Earlepap

Has Bean - In My Mug

Got a bit of progress with the Catimor. Gone longer with espresso that has subdued the black pepper and is now much sweeter with chocolate to the front. Abandoned the V60 which to be fair has gone off its game recently, much more balanced in the aeropress. Still not entirely to my taste but getting better with this one, don't usually have to work this hard with HB but has been fun trying to get the right balance for my palette.

Pushed for time this AM, so went with Perger's V60 routine with the Catimor....had to pulse another 20g through at the end (definitey under after 200g). Didn't quite tap the full sweetness (a slight grind adjustment should fix that), some choc (sweeter than yesterday's Sowden), but the savoury spicyness/black pepper was much more complex.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

I'm brewing it a little hotter than normally would @ 94c. Find it get more chocolatey this way.

<a href="https://twitter.com/grahmart" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @grahmart</a>

<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document, 'script', 'twitter-wjs');</script>

Well, my 12 months expired last week. Im going to renew again - here's to another year of great coffee. Still nothing with such variety, provenance and value for money.

@garydyke1

Catimor produced a lovely CCD today, my first taste of it.

Perhaps a little extreme a production process:

CCD filled with 240g water , stopped the kettle just short of boiling

15g @ fine drip grind scattered across top of water

used the back of a small spoon to dunk the grinds a couple of times

Lid on

@12 mins used spoon to ensure no grinds had escaped contact with water.

@ 24 mins started the draw-down.

Finished @ 24.5 mins

Loads of chocolate and spice, with a creamy mouthfeel, still a little under extracted! Id go a tad finer and repeat the same.

I suspect this will be an awesome espresso

@garydyke1

Ever had a 19 second espresso? Which was actually nice?

Well my dialling in shot of the catimor wasnt half bad!

18g

19 seconds

34g out

chocolate and spice, touch of caramel!

@garydyke1

Very much enjoying this Catimor. Chemex today.

20g. bloomed 40 seconds

340g water @ 93c

3 mins 5 seconds

chocolate and black pepper. Quite 'rustic' on the finish but all held together with that great mouthfeel

@garydyke1

Costa Rica Margarita Zalmari F1 - Sowden brew.

64g coffee (1.7 turns on the Lido - coarse drip, not quite typical French press, it's the finest grind I can use before silt becomes an issue in the Sowden).

...added to 1200g of 'just off the boil' water in the brewer, gently fold in grinds then a quick stir down of the bloom.

...steeped for 1 hour (a colleague had a dental appt., consensus was wait til he got back).

Honey sweetness & rich dark choc. Clean finish...sublime.

If you like coffee, you'll love this...a good, safe bet for those bewildered by Hasbean's range, or those who have struggled to get past sourness with other HB beans.

Costa Rica Margarita Zalmari F1 - Sowden brew.

64g coffee (1.7 turns on the Lido - coarse drip, not quite typical French press, it's the finest grind I can use before silt becomes an issue in the Sowden).

...added to 1200g of 'just off the boil' water in the brewer, gently fold in grinds then a quick stir down of the bloom.

...steeped for 1 hour (a colleague had a dental appt., consensus was wait til he got back).

Honey sweetness & rich dark choc. Clean finish...sublime.

If you like coffee, you'll love this...a good, safe bet for those bewildered by Hasbean's range, or those who have struggled to get past sourness with other HB beans.

Thats a record , surely?

@garydyke1

Thats a record , surely?

I dunno....there's still a mug's worth in there, which I'll drink in a couple of hour's time.

The only thing that can go wrong is it ends up too cold to enjoy (that one was just above blood temp?), but if you hit the sweetspot, it's lovely cold too. :-)

My last 2 CCDs with the Catimor took 45mins each...should have used the tap water!:rolleyes:;)

Edited by MWJB

I had a go at the Matt Perger v60 technique this morning.

12g @ very fine drip setting. Not a million miles off espresso setting 7 on maestro+

200g water , water stopped just short of boiling

bloomed with 50g, I didnt stir like a bandit but instead used the pour to stir the grinds up.

100g by one minute. Matt's grind must have been a lot finer and mine drained much quicker.

200g yay I got a Rao spin, brew all completed by 2 mins 10.

Im getting over a head cold so my nose is still broken . The aroma was ''coffee''

Mouthfeel is more gloopy than I normally like with Brewed, TDS must be way higher.

The flavour was ''specialty coffee'' with no bitterness, just a touch of black pepper spice.

I hate colds

@garydyke1

My V60 in Prufrock the other day basically followed the Matt Perger method(only the pouring kettle was replaced by an UberBoiler and I don't remember my barista stirring like a bandit! It was Mojo'ed and came in right where they where aiming for on paper but at £7.50 I wasn't overly impressed to be honest. That said I have used this method to devastating effect a couple of times in the past but I don't think it offers any room for deviation or error because before I gave up on it, it produced several failings.

@Dr_Strangebean

My V60 in Prufrock the other day basically followed the Matt Perger method(only the pouring kettle was replaced by an UberBoiler and I don't remember my barista stirring like a bandit! It was Mojo'ed and came in right where they where aiming for on paper but at £7.50 I wasn't overly impressed to be honest. That said I have used this method to devastating effect a couple of times in the past but I don't think it offers any room for deviation or error because before I gave up on it, it produced several failings.

I think mouth > calculations when it comes to coffee.

I seem to favour 16-17% extractions for brewed

@garydyke1

Exactly! I have never tested my extractions with machines to be honest, I have always brewed by senses alone and they've never let me down, not to say I wouldn't love a VST refractometer to play with but I will always brew by taste/flavour rather than numbers.

