Has Bean - In My Mug

You guys any comments on the Guatemala El Bosque Red washed Bourbon ?

I have to say another roast nailed and a delicious 'solid' all-round coffee, didnt get a chance to try in milk.

Espresso - the coffee had a strange 'deadband', but either side was heaven.

18g/92C/1.7 ratio 24-27 seconds = bright sweet thirstquenchingly yummy. Choc and red fruits, great silky mouthfeel and acidity.

28-40 seconds couldnt get this to work for me, very strange.

41-50 seconds with 1.5 ratio @91C = deep choc caramel, liquid toffee silky mouthfeel

Brewed - such an easy going coffee, took all sorts of abuse in both v60-01 & v60-02, kantan and aeropress, came out tasty. The core sweetness and chocolate shining through all parameters. Again silky mouthfeel.

Would work well in all manner of blends. Gaz's Glitter pt2, anyone? lol

Just to illustrate this point I am enjoying my best brew with the IMM 205 Guatemalan El Bosque Red Bourbon from this method. 21 grams, 5 secs in the blade grinder then a few pulses to break the larger chunks. Preheat FP and then add grinds, bloom for 30-40 secs with water 40 secs off boil. Click kettle back on for 1 second and leave to cool during bloom. add rest of water to approx 350ml. Push grinds just below the surface. Steep for 6 mins. Pour a little off and taste. Perfect! Plunge and pour.

Chocolate and dark fruit on the nose. Nice burble of acidity. Good body (obviously :p). Dark choc on the finish.

Sorry Gary. Buying 3 bags of beans from Square Mile knocked me back a couple weeks on IMM tastings. These beans are quite old but are still good, which is testament to the great bags that Has Bean supplies their coffee in.

The results above with the FP led me to believe that this would be perfect for espresso based milk drinks so I gave this a try today. The espresso was more in a traditional style for me, but delicious nonetheless with a dark choc bitter finish. In a flat white it tastes just like good quality drinking chocolate. Delicious.

Home - Quickmill Veloce Prototype with IMS Shower | EK43 | Torr Blackwood Trapez Goldfinger | IMS 22g Basket

Work - Quickmill Andreja Premium | Nuova Simonelli Oscar | Gaggia Classic DIY PID mod with Rancilio Silvia Steam Wand

Work - Mazzer Super Jolly (Doser) | Anfim Super Best | VST 18g Basket | Torr Black Metal Goldfinger handle with Standard Flat base

Brewed - OE Lido | Porlex Mini | Aeropress | V60-01 | Chemex 10 cup

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, I Thought I might revive this thread as I've recently started a fortnightly IMM subscription, so here goes!   IMM #608 - COSTA RICA FINCA LICHO YELLOW HONEY VILLA SARCHI I cupped t

Photo from HasBean's FB Page - is that any help?

I think the "small" one is a 25kg Probat. More photos here (from 2007!): https://www.flickr.com/photos/hasbean/sets/72157600935851692/   I'm not sure what the red one is, looks significantly

Posted Images

I am currently very much enjoying OCC's (Ouseburn Coffee Company) Foundry No1 blend as a base espresso for my flat whites. This coffee is a delight and is made from a blend of three beautifully roasted beans. 40% Brazilian Santos 40% El Salvador RFA SHG and 20% Samatra Pure Lintong. Awesome!

The Pure Lintong is a great twist in this blend giving it a bright/clean citrus edge.

bu8abere.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by AndyL

Gaggia Selecta Coffee Delux (Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, OPV and steam valve mod) : Iberital MC2 : Happy Donkey Tamper : Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter :

Favourite coffee/roast is currently BSCA#1 Brazilian Speciality Coffee Association number 1 blend from Two Day Coffee Roasters Bristol :

Ethiopia Kerbal Konga as a v60-01. massively overextracted, faffing with Matt Pergers technique which even he overextracts (I hate those with top-end grinders grrrrr)

Cup of thick blackcurrants and funk, another 0.1% extraction would be knocking on bovril's black-bitter door.

3-4 clicks coarser and all the lighter fruits will be revealed as per my dialling in espresso yesterday which was opal-fruits in a blender with caramel!

@garydyke1

I am currently very much enjoying OCC's (Ouseburn Coffee Company) Foundry No1 blend as a base espresso for my flat whites. This coffee is a delight and is made from a blend of three beautifully roasted beans. 40% Brazilian Santos 40% El Salvador RFA SHG and 20% Samatra Pure Lintong. Awesome!

