IGNORED

Fresh roasts and fruity notes

Anyone have any thoughts or experience about whether fresh roasts with roasty notes blunt or mask fruity notes initially? 

I am just wondering this as I am finding that my fruitier coffees that I've roasted tend to be a bit muted for the first week or so, then the roasty bitterness tends to diminish as the fruit notes start to come forward. 

It's made me wonder if with coffee tasting notes whether it's a case of we can only taste the most prominent notes, which is why they seem to change over time, as different molecules are released, leaving behind other notes to come to the fore. 

This would make sense to me as there are no further reactions in the coffee, bar oxidation, therefore the concept of different notes would be a case of more prominant ones leaving. 

The example I can relate this to is caramelised onions, every chef knows to truly caramelise an onion you need 2 things, time and salt. NO SUGAR! 
If you overdo the heat too early you get burnt bits which cloud all sweetness, even if they are only very small. The caramel is still there but you can't taste it. 
If you were to carefully remove the burnt bits then it would start to sing again. 

My guess would be CO2 interfering with extraction in the early days, low side of normal can produce carbony/charred notes. As the beans degas, it may be becoming easier to extract them.

We have no molecular data to work from, but we know the beans aren't unroasting themselves. So, if they taste better after a week, let them rest for a week.

Is this just with espresso, or is the same happening with brewed? If it only happens with espresso, then it's espresso related & nothing to do with the bean properties (beyond aforementioned outgassing).

37 minutes ago, MWJB said:

My guess would be CO2 interfering with extraction in the early days, low side of normal can produce carbony/charred notes. As the beans degas, it may be becoming easier to extract them.

We have no molecular data to work from, but we know the beans aren't unroasting themselves. So, if they taste better after a week, let them rest for a week.

Is this just with espresso, or is the same happening with brewed? If it only happens with espresso, then it's espresso related & nothing to do with the bean properties (beyond aforementioned outgassing).

Interesting, I didn't think CO2 would give those notes. 
I don't drink anything other than espresso based drinks when at home, occasional aeropress at work, which tends to get pretty much anything thrown in it. 

8 minutes ago, TomHughes said:

Interesting, I didn't think CO2 would give those notes. 
I don't drink anything other than espresso based drinks when at home, occasional aeropress at work, which tends to get pretty much anything thrown in it. 

I'm not sure it is the CO2 being directly responsible for the notes, e.g. the taste of CO2/carbonic acid. More that slightly low extractions often have those notes and the difficulty in driving off CO2 in an enclosed system (it can dissipate fine in an open brewer) could be causing the lower extractions.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...