@Dr_Strangebean

I gave the method a good workout the other week, never quite hit Perger's extraction dead on, closest was 20.3% (& very enjoyable, could have gone further)...after a couple of over (but drinkable), dialling in brews they were generally ~20%. However, I think that with pourover, like espresso, it doesn't take much to throw things out, because it's speed of flow through the bed, rather than quantities/weights, that throws things off. Get your grind right for one bean, and it's just minor adjustments - change beans & you're back to square one.

Good for making lots of cups, quickly, same beans, minor grind adjustments - but for a cup, or two, at home I'd typically prefer to stick everything in a steeped brewer & just wait it out for a better strike rate.

Or, start at a higher ratio for the Perger method & finish off with a few extra, little pulses to bring it home. I have always struggled a bit with the notion that you finish a pourover brew with a pre-determined, finite weight of water, when it's the amount of water you add that dictates extraction level, adding a little more is the only way forward if you are under.

Pourover is a moving target for TDS, but steeped brews I'm tending to find, when I go by taste, I'm within +/- 0.02% TDS (+/- 0.05% yield), so I don't really think that there is that much of a discrepancy between taste vs numbers. Maybe more that 16-17% brews, like Gary's, are very tasty & accessible...then depending on how far you get after that, you are as likely to land in a trough, than hit a peak...& where exactly those peaks lie change some with grind quality, method & brewer.

Edited by MWJB

Anyone still using the Nicaragua from two weeks ago IMM?

It has really came alive yesterday and today even more than before. I thought perhaps yesterday was just a god-like shot but I've just produced exactly the same today so it's definitely the bean. It obviously develops further after a longer rest period than normal. It producing cream like shots and in milk is just beautiful.

I'm pulling 20g @ 93c in ceramic portafilter circa 30 seconds with 34-35g output. Incredible.

<a href="https://twitter.com/grahmart" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @grahmart</a>

<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document, 'script', 'twitter-wjs');</script>

Anyone still using the Nicaragua from two weeks ago IMM?

It has really came alive yesterday and today even more than before. I thought perhaps yesterday was just a god-like shot but I've just produced exactly the same today so it's definitely the bean. It obviously develops further after a longer rest period than normal. It producing cream like shots and in milk is just beautiful.

I'm pulling 20g @ 93c in ceramic portafilter circa 30 seconds with 34-35g output. Incredible.

I had two cups worth left in the bag, so I tried it again but couldn't grind it fine enough to get a slow enough extraction. Coffee needs to be very fresh to work with my current set up.

This weeks coffee is a stunning example of a well processed, perfectly roasted Bourbon. Im stuggling to make a bad drink out of it.

probably the best V60-01 I've ever had (never mind made) came from pot-luck.

8.5g

Setting 9 on Maestro.

Bloomed for 40 seconds with 'an amount' of water, circa 20g

Poured 3 x outwards spirals about half way up the brewer, leaving enough time in between each pour for the majority of water to drain through.

Took about 2 mins 20.

No idea on how much water used, circa 125ml ?

Anyway, absolutely spot on tasting notes - choc, caramel , biscuit with a gentle lime-cordial type acidity. The last gulp was stone-cold and brilliant.

@garydyke1

Pacamara 'elegant'. Doesnt require anything resembling elegant when it comes to grinding for espresso, it requires brute-force. 2 notches finer than anything else this year.

Started to taste very good with 2 very opposing recipes:

18g (just about fitted with some manipulation)

21 seconds

40g output (naked)

strawberry nesquick , very suprising it didnt go down the sink!

& overshooting the grind adjustment:

18g

30 seconds

22.5g output (2 x singles)

thick, rich and sweet, bakers chocolate, strawberry jam.

@garydyke1

...as brewed CCD

15g - a little finer than usual

255g water

95c

treated it like a cupping bowl, allowed to steep 18 mins

Not as sweet as the espresso shots. Very clean for a natural! subtle funk , strawberry angel delight, maybe a bit of darker fruit as it cooled.

@garydyke1

Oh dear once again proved that conference calls and manual pourover coffee dont mix.

v60-01

12.5g @ my default v60 grind. table salt

no idea of water temp

no idea of water added or beverage weight (finger in the air 220ml)

technique bloom for approx 45 secs

centre working out and back in

3 pulses. 4th pulse wash the 'high and dry' back into slurry

total time approx 2 mins

Smell , clearly pacamara natural . muted strawberry a little roasty.

First sip was decent , creamy body, little bit of sweetness.

As it cooled it proved to be very overextracted. bovril and bitterness muting what is a tasty coffee : (

@garydyke1

As is often the case the last few grams of the bag yields the best , sweetest , balanced espresso.

18g

PID @ 93c

29 seconds

32.6g (2 x 16.3g)

Running more water through this coffee get the sweetness, normally this might detract from mouthfeel, however this is quite a gloopy 'lil number.

Theres 18g left for a flatwhite tomorrow then its on to the 2nd Pacarmara in the current IMM trilogy

@garydyke1

Pacamara Limoncillo washed . What a superb coffee! Slightly lighter roast than the Elegant. Had great success as espresso on the weekend, nailed the tasting notes, slightly longer shots 18g into 37-38g

CCD

15g @ my regular v60 grind, wanted a quick turn around.

255g water

11 min steep. 1min 10 sec draw down

All the notes are spot on , once again Steve nailed it.

Lemon pith, hoppy 'citra' type dryness. sweetness and some choc. creamy body.

£5.50 a bag for such a small lot is a bargain.

@garydyke1

Guatamala Finca Insul Huehuetenango Washed Pacamara, steeped in the Sowden - Bang on! Great body, sweet, choc, malt, gentle acidity, a simply delicious coffee.