The Pure Lintong is a great twist in this blend giving it a bright/clean citrus edge.

What the roast profile like ? Oils showing ?

@garydyke1

Ethiopia Kerbal Konga as a v60-01. massively overextracted, faffing with Matt Pergers technique which even he overextracts (I hate those with top-end grinders grrrrr)

Cup of thick blackcurrants and funk, another 0.1% extraction would be knocking on bovril's black-bitter door.

3-4 clicks coarser and all the lighter fruits will be revealed as per my dialling in espresso yesterday which was opal-fruits in a blender with caramel!

Need to get some of this stuff. It sounds bonkers!!

Home - Quickmill Veloce Prototype with IMS Shower | EK43 | Torr Blackwood Trapez Goldfinger | IMS 22g Basket

Work - Quickmill Andreja Premium | Nuova Simonelli Oscar | Gaggia Classic DIY PID mod with Rancilio Silvia Steam Wand

Work - Mazzer Super Jolly (Doser) | Anfim Super Best | VST 18g Basket | Torr Black Metal Goldfinger handle with Standard Flat base

Brewed - OE Lido | Porlex Mini | Aeropress | V60-01 | Chemex 10 cup

Need to get some of this stuff. It sounds bonkers!!

Blindfolded and smelling the grinds I would shout 'this is a natural'....but by taste things are less clear..over extract = blackcurrant/funky...correctly extract = opal fruits....under extract = acidity to take your face off (but still nice)

@garydyke1

What the roast profile like ? Oils showing ?

No oils present. It's a fairly light almost medium roast. I was speaking to Simon the roaster yesterday about it and he had tried it all the way to second crack and quite oily but it was missing so many of the flavours. This lighter roast also has a much higher caffeine content. Boom! Mate you have to try it.

I'm interviewing the guys from OCC on Thursday as I think their story is really interesting and I feel sure the forum readers would love hearing about how they went from home roasting to a full blown business.

Gaggia Selecta Coffee Delux (Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, OPV and steam valve mod) : Iberital MC2 : Happy Donkey Tamper : Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter :

Favourite coffee/roast is currently BSCA#1 Brazilian Speciality Coffee Association number 1 blend from Two Day Coffee Roasters Bristol :

Blindfolded and smelling the grinds I would shout 'this is a natural'....but by taste things are less clear..over extract = blackcurrant/funky...correctly extract = opal fruits....under extract = acidity to take your face off (but still nice)

From the aeropress with a fairly course grind it's pretty much peaches all the way for me with maybe just a touch of something darker lurking around. Not really getting the opal fruits thing but it's bloody delicious whatever.

From the aeropress with a fairly course grind it's pretty much peaches all the way for me with maybe just a touch of something darker lurking around. Not really getting the opal fruits thing but it's bloody delicious whatever.

v60-02 today much coarser grind (still approx 4 mins total) & I have to agree peaches featured in the notes I was picking up. It was like a peach/apricot crumble but with an oaty-chocolate topping, none of the blackcurrant or funk.

Very mixed results, not a bad thing as every cup has been tasty for differing reasons

@garydyke1

Guatemala platanillo maragogype washed - HUGE brittle beans. 18g only just about fitted into the throat of Roy & head space in the e61 pushed to the limit too.

Struggled as espresso, grinding 2cm away from touching burrs the shot time was reduced to 25 seconds, any smaller dose would require turkish level of grind! Too acidic for me, not in the 'tangy' way either, purely from an acid-chemical effect in the mouth. I pulled an 18> 34g>19 second shot which was as good as it got, bags of caramel and apple/pear & into a flat white it cut through very very well indeed, gaining apprechiative 'yum' noises from Laura. Id love to try a 18g>25g>40 second pull to mute the acidity and pull some depth out of the sweetness but i'm not sure Roy would cope with the grind required.

As brewed I had a v60-01 this morning. 10g>167g>2 mins 15secs. Very gluggable and 'clean'. again caramel with apples and pears, faint touch of 'tin of fruit salad' in there but not the tropical Steve mentioned.

EDIT - I just managed 18g>25g>38 seconds @93c ristretto which wasnt as difficult as i'd assumed. The most intense apple-sweetness, which transitions into caramel and swiftly vanishes , hmmm a ghostretto

Edited by garydyke1

@garydyke1

Guatemala platanillo maragogype washed - HUGE brittle beans. 18g only just about fitted into the throat of Roy & head space in the e61 pushed to the limit too.

