Crazy days on here recently 

I’m sorry to see what has happened - i also like to think no one set out to hurt or offend anyone when they joined a forum about coffee - the whole world is messed up now. 

Most importantly!!!  i still choose to be here as do many others so there comes a time when we must move forward. 

I joined roughly 6 years ago (cba to check exactly when) - i joined because my Tassimo wasnt working properly 🤣 and wanted help!!! best advice i got was to bin it!!! And i was pointed towards a classic and grinder set up - i love looking at the what has the postie brought me, and free pour friday and seeing everyones set ups! Ive even met with forum members local to me and had coffee! 

So..... i’m keen to know when & why people joined, and whats the best advice or something positive you get from this place??? 

(no comments on recent events lets try to move on and focus on why we are all here - ultimately to receive & give information on coffee and/or build a community around coffee)

❤️

• Like 11

Lelit MaraX, Eureka Mignon Facile  

Follow me on instagram @ roast_2_roast

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me?  I created the Coffee Forums first Groom. I joined in 2013, seeking advice on a coffee grinder for my then 15 year old, who'd just been diagnosed with severe and permanent sight loss. A diagn

Crazy days on here recently  I’m sorry to see what has happened - i also like to think no one set out to hurt or offend anyone when they joined a forum about coffee - the whole world is messed up n

You see there was a time when we genuinely fad fun, the events were great, Took a lot of organising and time but really interesting to meet the people behind the keyboards. Such a great bunch of old t

Posted Images

I can't really remember why I joined tbh. I had a crappy delonghi machine and fancied an upgrade and I think I stumbled across here to find advice.

I've not been mega active but the biggest thing for me has been the opportunity to purchase both a used classic, then a used Mignon, then a used Andreja Premium and finally a Niche Zero. Along the way I've enjoyed tinkering with the classic and fitting a PID and then had quite a few problems with my Andreja Premium. The likes of Dave and El Carillio were a godsend in helping me strip the whole thing down and fix it.......I got so much pleasure out of that and love fixing things.

I joined a coffee tour of my favourite city of Manchester a few years ago and met quite a few of the crowd.

The forum is a nice escape from life for me.

• Like 6

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

I loved you before that post @Burnzy, you know that mate ❤️ love to see some positivity.

My journey is probably different than your average because I haven't gone down the espresso rabbit hole (yet....). 

I've had good technical help from Mark (who's initials I can't remember half the time so haven't tagged him). Some good general advice from many people. Help, advice and reviews in establishing my set up (which is why I joined). I probably spend more time than most on the 'beans' sub as I'm still in the process of trying different roasters and appreciate feedback of others. 

I've met some really good people on here. I've even found common ground and mutual respect for one or two that seemed unlikely a while ago....you know who you are ❤️

There's lots to be positive about on here and 99% of the time it IS friendly and a good place to be. So thanks to all those that are pleasant, respectful and that have helped me on my journey. 

Edit: and a cheeky like from @Darenreminded me about the brilliance of LSOL! How could I forget. Another part of the forum to be thankful for. 

Edited by Rapid
  • Like 7
Just now, Rapid said:

I loved you before that post @Burnzy, you know that mate ❤️ love to see some positivity.

My journey is probably different than your average because I haven't gone down the espresso rabbit hole (yet....). 

I've had good technical help from Mark (who's initials I can't remember half the time so haven't tagged him). Some good general advice from many people. Help, advice and reviews in establishing my set up (which is why I joined). I probably spend more time than most on the 'beans' sub as I'm still in the process of trying different roasters and appreciate feedback of others. 

I've met some really good people on here. I've even found common ground and mutual respect for one or two that seemed unlikely a while ago....you know who you are ❤️

There's lots to be positive about on here and 99% of the time it IS friendly and a good place to be. So thanks to all those that are pleasant, respectful and that have helped me on my journey. 

Yes!! @Rapid 💪🏼Bang on!! 

• Like 2

Lelit MaraX, Eureka Mignon Facile  

Follow me on instagram @ roast_2_roast

I can't remember. 

I had a Pavoni at the time and I think an Iberital MC2 or had just upgraded to a Mignon after reading Dave's review via BB. 

Early on I've received advice on here about what to look for in machines helping me avoid an expensive upgrade path and find bargains. I bought my big flat commercial grinder on here from somebody in Italy. It looked barely used. I think the reason I joined was the sale section.

I heard about so much stuff I would otherwise have been in the dark to. There was a lot of old information out there in the wild (e.g. "convex tampers are superior", "dose to fill the basket and swipe off excess", and "stop the shot when you see blonding") that I thankfully moved past after reading around this forum. My coffee rapidly improved and I learned a lot about roasting too, which is a whole different chapter.

Thanks to the wealth of knowledgeable members this forum has had through the years I can honestly say my life has changed. I doubt I would be in the same position now if I hadn't found this place. Some of those members are still here, some aren't. A lot of people helped me when I joined and I like to think I've done my bit to help people at the start of their journey too, however far they want to take it.

