IGNORED

Burr seasoning

I think a few kilos of old beans should do if they are steel probably triple it for titanium , I know some grinders take alot more like the ek, so I'm unsure as to which size burrs require how much coffee but I'm sure someone else might have a more accurate method. Good luck with seasoning 

• Thanks 1

Seasoning isn't really essential in my limited view. It's not as important as running in an engine for example. It just means that you get through that initial phase where they're a bit too aggressive without it affecting coffee you're actually trying to drink. You can equally just crack on and use the grinder normally, but just be aware it'll settle down and need less adjustment over a couple of months. Seasoning with old beans just speeds up the process.

One thing to remember is not to exceed the duty cycle when seasoning. A lot of grinders are intended to grind a dose or two and then rest. They might be rated for 30 seconds grind, 2 minutes rest. Don't fill a large hopper, set it to continuous and leave it running, they're not designed for that.

I bought some cheap dark beans when I first got my Ceado and to be honest, I wish I hadn't bothered as I felt that whilst it helped the burrs get to 'consistent' quicker, I felt I wanted to deep clean it afterwards because of the oils.

If you have a good relationship with a favourite roaster, next time you order, phone up and ask if they will send you a couple of kilos or so of stale or QC fail beans for burr seasoning, not oily dark ones. If you cover the postage they'll probably oblige. If you're buying a kilo of good beans at the same time, the extra postage might not even be that much. Probably cheaper than buying aldi beans intended for consumption.

For example, I'm fairly sure Rave did this for me, and one time they completely randomly sent me a jute coffee sack that would otherwise have got binned. I didn't ask, they just threw one in with my order! (I think they do now sell them). I used it to reupholster 2 dining chairs.

"Seasoning"?

Who on earth came up with that Apple-esque word twist?

Plenty of other phrases best describe the phenomena and would serve the community better in its understanding so that the unwashed don't think that blades need anything other than normal usage.

It just adds further voodoo and woo to an already flooded bog of religiosity that is the coffee scene.

"Running-in" would be a better descriptor to label the de-burring and initial dulling of the cutting surfaces that happens during the 1st few uses.

You object to the word and accuse people using it of 'religiosity' yet agree that deburring or running-in is valid in itself? Mkay, pointless fight. It's been the term people on here have used for as long as I can remember. I don't see how it makes much difference whether you say running in or seasoning: both describe the same process. Seasoning is a term I associate with coating a steel wok or paellera with oil and heating it prior to first use, rather than running in burrs, admittedly. Perhaps you'll lower yourself to providing us with what you consider to be the 'correct' scientific term for that, in accordance with your orthodoxy?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GazRef said:

I've seen some roasters/coffee sites sell beans for this purpose. Personally I've never found the need. Use the new burrs and enjoy imo. 

Same here tbh . 

• Like 1

Seasoning is the best term as it clearly relates to the idea of seasoning a pan before you get the best out of it which is exactly what you're doing with the burrs (not getting a coating of hardened oil on there but giving them a bit of use before getting the best out of them).  

Running-in describes a process more related to mechanics, like settling the motor and bearings rather than evening the burr cutting surfaces. Given it's a term used relating to engines there's a possibility somebody might think it's a good idea to just leave the grinder running under no load. Seasoning very clearly relates to putting coffee through the grinder. Unless you've never heard of seasoning a pan before.

Having said that I've never bothered seasoning a grinder.

Edited by Rob1
  • Like 2