IGNORED

LSOL November - Vagabond Coffee [London]

Opened these yesterday and had a good sniff, marzipan? Made an espresso and was smooth. Was waiting for some nasty aftertaste which I usually get when trying a new bean for the first time but no. Reminded me more of a dark roast tbh.

Will be having a good go with these in the morning. Sounds like they will make a good flat white so looking forward to tucking in

• Like 3

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone! I'm Paul, the roaster and a few other things, at Vagabond Coffee Roasters. I thought I'd give you some space to talk about the coffee and this seems like a good spot to jump in.  Clearly,

Last month of the quarter "what you got for us" I hear you cry. Well we have a double special treat, not only do we have the uber great roasters that are Vagabond coffee but we also have the opti

Hi everyone, I just left a meet up with the producer, and he asked to post through my account. So the following is from the man, himself:   Thanks for sticking with us up to this point! We w

Posted Images

Found this one a bit hard to get somewhere I like. Like others getting chocolate but getting a bit of orange too. Definitely grind finer on this one.

Brazil/Colombian - actually would be shocked if it wasn’t from South America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ive just opened these and made my first espresso. 15.5- 33 in 30secs. Not a bad first drink. Taste of Cocoa powder, caramel and cinnamon- all the flavours i enjoy in coffee. I think i will grind slightly finer next shot, and possibly slightly hotter.
Thanks for arranging these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Tried two espresso.  First one ran too fast dumped into a latte   As @Black Cat Coffee says needs a finer grind.  Second one better but still needed to be finer and brewed hotter.  I got chocolate red apple acidity with a hint of orange as it cooled   Will try hotter next time and a touch finer 

• Like 1

Just cupped it along side the last month's lsol. 

It starts with a big body, red apple and almond notes. Despite that it feels very clear. Nice lingering brown sugar finish. 

I'll guess washed Colombian. 

Thanks to everyone involved organising it 

• Like 1

I’m really looking forward to the story on these, it feels like quite a developed roast in the context of our LSOL offerings....but not in a bad way at all, making scrumptious CCD for me really moreish...will also go Brazil washed.

• Like 1

Very interesting, this one. It is a moreish espresso. A lot more body and mouthfeel than a lot of previous LSOLs. I agree with @mcrmfc that it tastes more developed on the palate and less acidic.

I've slowed this shot right down. I'm using a 2.5ml per second flow profile, and it just about nudges 4 bar and then declines. I get a roughly 29 sec shot that way. Tasty. I'm going washed Peruvian.

Edited by filthynines
  • Like 1

I've been loving this as filter. I keep having it too early in the morning to pick up individual tasting notes, but I'll make another this afternoon and think harder! 

Had a couple of relatively uninspiring espressos, coming out a little... I don't know... Bland. Slower shots towards the 40 second mark helped but didn't nail it.

Just tried 16:36 in 34 seconds at 96 degrees and the higher temp seemed to balance it out a lot. Had it in a lunchtime flat white rather than straight espresso and got some cracking sweetness from it. I'd say the caramel really came through this way. Not a lot of acidity probably because of the higher temp, suppose the milk could be flattening it out a bit too. 

Need to try a bit more on the straight espressos and see what I can get out of it! 

Washed south American is my best guess at the moment. Does taste a bit like a Peruvian I had from Crankhouse a while back, but I'll mix things up and say Bolivia, since we've already had guesses of Brazil and Peru! 

IMG_20201119_123119.jpg

• Like 1

Elegance in the cup. A very posh tasting espresso if ever I've had one. Smooth and refined you could be forgiven for assuming these beans may be expensive to non LSOL folk

I haven't got any original tasting notes to offer because I'm agreeing with what others have already suggested. I wish I hadn't read all of the other posts as I am probably slightly influenced.

The apple which has been mentioned I may have interpreted as grape or kiwi. However it could well be apple. 

Notes of chocolate are clear. Milky variety, perhaps praline due to a hazelnut finish

Origin- Columbia (bookies favourite)

Process- washed (massively odds on)

My recipe is 17g in, 38 out over 40 seconds

Machine is an L1 .Grinder is Niche (setting 11)

When choosing beans for myself I typically opt for naturals. These are making me think about widening my options in future

Verdict: delicious, big thanks to the selection committee.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think I will keep the reveal back a bit to give people a bit longer and to curate some questions, this will mean that we may have this thread live whilst the December thread starts. 

Hi everyone! I'm Paul, the roaster and a few other things, at Vagabond Coffee Roasters. I thought I'd give you some space to talk about the coffee and this seems like a good spot to jump in.  Clearly, everyone knows what they're doing, but let me know any non spoiler-y questions you might have about the coffee or us, and I'll get to them asap! Want to say how much I appreciate being involved, I love talking coffee... Just ask my family. Or don't, if you care about their sanity.

• Like 12

p.s also let me know any questions you already have for the producer and I'll collect them. But, we can do a couple of rounds of that (depending on your time, I know you have another coffee on the horizon), with more after they've said hi and given you some info.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, vaga paul said:

let me know any questions you already have for the producer 

Welcome @vaga paul  I know the harvest can take several months as the crop ripens over a few months usually, but when does the producer decide what processing needs to be done, or is it always the same "recipe"? 

Do buyers place orders for different processes like natural or washed, and then process accordingly?

I'll admit I'm well past half way  😹

• Like 2

I’ve had a few tries of these as espresso and I’m still dialling these in.
I’m getting a Smokey edge to my attempts so far.

General ballpark is 18g=>38g in 42 secs. I’ve upped the temp to 94c, but am still getting a slight smokiness in taste.

I was going to increase the temp and go slightly coarser.

Any pointers from anyone?

@vaga paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro