Hello

I am looking to make freddo espresso as it is offered in Greece. This is a quite specific taste.

Dolce Gusto have pods for freddo espresso specifically but they are not available in the UK.

Is there any other alternative?

From other experience, I tried making normal espresso and adding ice/water but it was too weak.

I am looking for an out-of-the-box solution or a good recipe.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, spasypaddy said:

buy one of these

snapshotimagehandler_550949788.jpeg?h=54

pour coffee over

???

???

Profit

sorry, couldnt resist :)

I genuinely thought this is what Freddo coffee was and thought "what a good idea".

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

It's funny cos there is another thread I was participating in called "who makes a mean hot chocolate" and the first thing that came to mind was "Freddo"! And then today this thread appears.

___
Eat, drink and be merry.
Rocket R58, Ceado E37S, Aeropress, Aergrind, Torr Goldfinger flat and convex.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

so far, a bit rude/elitist to a new member I think.

...is a Freddo the same as a Frappe?

In my (limited) experience a drink whizzed up in a beach bar milk shake machine (next to the citrus juicer), from Nescafe and a bit of water, ice, (sugar optional) and condensed / evaporated milk? if so not a coffee as we expect it here, but not something to deride either, found a frappe to be a good summer cooler!

Ha, got the Nescafe word in there!

17 minutes ago, Syenitic said:

so far, a bit rude/elitist to a new member I think.

...is a Freddo the same as a Frappe?

In my (limited) experience a drink whizzed up in a beach bar milk shake machine (next to the citrus juicer), from Nescafe and a bit of water, ice, (sugar optional) and condensed / evaporated milk? if so not a coffee as we expect it here, but not something to deride either, found a frappe to be a good summer cooler!

You think there's something elitist about using a freddo to make a mocha variant?? I'm actually going to try it.

Having googled it, a freddo is not the same as a frappe, it's a cold cappucino. It's espresso based and is topped with cold foamed milk which as far as I can tell is created by shaking it separately (possibly with ice). Actually sounds good if you like that kind of thing, personally I don't like cold espresso drinks but I have found pulling the espresso straight over a large ice ball is better than pulling into a shot glass and then transferring to ice. I'd probably prefer it with cold brew.

On another note I'd no idea a frappe was traditionally made with instant. 

Edited by Rob1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

7 hours ago, coffeeeer said:

I am looking to make freddo espresso as it is offered in Greece. This is a quite specific taste.

I have seen everyone drinks this in Grease, and thought it would be great, but the few times I tried it I got awful coffee (maybe I just got unlucky). I think the most common one is made of instant coffee, and is based on whisking equal volumes of coffee, sugar and water to get a thick foam, then top it up with water or milk. maybe It isn't far from the Dalgona coffee that James Hoffmann explores bellow?

After posting this I realised that I was talking about Frappé, which is different from Freddo, as explained here: https://greekcitytimes.com/2019/05/13/frappe-and-freddo-greeces-most-popular-summer-coffee-drinks/

Edited by Doram
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

On another note I'd no idea a frappe was traditionally made with instant. 

My experience of Frappe is far flung deep south Crete, which might, given the beautiful laid back nature of the folk there, be a bit of a lazy version - I'll take that if it is

Edited by Syenitic
grammar

Hey there hope you are well.

As an original Greek (is there anyone else here in the forum?). Might be able to help you with that.

The recipe i could give you if u got a proper machine machine:

Make an espresso lungo (close to 60ml. Means a bit more caffeine).

Take one ice (only one)and hit it with your lungo. Now originally in Greece we are using:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOPING-NESCAFE-Milkshake-Powerful-Frother/dp/B08CS2YNV8/ref=asc_df_B08CS2YNV8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=430958692724&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2136727506535732751&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046929&hvtargid=pla-939552034065&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=97419447062&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=430958692724&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2136727506535732751&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046929&hvtargid=pla-939552034065

BUT i can guarantee to you that a milk frotter machine bit Powerful probably such:

https://www.hartsofstur.com/judge-chrome-milk-frother-tc344.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvRxtgoqltsd6I2i913ZQo6blqWWI0xmbcXBv1jbQgFOBeFL3YmsXnMaAmC8EALw_wcB

Will do your job. Add 2-3 cubes ices and enjoy .

For freddo cappuccino is the same procedure and we are using cold milk in a cold jug and we are hitting it with the frotter. Adding as a top. Hope that helps . Let me know if u need any help.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
so far, a bit rude/elitist to a new member I think. ...is a Freddo the same as a Frappe?

Definitely no rudeness or elitism on my part. The ultimate mocha is actual chocolate melted in steamed milk (as per the mean hot chocolate thread I referenced) and a shot of espresso. OK it doesn't have to be in the shape of a frog, but then where's the pun?!

I had "frappé" in South Cyprus which was definitely made using Nescafé though so I definitely agree with you on that. It makes a refreshing change from the powerful Greek coffee and I never thought I'd hear myself say it but yes, in that context Nescafé is actually nice!

Rocket R58, Ceado E37S, VST 18g, Aeropress, Aergrind, Torr Goldfinger flat and convex.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

4 hours ago, hotmetal said:

Definitely no rudeness or elitism on my part. The ultimate mocha is actual chocolate melted in steamed milk (as per the mean hot chocolate thread I referenced) and a shot of espresso. OK it doesn't have to be in the shape of a frog, but then where's the pun?! emoji6.png

Freddos have caramel in them too though? My only concern is the caramel won't integrate with the drink properly. 

WATER CALCULATOR

Hahaha we've gone so far off topic with the whole Freddo thing! The ones I remember as a child were solid chocolate but there are apparently other flavours which may have some kind of filling. I feel sorry for the OP now, what with people confusing freddo for Freddo and even frappé... but at least the question has finally been authoritatively answered by our resident expert on the subject, Zidane.