/225g

Pour 25g to bloom, leave for 45 seconds

45: take up to 100g over 15 seconds with slow outward spirals

60: allow to drain for 15 seconds

75: take up to 225g over 15 seconds with outward spiral til you get to around 150/160g then pour the rest straight down the middle, little swirl to finish (this whole pour needs to be a lot quicker than the first obviously).

Flat bed at around 2.30/2.40

Enjoy 👍😊

• Like 1

Thanks for the questions, btw!

On 19/11/2020 at 16:38, filthynines said:

Hi @vaga paul - my question is "where in Peru are these beans from?" ;) 

Haha!!

On 19/11/2020 at 17:03, steffanjtaylor said:

Hi @vaga paul, will there be more of this coffee for sale on vagabondcoffeeroasters.com after the LOSL reveal is made?

Yep, should be!

On 19/11/2020 at 22:51, Agentb said:

Welcome @vaga paul  I know the harvest can take several months as the crop ripens over a few months usually, but when does the producer decide what processing needs to be done, or is it always the same "recipe"? 

Do buyers place orders for different processes like natural or washed, and then process accordingly?

I'll admit I'm well past half way  😹

Great questions, I'll double team these with the producer 👍

• Like 2

@earthflattener Today you're perfecting your own blends, tomorrow the World Barista Champs beckon 😀 Can definitely see lower pressure + coarser grind working here. I lean toward less general intensity in my espresso, but push heavy extraction of the bean to get that complexity and length up. More water to coffee ratio/ lower pressure, are things I like a lot if you can keep that brew strength up by stripping material and avoid thin/sour cups.

@urbanbumpkin We've always gone with VST baskets in our café. I'm a big fan

• Like 3

Fantastic beans, I've enjoyed brewing with the aeropress and a couple of weekend v60s. Lots of layers of flavour as the cup cools, def getting toffee and cacao initially, cooling into rich orange with maybe a hint of sweet mango and caramel. 

First guess was Colombian, there no funk but I'm thinking there's a bit of special processing action, maybe carbonic maceration?

Thanks @vaga paul @Hairy_Hogg and @Daren for sourcing and roasting 👍

I've been using my other beans lately so will go back to these now. 96 deg? Will try that and a lower input? See what I can squeeze out in the morning.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I've been using my other beans lately so will go back to these now. 96 deg? Will try that and a lower input? See what I can squeeze out in the morning.

I’m getting results on 94c now