IGNORED

Resting coffee - why and how long .

This question of resting coffee comes up quite a lot and I seem to post the same link each time , so I’d thought I’d start a thread that perhaps can become sticky to point people to.

I’ll attach a couple of the resources that reference a few different opinion .

lime a lot of knowledge and advice in coffee there is no absolute truth in how long you should rest your coffee for, in general though most people say some period of rest for coffee is a good idea , especially for making espresso . 

Of course I know roasters that drink stuff fresh from the roaster so it’s down to preference and taste as always.

I tend to rest ( not use ) a bean until two weeks for espresso as per the Gwilliam Davies video linked , square mile sat up to three weeks.  But it really is up to you, have a look at the resources linked and try and. Are your own mind up.

why. Fresher beans can be a pain to dial in for espresso and  can for me exhibit a harsh , bitter tonic water  like taste . 

please free free to comment below on what you do.

lastly I see people asking for opinions on how long a particular coffee or origin from a roaster  should rest for , again me I do the same thing for all beans. 

https://www.lacabra.dk/blogs/news/we-should-be-resting-our-coffee

https://www.squaremileblog.com/2020/02/21/red-brick-and-freshness/

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 12
  • Mrboots2u changed the title to Resting coffee - why and how long .
  • The Systemic Kid pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was just getting into making coffee because there are other problems when it comes to this. It was all me though because I didn't know anything about it. I was the kind of person to actually buy from the Starbucks and drink instant coffee. However, I've seen that there are a lot of positives to take away from actual beans and it makes it a better tasting experience.

I freeze very little coffee but always have around 500g frozen for emergencies. I freeze after degassing from 7 to 10 days resting.

I use Vacu Vin containers otherwise, and keep the beans under vacuum seal in a non heated room in the house. I use these again after degassing the beans in the original bag.

I don't have a problem keeping beans this way up to at least 6 weeks.

I have various sized Vacu Vin containers, (now they've been bought out  by Tomorrow's Kitchen). Expensive initially but I have collected quite a few over the years some new and some from ebay bidding. I've been using Vacu Vin for 30 years, originally used as wine stoppers to keep wine fresh in the bottle after opening and not finishing the bottle. There seems to be other manufacturers of vacuum containers nowadays. I cannot comment on their products. The plastic vacuum bags sold as Sous Vide bags that I use in the freezer, I have had limited success with. Around half of them lose the vacuum whilst frozen and so need regular watching.

I remove a few days supply of beans from the Vacu Vin container at a time and keep them next to the grinder in a small Airscape container.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vacu-Vin-Coffee-and-Tea-Storage-Container-with-Vacuum-Pump-Medium-1-30-Litre/332303047240?hash=item4d5ece1a48:g:UyIAAOSwqfNXoP~Y

• Like 1

I don’t freeze much coffee and I’ve not much to add to this other than I freeze beans in batches of approx 80-100g.
This allows me to use frozen beans within 2-3 days. In my experience I’ve found that frozen beans seem to deteriorate rapidly in a week -10 days after they’ve been taken out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

La Cabra just change the resting time from 21 days to 14 days for espresso 😁, I am not agree even La Cabra's beans peaks after 6 or 7 days in my taste, some times notes are disappearing in 8 day also La Cabra's coffee 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2020 at 00:38, JackHK said:

La Cabra just change the resting time from 21 days to 14 days for espresso 😁, I am not agree even La Cabra's beans peaks after 6 or 7 days in my taste, some times notes are disappearing in 8 day also La Cabra's coffee 

They still have 21 days on the stickers. 

I saved a unopened bag for four weeks and it was a disappointing experience. 

As you said their coffees peak at 6-7 days. I have been subscribing their beans  for a while and will cancel it soon. Next months Columbia’s might be the last ones.

I freeze beans earlier in original bags and wasn’t really satisfied with the results. I will try something else in near future.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Kimmo said:

They still have 21 days on the stickers. 

I saved a unopened bag for four weeks and it was a disappointing experience. 

As you said their coffees peak at 6-7 days. I have been subscribing their beans  for a while and will cancel it soon. Next months Columbia’s might be the last ones.

I freeze beans earlier in original bags and wasn’t really satisfied with the results. I will try something else in near future.

Then I think they do not update there whole website completly
Try look inside example here 14 days 😉 https://www.lacabra.dk/products/los-pirineos-semi-carbonic-maceration-petites 

On 01/01/2021 at 13:51, JackHK said:

Then I think they do not update there whole website completly
Try look inside example here 14 days 😉 https://www.lacabra.dk/products/los-pirineos-semi-carbonic-maceration-petites 

Yeah, I have seen that. On the boxes the info is still 21 days for espresso.

I should get a batch later this week. These I will start using straight away.

Out of interest no resting after the shipping time which isn’t that long to Sweden. 

I have always liked La Cabra coffees. Light and bright. 

I only brew espresso and I have a feeling that the La Cabra beans will give more as a filter brew.

Edited by Kimmo
On 04/01/2021 at 15:38, Kimmo said:

Out of interest no resting after the shipping time which isn’t that long to Sweden. 

I only brew espresso and I have a feeling that the La Cabra beans will give more as a filter brew.

Also only mostly espresso here, I also like La Cabra, but its depends on which beans there have 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2021 at 15:38, Kimmo said:

I just received new coffee from La Cabra 🥰  looks intresting, the date on La Cabras coffee seems to be tailored to the individual beans 😉 I will still keep my standart and start use for espresso on 6 day after roast

lacabradate.jpg

Edited by JackHK
4 hours ago, JackHK said:

I just received new coffee from La Cabra 🥰  looks intresting, the date on La Cabras coffee seems to be tailored to the individual beans 😉 I will still keep my standart and start use for espresso on 6 day after roast

lacabradate.jpg

The Illubabor is with new info. Fazenda has the old info. 

ADE020BF-11B3-456C-A550-B41D45285E00.jpeg

Edited by Kimmo
  • Like 1
On 15/01/2021 at 21:05, Kimmo said:

The Illubabor is with new info. Fazenda has the old info. 

I don't think, I believe La Cabra tailor made info for each bean, maybe we need to ask them directly to find out

Edited by JackHK
On 17/01/2021 at 02:24, JackHK said:

I don't think, I believe La Cabra tailor made info for each bean, maybe we need to ask them directly to find out

That would be interesting to know.

How’s the Illubabor?

• Like 1

One of the best La Cabra I have tasted.

Berry note was upfront and I really liked that. Day 10 after roast they sadly disappeared.

The bag has been open for 3 days. Totally different coffee. 

464423F7-16C8-4293-8B42-663D349491A1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Honestly I'm pretty shocked by the responses above. I've been subscribing to La Cabra for over a year now and to me they absolutely taste best and most representative of the tasting notes after 3-4 weeks of rest. Flavour can pop in the first days but is generally muddled and uninspiring. After 3-4 weeks, flavour separation and clarity is getting really good and it stays like that until the 6-7 week mark for me. 

This is 80-90% filter fwiw. 

I think it could depend a lot on technique. If you do preinfusion in espresso or blooming in filter, excess co2 might not screw extraction as much. La Cabra themselves and I do a 4 X coffee weight first pour which seems to cause real issues if the beans are not well rested. 

Edited by HBLP