Earlepap

Has Bean - In My Mug

I have a monthly IMM sub and use it only for brewed. I've had it for about three years and I can only remember one bag of beans that I wasn't big on.

For espresso, i usually buy a minimum of 1kg at a time and of the same beans, and not from HasBean. This is because I don't like to chop and change too much with espresso. But this time I have broke that mound and bought 2 x espresso starter packs from HasBean..

I'm sure you will enjoy IMM if you decide to sign up

Arm twisted, signing up next week when my beans should start getting low.

V60, done right with a gooseneck and (now replaced, phew) accurate scales is a revelation to me.

I am glad my arm was twisted.

The Malawi msese is really lovely through pourover. I've not touched moka or aeropress since figuring out the best way to do a pourover (with the help of this forum) so no idea how it is through them, but it's a deliciously sweet, fruity coffee with initial floral flavours followed by that sweet, fruity flavour. I'm not getting the chocolate milk in the notes, but more of an apple-ish flavour. Perhaps the chocolate flavour comes through more when the beans are more rested, or through espresso.

12g beans, 20g bloom 30 seconds, made up to 80g for 30 seconds (poured over 15 seconds or so) then 40g every 30 seconds poured over about 10 seconds each. Total brew time is 2 minutes 50 seconds, give or take 5 seconds, plus another 20 seconds for the last drips to come through.

Bolivia David Vilca

V60, 13.5g coffee > 20 g water bloom 30 sec > 1 single pour 200 g water. Total brew time 3:01 including bloom.

Bit of chocolate and white grapes, but definitively too bitter. Any advice for a sweeter brew?

Bolivia David Vilca

V60, 13.5g coffee > 20 g water bloom 30 sec > 1 single pour 200 g water. Total brew time 3:01 including bloom.

Bit of chocolate and white grapes, but definitively too bitter. Any advice for a sweeter brew?

Is the bitterness like a dark chocolate bitterness? I haven't found this to be a particularly sweet coffee.

Try grinding coarser & adding the post bloom brew water 33g every 20sec, looking for a dry bed ~3:10.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Is the bitterness like a dark chocolate bitterness? I haven't found this to be a particularly sweet coffee.

Try grinding coarser & adding the post bloom brew water 33g every 20sec, looking for a dry bed ~3:10.

Just tried coarsening, 4 pours of 50g every 30 secs. Dry bed at 3:40.

Much more drinkable that last one. Will coarsen further. Thanks

Bolivia David Vilca, Bit of chocolate and white grapes, but definitively too bitter. Any advice for a sweeter brew?

I've got this coffee too and I'm not particularly impressed. For me it's too bitter even using fairly quick 2 minute extractions. I'm hoping that as I find with other hasbeans that it will get better at 14 days post roast date. I'll make another brew and come back with a descriptor on the type of bitterness.

Instagram = @unolonu

Starting to get some chocolate now from the msese.

Still a sweet, floral and fruit flavour for the most part but today I am definitely getting a chocolate flavour come through. The overall flavour is more balanced, too, less fruity acidity. Perhaps a few days resting really makes it come alive - hoping more sweet chocolate can come through.

Has Bean El Salvador Finca Argentina, San Jorge Tablon washed Bourbon - Caramel, sweet green apple, milk choc in the finish. Brewed as drip. Should be a real crowd pleaser.

Does everyone receive different coffees then? I received Ethiopia Mokanisa Bulega Washed. It is only my second fortnightly pack of beans though.

Sage DB (black) and Niche Zero (black)

I really enjoyed the Argentina finca. Took a while to dial in on new filter papers, but after going coarse and pouring small/frequently (thanks again, MWJB!) I've been enjoying drinks coming in at about a 4 minute brew (give or take ten seconds). Pretty smooth, a little acidity and a cocoa flavour that really dominates everything else.

I still preferred the Malawi msese from a few weeks back, but that was absolutely fantastic. I've still very much enjoyed this one, and I'm so glad my brews are back on track.

Has Bean El Salvador Finca Argentina, San Jorge Tablon washed Bourbon - Caramel, sweet green apple, milk choc in the finish. Brewed as drip. Should be a real crowd pleaser.

bizarrely I'd ordered this a while ago and rested it, it's been in the freezer for a week. just got round to drinking it, loving the apple.

on my 2nd chemex of the day with it!

Yuxo09y.jpg

On this week's now, an Ethiopian.