• Like 5

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

Stumbled across the forum via Google like most, I guess - almost eight years now. Thought my Classic Dualit grinder combo was pretty cool until I started browsing which brought on a dose of the dreaded upgradeitis. Struck by the welcoming vibe and fellow members being generous with help and advice. 

Edited by The Systemic Kid
  • Like 5

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

I'd been on holiday in Italy and felt inspired to dig out my old Krups espresso machine. Plugged it in and it promptly tripped the breakers.
Bought a DeLongi in the January sales and my other half liked the results. I wasn't so sure and googled. Found the forum and a panoply of good advice and help.
Upgradeitis rapidly set in until the present set up. I've got the itch again and I'm still consulting the forum.

• Like 2

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

9 years ago, three days before the birth of my son. I'd just bought an Expobar Leva with the money saved by only taking one week paternity leave instead of two. 

I'd had a hunt around and found a supplier literally on my doorstep...well, 5 miles away. Phoned him up and did the deal. Went to pick it up from his roastery a while later. Was a tiny cotswold stone outhouse at the back of an old vicarage in a tiny village. 

Met the roaster, Rob, and got mashed on caffeine. I think he was already high before I got there.

9 years later, he has a successful business, a large roastery. Yes, it was a nascent Rave coffee.

Edited by Spazbarista
  • Like 5

I don't know how long ago – before the Londinium was launched, anyway – I ran into Reiss at a pop-up coffee bar he had supplied with a Bosco two-lever machine. At the time, I was still using my 1999 La Pavoni Europiccola, but I had begun being beans from Reiss's Londinium roastery. Reiss praised Coffee Forums to me and suggested I join. So I did.

• Like 4

Londinium 1, Monolith Flat, Pharos, Lido 3, Chemex, V60, Ikawa Home Roaster, Atago Barista

2 hours ago, Spazbarista said:

Met the roaster, Rob, and got mashed on caffeine. I think he was already high before I got there.

9 years later, he has a successful business, a large roastery and yes, it was a nascent Rave coffee.

Very interesting post, I didn't know how Rave had started. Did Rob get you more into coffee.

Edited by Rob666
To match with edited original post.

I didn't remember, but checked my activity and it's all there: I joined in 2012 to ask for advice on a grinder for my V1 Silvia and on how to turn in on from bed. Members suggested Iberital MC2 (which is what I got and used until recently). Never got round to putting the Silvia on remote control though, but recently got a smart socket for Mara X and I love it. Some things happen instantly, other take 8 years to materialise. This forum is great! 🙂

• Like 4

I went on holiday to Blaenau Ffestiniog with my friend’s family and he brought his Rancilio Silvia and grinder with him. When we came back, I bought a Gaggia Classic, and an Eureka Mignon a few months later.

Then, upgraditus kicked in.... and I bought a Rocket Cellini Evo after 3 years, around 2015. I joined this forum after researching, and found a video linked here which had a similar issue to my brand new machine. After a few replies, I got hooked in and the rest is history!  

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 5

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Just now, DavecUK said:

Very interesting post, I didn't know how Rave had started. Did Rob get you more into coffee.

Yes and no.

At that point I'd been drinking decent pourover coffee for the best part of 30 years, espresso for 20. I'd been roasting my own for about 10 years (Soll, of this forum, has my old Hottop). I had a PID'd Silvia, but fancied something a bit easier to live with. 

I liked Rob's coffee and was in and out of the roastery pretty regularly.  He was super enthusiastic about coffee but, as a start up, was limited in what he could stock (ie DJWakefield rather than Mercanta).

A couple of years later I rocked up to his with a kilo of an experimental blend that I'd scarfed from a barista day at Extract, it was Harrar and some Central bean, but bloody amazing. He loved it and we mixed some up there and then. This became his Fudge blend.  I see he still sells a Fudge blend, but I dont know what is in it because Harrar doesnt seem to exist any more.

I was quite interested in blending at the time and he let me have pretty much what I wanted, but try as I might I never came up with anything that was any better than his blends. 

He still had his Toper roaster and it suited my palate more than all the lighter roasts that were becoming de rigueur at the time, so I remained a customer. Eventually, he bought a Lohring roaster and I found that it just didnt do it for me. I found the coffees a little hollow tasting, and I'd quite often end up binning them and inevitably I drifted away.

I must pop in there at some point. Havent seen him for a few years.

• Like 4

What I forgot to say was that in many respects my coffee drinking is far narrower having fully gone down the espresso rabbit hole.

I used to drink coffees from all over the world, sometimes bringing them back myself from plantations I'd been to. Now I just knock out flat whites with a very narrow spectrum of flavours.

Well now ... i have no idea what's going on here and have obviously missed an 'event' shall we say.

No doubt it'll all be come a bit clearer as i move around the forum and play catchup with all of the posts i really have little interest in atm, too busy trying to get a decent shot out of my Marax four weeks down the line!

Anyways ... joined a few years back primarily to mooch around the Sage forum and tbh i soon became excited at what i had in front of me, dont all laugh  ... a Sage Barista Express ... yawnnn i hear everyone saying.

