IGNORED

Behind the keyboard

It’s easy to take posts and comments differently to how they were intended . You can have a mental image of a person chuckling at your coffee related misfortune behind a keyboard .

perhaps sometimes we just need to see a person to understand a little about them and their circumstances .

This is me , posting this morning , I’m not allowed to move or put the tv on . 
I often type one handed as that’s all I have , the other baby occupied , I often post short replies without some of the pleasantries others do, not because I don’t think they are important but because I simply don’t have a lot of time and try and get info across a quickly as possibly . 
often short questions can I imagine appear a little passive aggressive or perhaps condescending, not my intention ,

I do not make perfect coffee every time often milks saves a lot of sins for me too.

if you find me irritating or a know it all apologies , most of The advice I offer is not coz I consider myself an expert but is as  result of having been a conduit for lots of great advice from others that come before me, that were expert 

Anyone else feel free to drop a photo.

1826415A-766A-4240-95C5-D7DE5F10BF14.jpeg

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 21

Great post Martin! Yes, there's always a danger of posts being misinterpreted, I see it every day, where people assume elitism or condescension where perhaps only good, inclusive, humour was intended. It's an inherent risk on a forum where people are focused on excellence in coffee, but not a given fact that a quip is tinged with malice or snobbery. A little bit of giving the benefit of the doubt goes a long way. As for me, I'm always looking for a giggle, usually a terrible pun or dad joke in my case (despite not being a dad like Boots), but not at anyone's expense! Heaven knows things are hard enough for everyone right now, we all need a bit of kindness and a bit of a laugh.

• Like 4

as a newbie, not only to this forum but to coffee as a whole, I have spent a lot of time googling and searching for things that I do not even have the right terms for, and going a little potty.

I have mooched across other forums but thought this one was the least bit snobby and excluding and my experiences of being here are that everyone is very helpful, really willing to help someone who literally has no clue.

I had expected a lot more ribbing, especially as I take milk, and have found nothing but help and freindly banter.

I cannot add a photo for certain reasons, but hope that I come across as me in my various rantings and would never wish anyone to think I was being horrid or spiteful in any way as that is not me and I would never wish it for myself so why do that to others.

I suppose this divel is just to say , thank you for making me feel welcome😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Really like this post; as humans we all seem quick to assume or judge don’t we?.

Its so nice to put a face to a name that often comes up on this forum.  

Being female and often subjugated by my male dominated hobbies ie Cyling/ HiFi/Coffee/British comedy/humour sometimes a little on the sick side; I’ve had to develop a sort of thick skin.

Some men always seem ‘suprised’ when they realise I can strip and rebuild a coffee machine/ know what Linn/Naim  and DI2 stands for and quite likes Frankie Boyle/Julia Davidson etc.

Love the baby; you will certainly need copious amounts of caffeine to keep you well alert during those lovely nights of repetitious baby howls.!!

Just typing this makes me realise how things can be read.

Came off Facebook for this very reason. These are strange times; we all need to factor in some slack.! 

23F2F3FE-4C0D-4C59-9144-5DE6FE457A6E.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...hobbies ie Cyling/ HiFi/Coffee/British comedy/humour sometimes a little on the sick side; ... I can strip and rebuild a coffee machine/ know what Linn/Naim  and DI2 stands for

Ha! You're even more welcome than you were already! Refreshing to have ladies on the forum who don't eye-roll at the mere mention of such things! The Hotmetalette, whom I love dearly, only takes the Mickey when I so much as mention KT88 valves, preamps, cycling, etc. It may be that I am a MAMIL (hence no pics!!)

Any mention of motorcycles (I only need to turn to see the source of an exhaust note!) are met with a random string of letters and numbers and giggles as she makes fun of bike nomenclature and my love for all things with 2 wheels (except broken shopping trolleys). "Would that be FZXRJSTPQ six-seven-fiiive hahaha!"

Mind you she doesn't mock my coffee cos she's addicted to it. But she does take the pee that there's a forum for a hot drink! Maybe we're all nuts and shouldn't take it too seriously?!

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Some men always seem ‘suprised’ when they realise I can strip and rebuild a coffee machine/ know what Linn/Naim  and DI2 stands for and quite likes Frankie Boyle/Julia

Don't tell me you have a Linn Lp12 Klimex and every second shot you pull  is a god shot, or you will leave my fragile male ego irreparably damaged :) 

There's a reference of me here....  Deep in thought... Trying to figure out how not to mess up under pressure... 🤣

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

6 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

This is me , posting this morning , I’m not allowed to move .

What a lovely post, and a beautiful new addition. Well done you for not moving.

I’m sure everyone will join me in saying a huge well done to Mrs Boots. You’ll both be exhausted - but she clearly did a  great job. You must be super proud 😍

A9AA964D-1C5C-45CE-A755-6E3991636A97.gif

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

It’s easy to take posts and comments differently to how they were intended . You can have a mental image of a person chuckling at your coffee related misfortune behind a keyboard .

perhaps sometimes we just need to see a person to understand a little about them and their circumstances .

This is me , posting this morning , I’m not allowed to move or put the tv on . 
I often type one handed as that’s all I have , the other baby occupied , I often post short replies without some of the pleasantries others do, not because I don’t think they are important but because I simply don’t have a lot of time and try and get info across a quickly as possibly . 
often short questions can I imagine appear a little passive aggressive or perhaps condescending, not my intention ,

I do not make perfect coffee every time often milks saves a lot of sins for me too.

if you find me irritating or a know it all apologies , most of The advice I offer is not coz I consider myself an expert but is as  result of having been a conduit for lots of great advice from others that come before me, that were expert 

Anyone else feel free to drop a photo.

