• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me?  I created the Coffee Forums first Groom. I joined in 2013, seeking advice on a coffee grinder for my then 15 year old, who'd just been diagnosed with severe and permanent sight loss. A diagn

Crazy days on here recently  I’m sorry to see what has happened - i also like to think no one set out to hurt or offend anyone when they joined a forum about coffee - the whole world is messed up n

You see there was a time when we genuinely fad fun, the events were great, Took a lot of organising and time but really interesting to meet the people behind the keyboards. Such a great bunch of old t

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Nah Darrrrrrrrrrrrrrrran

I know! He has been slack of late

• Like 1

Love life, love my wife, I’m a great guy!

Don't distract him, he's very busy sorting out LSOL...

___
Eat, drink and be merry.
Rocket R58, Ceado E37S, Aeropress, Aergrind, Torr Goldfinger flat and convex.

• Like 1

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Me?  I created the Coffee Forums first Groom.

I joined in 2013, seeking advice on a coffee grinder for my then 15 year old, who'd just been diagnosed with severe and permanent sight loss. A diagnosis that resulted in some truly discriminatory experiences, and at such a young age, he'd struggled with it. An Italian holiday revealed some pretty in depth espresso expertise, and I figured that if his interest was supported, we might slowly rebuild his confidence. Twitter led me to Max at Colonna, who was happy to offer Barista training before we set him up at home.

And then I discovered how utterly baffling and boring reading pages and pages of information about burrs could be. So instead, I registered on this forum for anyone to tell me what I needed to buy, mindful that as a single mum of 4 boys - budget was limited.

A long story short - behind the scenes, Glenn, Patrick and CoffeeChap kickstarted a collection-  in the hope that enough money would be raised for a starter grinder that Dave had offered to restore, deliver and train. The response was immense and one night, just before Christmas - The 'CoffeeChap' turned up with a car full of goodies: Espresso machine, grinder, Tampers, jugs, beans and a whole heap more, all donated by a forum that had worked together to support someone that was having a tough time, that they didn't know. And then, Dave spent 4 hours showing him how to use everything. 

So eventually we got married. It was not a quick journey. Our lives and our experiences were very different, but the over-riding reason that we ended up together, is that anyone who would work with everyone else, to do something that generous, for a teenager he had never met, had a kind heart. That's a pretty good reason to have anyone in your circle.

Whilst his insane knowledge of coffee machine and grinders is impressive, it pretty much bores me rigid. But I have made a lot of friends through this forum, and a fair few that like CoffeeChap, will go out of their way to help other people, for no gain to themselves.

Kindness goes a long way in life. For everyone that was involved in that and continues to support other people - I have nothing but gratitude and admiration.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6
1 hour ago, haventadog said:

Me?  I created the Coffee Forums first Groom.

I joined in 2013, seeking advice on a coffee grinder for my then 15 year old, who'd just been diagnosed with severe and permanent sight loss. A diagnosis that resulted in some truly discriminatory experiences, and at such a young age, he'd struggled with it. An Italian holiday revealed some pretty in depth espresso expertise, and I figured that if his interest was supported, we might slowly rebuild his confidence. Twitter led me to Max at Colonna, who was happy to offer Barista training before we set him up at home.

And then I discovered how utterly baffling and boring reading pages and pages of information about burrs could be. So instead, I registered on this forum for anyone to tell me what I needed to buy, mindful that as a single mum of 4 boys - budget was limited.

A long story short - behind the scenes, Glenn, Patrick and CoffeeChap kickstarted a collection-  in the hope that enough money would be raised for a starter grinder that Dave had offered to restore, deliver and train. The response was immense and one night, just before Christmas - The 'CoffeeChap' turned up with a car full of goodies: Espresso machine, grinder, Tampers, jugs, beans and a whole heap more, all donated by a forum that had worked together to support someone that was having a tough time, that they didn't know. And then, Dave spent 4 hours showing him how to use everything. 

So eventually we got married. It was not a quick journey. Our lives and our experiences were very different, but the over-riding reason that we ended up together, is that anyone who would work with everyone else, to do something that generous, for a teenager he had never met, had a kind heart. That's a pretty good reason to have anyone in your circle.

Whilst his insane knowledge of coffee machine and grinders is impressive, it pretty much bores me rigid. But I have made a lot of friends through this forum, and a fair few that like CoffeeChap, will go out of their way to help other people, for no gain to themselves.

Kindness goes a long way in life. For everyone that was involved in that and continues to support other people - I have nothing but gratitude and admiration.

What a heart warming story. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, haventadog said:

Remember chatting with Glenn to see if he would support a kickstarter - forum hadn't done anything like that before and, at first, although we wanted to do something, we weren't sure how it would go down on the forum. Expectations were modest but the response was overwhelming and heartwarming. The way forum members went out of their way to help and support was incredible. Coffeechap's typical energy and enthusiasm brought it all together. The only downside was inflicting Coffeechap on someone with whom he hit it off and, like all good fairy tales, had a magical ending when they got married. Sorry for that Haventadog🤣

• Like 5

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Wow - now that's a story. This is a great thread!

I was toying with the idea of getting myself a coffee set-up as a 40th present and after having too many sub-standard cafe coffees. I was put onto the forum from a house music forum I've been following through various incarnations for many years now.

Having no experience in making anything other than instant and the very occasional French press coffee, there was a huge learning curve ahead of me. From reading lots of very informative posts on this forum I settled on getting a Bambino Plus (for £229 in June) with a Smart Grinder Pro as my first set up. 