Took that as far as i could really be bothered to do as it reached its 3yr anniversary and decided to jump in with the big boys, and i'm finding it to be quite a different learning curve which i will no doubt see off with 'only' another few kilos of beans!

The diminutive Marax just isnt playing the game which is no doubt down to my lack of skills, lets just leave it at that.

There you go ... i'm here , and i intend to hang around a while longer, if only to find out what it is i've been missing recently, this place is a minefield of discontent it seems ;>)

• Like 2

Great thread!
I have always been a coffee drinker but had no idea. I was just past the 'pre ground and cafetiere' stage and had bought a Delonghi Crappuccinatore EC-randomnumber. In 2013 I was contracting on a government IT project and quite happy with the team cafetiere swindle, when I found one of the guys ( @Neil297 ) making an aeropress. I'd never seen a "coffee syringe" before and was fascinated. He told me if I wanted to up my coffee game to check out this forum. I quickly got shot of the delonghi and blade grinder in favour of an Iberital MC2 from Happy Donkey and heavily modded Gaggia Classic from a member called Duracell. That was the start of buying decent beans, and Rave was my go to roaster (at a time when seemingly it was heresy not to buy Hasbean) and I joined DSOL. Got the bug for trying different coffees instead of sticking with Rave all the time, although I still rate them and have their 80h experimental Colombian in the hopper right now.

When a Mazzer that Coffeechap had refurbished came up, I grabbed it. That enabled me to start making a decent fist of lighter roasts (of which I wasn't immediately a fan but wouldn't go back now).

Then I popped round to Dave C's to try some of his roasts, and see the Eureka 65E in action. We spent ages discussing coffee and trying some from his machine. Can't remember what that was, maybe prototype Vesuvius? Or maybe Duetto? But thre upshot was I had a chance to get the 65E and some time later, the machine of my dreams at the time, the R58. Machine upgraditis ended there, despite me knowing in full that in Dave's opinion there were things that could've been improved in its internal design, and I have it to this day. My Classic went to Glenn.

Also met a few members outside of formal forum events, such as a cupping session round at Joe Larkin's with Medium roast steam, where we tried out maybe 5 good coffees under a cupping protocol.

I've received so much great advice, met lots of great folks at Coffeechap's Rave days, and had lots of fun over the years thanks to the positive aspects of the forum, and people giving gladly of their time and expertise. I've stopped (largely) worrying about kit and concentrate now just on trying out the coffees. I probably ought to try learning more and improving my technique etc, but I'm kind of comfortable in my coffee zone now, and stay for the interest, the fun, the knowledge and LSOL.

___
Eat, drink and be merry.
Rocket R58, Ceado E37S, Aeropress, Aergrind, Torr Goldfinger flat and convex.

• Like 6

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Dec 1 2013 - So a while ago... Odd really, if you'd asked I'd have said maybe 3-4 years....

I was looking for advice on grinders...... I think.....

There were some fun characters and some good advice along with a nice vibe...

I think I was working near Brum and arranged a meet with Spence (Xpense??? not been that active for a while... I miss Spence)... never been on a forum day but bumped into a few "old lags" over the years (I move around the country for work quite often)... most of them called Dave...

If I'm honest I get more from the "Off Topic" than strictly "On Topic Coffee".... but I do exploit the depth of knowledge when I get bouts of upgradeitis.......

I used to really enjoy the Raffles (Toffeechips) and the seemingly genuine "warm feeling"........

I don't know what I'd do without LSOL...... 

• Like 8

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

Dec 1 2013 - So a while ago... Spence (Xpense???

I don't know what I'd do without LSOL...... 

Quite a few of us from 2013

Spencer's handle was 'Xpenno', he was the first person I've ever seen to *really* get into the intricacies of water for coffee.

LSOL rules!

___

Eat, drink and be merry.

Rocket R58, Ceado E37S, Aeropress, Aergrind, Torr Goldfinger flat and convex.

• Like 2

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Not as much as Spukey did
Spukey likes a raffle
  • Like 4

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Nice thread.

Never drank coffee at all outside of a good restaurant after a meal, that was until Waitrose started doing it for free. Enjoyed that for a good many years before half thinking about 'getting into coffee'. Wasn't sure I cared enough to make it a hobby (which is kind of is really when you start) so after some research I got a Sage BE on Black Friday for £375. Seemed not too much to risk if I didn't get the coffee bug.

Found the forum through Google I guess about a year ago. Took 2-3 months and a some patient advice on the Sage forum (props to @TomHughes and a few others) to start getting consistently good drinks but after that really enjoyed it. Now I buy from a different roasters every two weeks to find out what/who I like.

After loads of good advice on getting a good drink, now I like advice on beans (of course!) but also ethical roasters, environmental credentials, who uses what packaging, nitro bagging stuff like that. A positive for me is passing on the advice I got and things I've learned. Sage people are often brand new to coffee, it's a starter machine, I know what it's like to think 'wtf?'. I like to pay back by giving back if I can.  

• Like 3

Sage Barista Express.