Not bad, nicer than the last yirgacheffe - citrus and a little sweetness. It drains very slow in a v60 so I'm still dialling in my grind on this, finding the flavour sweet spot.

I also got a bit of a boozy, alcohol sort of flavour on the after taste. An interesting coffee, though not my fave. Should be totally dialled in today (tried coarser and although it drained in a more reasonable 4 minutes 45 it didn't taste so great).

Kenya Kieni AA washed SL28 - Orange, caramel, creamy, hint of jasmine. Very tasty.

Had that one last year and it was great. I'm sure it was blackberry/currant last year. Amazing how a different years crop can have different flavours.

Had that one last year and it was great. I'm sure it was blackberry/currant last year. Amazing how a different years crop can have different flavours.

Indeed. There were a couple of crops last year & one of those was citrus/cane syrup (as were quite a few Kenyans from other roasters at that time), on top of that I sometimes find SLs change flavour (maybe the berry gives way to more caramel) from start to end of the bag.

Recipe?

Brewed as drip & Aeropress.

Drip - Kalita Caffe Uno (like a little Melitta cone, but I'd also try this with V60):

12g dose, ground at 2+6 on Feldgrind.

25g bloom with water at rolling boil, 30sec.

25g every 15sec until 200g total.

aiming dry bed ~2:30 to 2:45.

Leave another 30-40sec for drips to cease.

Aeropress:

12g dose ground at 2+6 on Feldgrind.

220g boiling water straight in (I use a compact kettle & weigh the water into it before boiling, allowing for evaporation etc.) & fit the plunger in just enough to stop flow.

You get ~30g of watery drip through, discard this & place AP on a new cup.

2:00 after filling, pull out the plunger & let it drain under gravity, break any crust at this point. I'm finding the first minute drains at ~1g/sec.

At 4:30 total time replace the plunger & press slowly until you see dry bed in the AP, until about 5:00.

You should get ~155g of coffee about 1.28%TDS in the cup.

Chemex

39g dose after excluding largest 20% by weight, Lido2 V1 burrs at 19 marks from zero.

Hario 02 paper

Collapse-able colander used as dispersion screen

Boiling water into Hario Buono.

Bloom 75g 30sec.

75g every 30sec until 675g total, dry bed visible at end of last pour 4:30.

Leave about a minute for drips to slow/cease.

This one was tasty, but on the light side, tomorrow I'll bloom 68g, then 67g every 30sec until 675 total (adds 30sec overall).

Just wondering how long people rest their beans and whats longest period you have left from roast date? Trying to get my order timing perfected. I reckon I would use a bag a week and would order 3 at a time, rest time 5-7 days would mean the last bag would be used in the fourth week after roasting, is that too long?. Maybe I should just get two bags!

Seems to be a lot of opinions on this. Most seem to think if beans are used within a month then you are ok.

Chemex

39g dose after excluding largest 20% by weight, Lido2 V1 burrs at 19 marks from zero.

Hario 02 paper

Collapse-able colander used as dispersion screen

Boiling water into Hario Buono.

Bloom 75g 30sec.

75g every 30sec until 675g total, dry bed visible at end of last pour 4:30.

Leave about a minute for drips to slow/cease.

This one was tasty, but on the light side, tomorrow I'll bloom 68g, then 67g every 30sec until 675 total (adds 30sec overall).

In the end I went a mark finer & stayed with 75g pours for dry bed at 4:45, did the trick :-)

Edited by MWJB

NICARAGUA FINCA LIMONCILLO WASHED PACAMARA PEABERRY - Delicious, sweet & fruity, hint of spice in the finish. The nicest coffee I've had for a few weeks.

This weeks BOLIVIA VINCENT PAYE WASHED CATURRA is a winner both as espresso and as a cap. Kinda works for me as a fruit version of the idea of a comfort espresso.

It's a soft, relatively low acidity but undeniably fruity cup.

Delicious success at 19g -> 33g in 34 seconds on stock gaggia classic with 18g vst basket.

I found this to be better without milk and pretty acidic.

EL SALVADOR FINCA ARGENTINA WASHED BOURBON

In the cup this coffee is super moreish with buckets of milk chocolate and caramel being thrown around everywhere. There's also a sweet whoosh of orange and a green apple acidity

Yeah this one is wonderful as an espresso/milk drink

Yeah this one is wonderful as an espresso/milk drink

Just tried my first mug of this using the French Press. Tasting notes are spot on. Really nice coffee.