Hi

Any thoughts on the Eureka Mignon Crono for espresso coffee? The website says that it goes from Turkish to French Press. I am really only interested in espresso. It comes in at around the same as the Sage Grinder Pro ~ £200. Would the Crono be a better buy for grinding for espresso?

Up to now I have been using a cheap Delonghi grinder for my Gaggia Classic (2015) with pressurised portafilter but I want to start using a non pressurised basket now.

https://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo/prodotti/macinacaffè+on+demand/1/26.aspx

Thanks

Dara

@Dara Mullally - If you are going for espresso mainly and using a hopper of beans, I would get a Manuale £245 if you are OK for a noisier one and weighing the grounds out or a Silenzio £320 if you want a quieter grinder with a timer function and on demand.

The Cronos have less aggressive brew focused burrs and doesn’t work on demand, basically a timer version of the Filtro they used to do from a Google search.

Definitely skip the Sage grinder, it’s not good enough for the money.

If buying new maybe a MBK Feld 47/JX-Pro hand grinder for £160-180 ish if you want to single dose and not use a hopper. Without a lot of faff/mods the cheapest electric single doser is the Niche Zero £500.

@BlackCatCoffee - Sells Eurekas and is on the forum, he also dropped some hints about new single dose home grinders coming out towards the end of the year...

• Like 2

I have the manuale and its only ever jammed once, on a terribly hard bean, bar that its great for the money. 

I use the hopper full as its not ment for single dosing while some do, i tend to stick to the same bean or type so dont mess too much. 

I grind into a small pot which i weigh as i go. But it takes about 17s to grind 17g 

• Like 2

Way too early for this sh...

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, meteliov said:

@Northern_Monkey where do you find Niche Zeros? I checked on their Indiegogo website but everything is sold out... are there any in second hand market?

Very few and when listed on here, they usually sell in a few minutes...

• Like 1

Nothing here...

@meteliov - Dave is right about the scarcity on the 2nd hand market, there was a super scalping/price gouging one on eBay for £2,000 the other month 🙄

The little Eurekas and bigger ones are nicely made, you wouldn’t go wrong using one with a hopper if you don’t want to change coffees all the time.

If you have your heart set in a Niche, maybe wait it out and get a nice hand grinder in the meantime? Like a Feld/JX-Pro/Kinu, you might like them enough not to upgrade or use it for travel once your Niche arrives.

• 1 month later...
On 25/10/2020 at 16:33, Dara Mullally said:

Hi

Any thoughts on the Eureka Mignon Crono for espresso coffee? The website says that it goes from Turkish to French Press. I am really only interested in espresso. It comes in at around the same as the Sage Grinder Pro ~ £200. Would the Crono be a better buy for grinding for espresso?

Up to now I have been using a cheap Delonghi grinder for my Gaggia Classic (2015) with pressurised portafilter but I want to start using a non pressurised basket now.

https://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo/prodotti/macinacaffè+on+demand/1/26.aspx

Thanks

Dara

Hi Dara, 

Can I check if you had further information on Eureka Mignon Crono? I bought a Gaggia Classic and just looking to buy a Crono. Having said that there are so many different comments on its ability to grind for espresso. It's so confusing and would be good to hear if you have any further info. Should I go for something else, a second hand Specialita maybe, or just buy a Crono and an espresso fork?

Thanks

Emre