I know Sage can be a bit of a dirty word on here, but I'm really enjoying my journey. A Niche will probably be my first upgrade when the time eventually comes.

Loving trying new coffee and the process of making it every day. It's really made working from home for the last 4 months a lot more bearable.

This is a really informative place with a huge knowledge base and very helpful members who really take interest in people's problems and struggles offering advice and support. I'd never have tried so many fantastic beans if it wasn't for here. 

• Like 2
Remember chatting with Glenn to see if he would support a kickstarter - forum hadn't done anything like that before and, at first, although we wanted to do something, we weren't sure how it would go down on the forum. Expectations were modest but the response was overwhelming and heartwarming. The way forum members went out of their way to help and support was incredible. Coffeechap's typical energy and enthusiasm brought it all together. The only downside was inflicting Coffeechap on someone with whom he hit it off and, like all good fairy tales, had a magical ending when they got married. Sorry for that Haventadog

Ahh happy days. I had completely forgotten about this. A great example of the helpfulness and generosity of the good folk on here (Cilla Black would be proud too)!

I joined in Jan 2013 after sending back a faulty Gaggia Cubika. I found a thread on here for sourcing a Gaggia Classic via Amazon warehouse returns. It was a rabbit hole I never returned from.

Really enjoyed the forum meet ups at Bella Barista, Rave, Birmingham coffee crawl etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 6

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Bella Barista day in 2013 was my first forum get together - great meeting fellow members. Four of us went down from Lancashire to Bella Barista with me driving - Boots, CharlieJ and Oopnorth. My son was, coincidentally, at a wedding not far from BB and rang me to say he'd seen me drive past the church. I had no idea where the wedding was taking place.

For those who don't know - Charlie was a real character - understatement. Coffeechap had suggested going for a pub meal after the event so there were about eight of us including JD @coffeechap??  Charlie was low on social skills and had a habit of talking over people. During the meal, everyone was getting more and more irritated with him until Coffeechap fixed a death stare on him and, in no uncertain terms, told him to shut the f**k up - it was priceless and did the trick. On the drive back, Charlie resumed his endless chatter - remember looking a the odometer and thinking we've got three more hours of this. Contemplated leaving the car in cruise control and quietly bailing out. 

Charlie eventually got himself banned for messing up a group buy.  He was a very naughty boy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Along the way I've enjoyed tinkering with the classic and fitting a PID and then had quite a few problems with my Andreja Premium. The likes of Dave and El Carillio were a godsend in helping me strip the whole thing down and fix it.......I got so much pleasure out of that and love fixing things.

It was the same Andreja Premium that I had. Frank (El Carajillo) also very kindly help me bring it back from the dead.
Daren picked the machine up for me and dropped it off to me whilst en route to a family camping holiday. I’m sure he had it on his lap for 3 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

11 minutes ago, The Systemic Kid said:

everyone was getting more and more irritated with him until Coffeechap fixed a death stare on him and, in no uncertain terms, told him to shut the f**k up - it was priceless and did the trick.

Happy to hire him out. 😂. It’s a useful

skill. 

• Like 3

Charlie eventually got himself banned for messing up a group buy.  He was a very naughty boy.

Yes, I was one of his 'victims' over the brass dispersion block for the Classic. A trivial sum but not a great start. However, testament to Glenn, he sorted everyone out, and I'd long forgotten this until now!

___
Eat, drink and be merry.
Rocket R58, Ceado E37S, Aeropress, Aergrind, Torr Goldfinger flat and convex.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Ah charlie , remember him calling me a book burning nazi when I was a mod ....

Those were the days

The

Then we when we went out ...anyway.

@urbanbumpkinthe one that got away, how ,in did the restraining order last ?

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 5

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

For the old school crew 

think this was the first time foundry brought the emergency coffee : )

@Thecatlinux @coffeechap @The Systemic Kid @Callum_T @drude @ronsil @foundrycoffeeroasters.com  

and all the others who were there .

• Like 6

Instagram - rjw_inc

16 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Ah charlie , remember him calling me a book burning nazi when I was a mod ....

Those were the days

Charlie wasn't backward in sharing what he thought of people.

That Felgrind had been blagged by him from Peter for testing. Was it passed round for others to test?

Edited by The Systemic Kid

21 minutes ago, The Systemic Kid said:

Brilliant Boots. Have you still got the Manc one? Recall it has the legendary busker Hoochie Coochie Mancunian.

Yes @jeebsy had come from Scotland for the meet in Birmingham .

of course the tale of the blue coat at the Birmingham after will remain forever unsolved.

yes you are at the end of this one .

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 4

Instagram - rjw_inc

8 minutes ago, The Systemic Kid said:

Charlie wasn't backward in sharing what he thought of people.

That Felgrind had been blagged by him from Peter for testing. Was it passed round for others to test?

Was it bollocks . 

• Like 2

Instagram - rjw_inc

You see there was a time when we genuinely fad fun, the events were great, Took a lot of organising and time but really interesting to meet the people behind the keyboards. Such a great bunch of old timers.

• Like 9

Love life, love my wife, I’m a great guy!

1 hour ago, Mrboots2u said:

And this is where we cupped the very first samples of Rocky Mountain to hit the foundry roasters .

Yep. Someone nailed it through Chemex as I recall - pure strawberries and cream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrboots2u said:

yes you are at the end of this one .

Me and the band had high hopes - sadly, deviation into another place killed those dreams. Am much better now. Well, think I am.

Edited by The Systemic Kid