Just beautiful Martin, the little one is lovely too

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, haventadog said:

What a lovely post, and a beautiful new addition. Well done you for not moving.

I’m sure everyone will join me in saying a huge well done to Mrs Boots. You’ll both be exhausted - but she clearly did a  great job. You must be super proud 😍

A9AA964D-1C5C-45CE-A755-6E3991636A97.gif

She was amazing , you get to see sides to your partner that make you so proud, she is such a lovely great patient mother we are lucky to both have her .

• Like 1

If we're met with a string of random letters (more random than normal!) we will now assume it's MiniBootees2U climbing all over the keyboard! Congratulations to you both and welcome to the world to MiniBootee!

• Like 2
18 hours ago, earthflattener said:

Don't tell me you have a Linn Lp12 Klimex and every second shot you pull  is a god shot, or you will leave my fragile male ego irreparably damaged :) 

Oh dear; alright then bit old school but:

LP12 ekos/72/hicap/250/heybrook sextet. Sorry.

4 hours ago, Gilly said:

Oh dear; alright then bit old school but:

LP12 ekos/72/hicap/250/heybrook sextet. Sorry.

Very Nice! I'm not actually a hi-fi fiend. I'm involved in the live music world, so have a brutally honest hi-fi (Primare i-30 driving PMC speakers) so I can listen out for our sound engineer's bloopers in our live streams (actually, she doesn't make any - she is one of the best in the business). I don't appreciate the coloring, even when it's very beautiful, that equipment adds to the raw recording. I don't even do records any more - so much as I'd love your Linn, it wouldn't be worth it for me, I have only a couple of hundred records left - everything else is CD and digital. 

On 22/10/2020 at 15:18, hotmetal said:

Never mind put in a bun... if I had any less hair I'd look like a bun!

Note you have the Ceado E37S

got an opportunity to purchase a good used one.

presently using Mazza Mini E, but don’t like the funnel and the timer aspect seems to leave a lot to be desired.

So, are you happy with yours and have you upgraded with the add on worm?

My concern here is everyone seems to have the Niche?

I tend to just stick to my single origin MM and only occasionally milky drinks.

So what’s your opinion??

I have the Ceado E37 s and bought this as an upgrade from Mazzer Mini E, much prefer the Ceado.

Good quality grind, easier to adjust and maintain adjustment. Very easy to strip and clean. Best with hopper or tube (not single dosing).

It will depend on age / model number as to wether you can fit the worm adjuster (letter on info plate will allow you to find out)

Mine does not like M/M, it tends to spay a bit and stick to chute. ( just finished a bag from CC.  ). Many members have / do have static trouble with M/M on most varieties of machines.

Another company that does dark roasts is Baytown coffee..

Hi Gilly. I had a Mazzer Mini doser (not the E) and the E37S is a great upgrade. It's surprisingly compact for an 83mm flat burr grinder, and relatively quiet. They're well engineered and the way the burr chamber is designed means retention is low. Typically grinds 18g in 5 seconds ish. It's easy to adjust (although I preferred the knob on my Zenith 65E to the Ceado lever). Just 3 screws to pop the top off for cleaning the burrs and you don't lose your grind settings, so much better than the Mazzer system!

I haven't gone for the new worm adjuster kit. I'd kind of like one but it's just too much money, I think they're over £350+ aren't they? You could almost get a used Niche for that.

Downside? A small amount of coffee doesn't always slide down the chute without help. I've flipped the metal SCS flap up out of the way and keep the chute clean and shiny to minimise this. Being hopper fed, when you're down to the last couple of shots it tends to produce grinds that run fast. You can replace the hopper with an acrylic tube and weight which helps consistency with small amounts of coffee because the weight simulates a full hopper. I keep meaning to try this but haven't got around to it. This is not s grinder for single dosing.

I haven't tried the Niche back to back with mine. Thing is, they're apples and pears. A £1000+ish big flat on demand espresso grinder is a very different proposition from a £500 kitchen-friendly small conical single doser that happily grinds for espresso to pour over makes a comparison difficult. DavecUK has lived with and thoroughly tested both grinders we're discussing and rated them both highly, but they are designed for different purposes.

The Niche really did fill a niche in the market with good engineering, good Mazzer burrs, ultra low retention and huge flexibility at a price where little else competes. That's why they're so popular. I'd probably have bought one if they had existed when I bought my E37S from Coffee Chap.

For me, I know I am happy with 150g in the hopper every day, I buy coffee by the kilo or 500g, almost all of which is light to early medium, so an 83mm flat OD does suit me well. I'm happy with the flavours it's capable of extracting from almost anything in combination with my 18g VST.

I have an Aeropress and Aergrind for brewing. At a pinch I can use the Aergrind to grind single doses for espresso if I wanted to, so for me I don't really need to get a Niche.

Horses for courses. I prefer my E37S but it cost 2x Niche at least, and it's more single minded than single doser. The Niche appears to punch above its weight for flexibility, form factor etc but for my tastes and habits I see the Ceado as an upgrade from the Mini, also from my Zenith 65E that I had, and for me it's (probably) a better choice than the Niche.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1