Struggled as espresso, grinding 2cm away from touching burrs the shot time was reduced to 25 seconds, any smaller dose would require turkish level of grind! Too acidic for me, not in the 'tangy' way either, purely from an acid-chemical effect in the mouth. I pulled an 18> 34g>19 second shot which was as good as it got, bags of caramel and apple/pear & into a flat white it cut through very very well indeed, gaining apprechiative 'yum' noises from Laura. Id love to try a 18g>25g>40 second pull to mute the acidity and pull some depth out of the sweetness but i'm not sure Roy would cope with the grind required.

As brewed I had a v60-01 this morning. 10g>167g>2 mins 15secs. Very gluggable and 'clean'. again caramel with apples and pears, faint touch of 'tin of fruit salad' in there but not the tropical Steve mentioned.

EDIT - I just managed 18g>25g>38 seconds @93c ristretto which wasnt as difficult as i'd assumed. The most intense apple-sweetness, which transitions into caramel and swiftly vanishes , hmmm a ghostretto

I've tried ristretto and espresso pours on this, all I get is the massive green apple acidity, with maybe a very slight toffee aftertaste on the espresso pour.

Don't suppose you have any pictures of the beans? Took it to a medium.

I've tried ristretto and espresso pours on this, all I get is the massive green apple acidity, with maybe a very slight toffee aftertaste on the espresso pour.

Best shot so far of this coffee

18g>33g>26 [email protected]

Balanced is the wrong word, it was overly acidic and sweet for that term. However delicious is the right word, although the vanishing act on the finish is consistantly apparent - apple and caramel slightest touch of almonds

@garydyke1

Best shot so far of this coffee

18g>33g>26 [email protected]

Balanced is the wrong word, it was overly acidic and sweet for that term. However delicious is the right word, although the vanishing act on the finish is consistantly apparent - apple and caramel slightest touch of almonds

To be fair, I think it's getting better. It wasn't too bad at ~38 seconds. Wouldn't call it delicious though, still quite an acidic coffee.

There is, however, one thing which I haven't tried in ages, comparing steves roast to a home roast. I know his will be better, but it's been a while since I knew how much.

Edited by RisingPower

David Vilca OMG, the odd bean suprisingly appeared to have a touch of oil showing, although it doesnt look overly dark, the smell not roasty in the slightest. Opened day 6 after roasting.

How often is a dialling in shot nice, very nice, or even lush? Once in a blue moon?

First shot clearly too tight 26g was reached from 18g & I bailed on the shot @ 36 seconds. The result = Incredible.

Credit to Steve - The tasting notes are absolutely bang-on. Im getting the juniper same as last year, but there is more red-berry this time round, less pear. The coffee has definately evolved. Clean and sweet, acidity is perfectly balanced with milk choc and touch of something nutty. The citrus and spice he refers to , with my palate , comes across as pine-needle/rosemary/sage territory. So complex

espresso of the year by a mile & not being dialled in yet either.....

I may well be grabbing a kilo of this for espresso, 250g just isnt enough to play with as brewed also

@garydyke1

I had my first Aeropress of the David Vilca this morning - tasted amazing! Peach sweetness with a touch of pineapple acidity and chocolate in the background. It was my first brew as well! I'll be having a few more cups then saving the rest for espresso when it has rested a bit more (mine wasn't IMM so was roasted on the 20th).

Roy & Alex & The Maestro & Herman ze Hausgrind

I had my first Aeropress of the David Vilca this morning - tasted amazing! Peach sweetness with a touch of pineapple acidity and chocolate in the background. It was my first brew as well! I'll be having a few more cups then saving the rest for espresso when it has rested a bit more (mine wasn't IMM so was roasted on the 20th).

Ive no doubt it will be brilliant brewed also. Kilo kilo kilo

@garydyke1

Oddly enough a bag of David Vilca unexpectedly turned up after my IMM subscription had ended. Not sure if this was a mistake or a freebie to make up for the Post Office shenanigans with delivering an IMM earlier this year. I had intended to take a week or two break from the subscription just to work on the stockpile and try a few things from other roasters. Anyway, whatever the reason I'm very glad to have it.

From the aeropress I'm getting huge milk chocolate sweetness with a goodly kick of red fruit acidity, not massive but enough to stop it being blandly sweet. There also nuts and spices in there. Not really getting any juniper or the odder flavours that have been mentioned but that's probably just me. I haven't tried it with any other brewing methods but it's so good from the AP that I'm not really that motivated to play around.

Getting near the time for drawing up top tens, I'll be surprised if this doesn't make it into mine.