Finding this is very forgiving with shots. While there are differences between, say, a 34g extraction and a 45g extraction, it's not like one is a horrible sour underextracted mess and the other is good, or one is horribly bitter and the other is fine. They're actually both delish, and I've only had one sink shot so far (machine choked due to too fine grind). I've had about 25 shots in total since arrival (tiramisu required many of those!). Here is a typical shot - preinfusion, then 8 bar, declining to 40g in the cup from a 17g dose. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got my robot a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I have to agree with Matted: turning the robot round so the gauge is pointing backwards and standing over it is the way to go for me - m

Ordered a red Robot 🙂 now for the 3 to 4 week wait...

Still in the honeymoon period with this.  Tried the rocko mountain natural process this morning from coffee compass. First attempt, at 1.4 turns (same as mystery 13) and it choked completely - wh

Posted Images

I got my robot a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I have to agree with Matted: turning the robot round so the gauge is pointing backwards and standing over it is the way to go for me - much easier to press down and control pressure. It's still easy to see the gauge.

Also if you're experimenting with pre-heating the piston: I found that those little plastic chutney tubs you sometimes get with an indian takeaway are the perfect size.

Come to think of it, I think they might be the same tubs you get for ketchup in five-guys.

preheat-piston.jpg

Edited by PhilDawes
fiddling with the image
  • Like 3

I tried preheating today, but it made for a more bitter shot, so I can only assume my extraction was okay and the preheat pushed it up a bit - or my prep was a bit off, which is perhaps equally as likely. 

If it ain't broke, I won't fix it. I'm going for sweeter, darker roasts on this and saving the singly origin yirgs for filter. 

• Like 1

Agree on the ease of using and getting decent shots on the robot. Apart from putting in a touch too much water into the PF, I haven't had a bad shot at all

On preheating, have been with the PF. For all shots, just part of workflow and easy to do.

For the piston only done it once, using some of the kids sippee cups which fit nicely. Good tip for other plastics @PhilDawes

Preheating differences seem to be debatable. Some helpful folk on home barista doing some measurements.

Also Paul Pratt shared some helpful videos

IMG_20201115_194301.jpg

Edited by matted
So tags work

feld2 with v60, aeropress, chemex.  aergrind and retro green cafelat robot barista. gone: borked sage DTP

I am currently drinking the coffee compass sweet bourbon blend and found a preheat is not needed and is a detriment to the taste. I'm going 18g in, 40g out for this one, 17g in to 40g out definitely was a bit less sweet. 

• Thanks 1

Same here really. I am only preheating the basket / portafilter. Not the piston. I don’t think I would particularly notice.

enjoying James Gourmet formula 6 which is funking mental strong and smooth. 

Still not had a bad shot. 🙂

• Like 1

feld2 with v60, aeropress, chemex.  aergrind and retro green cafelat robot barista. gone: borked sage DTP

35 minutes ago, matted said:

Same here really. I am only preheating the basket / portafilter. Not the piston. I don’t think I would particularly notice.

enjoying James Gourmet formula 6 which is funking mental strong and smooth. 

Still not had a bad shot. 🙂

James gourmet is next on my list to try - I have a couple of months worth of coffee compass in at the moment, but good to hear a good review! 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, MinesAbeer said:

One man's view... May or may not be of interest https://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji2369.png

I found this vid interesting, I assume he's using a light filter roast as he mentions the need to preheat a fair bit, as well as other issues. 

I don't think I've encountered the puck "floating" and massive channeling when doing low pressure preinfusion - I get good texture and definitely not weak/thin shots so I wonder whether he was properly using the shower screen, or perhaps he was releasing pressure in preinfusion - I don't doubt he encountered an issue though. 

He, like James Hoffman, also seems to be happy with an air barrier and measuring water in to get target out - I always fill with water with just 5mm or so of space at the top, and stop the shot at target weight. This also presumably helps with temperature as more water should mean more thermal mass. I actually wonder if this might cause issues with the puck rising up... 

Interesting vid, thanks. Like you I don't get the issues he talks about with slow pre-infusion. I fill the portafilter to about 1cm from the top and ramp up pressure. I don't have the barista version so I'm doing it by feel but shots aren't watery or thin. I tried pressing down hard immediately when I first had the robot, but prefer the slow ramp up method. I'll probably give his method another go to compare now I've had the robot for a few weeks. I'm liking the coffee from it and the workflow is simple since I don't preheat.

Does anyone know if the barista gauge can be added retrospectively? The wife wants to get me one for xmas and the shop in France that has been linked a few times on here only has the standard version in stock.

In a similar vein, do you find the gauge helps with your shot extraction?

2015: Gaggia classic (rancillio steam wand, opv mod, unpressurised basket, brass shower plate, ims shower screen) - Mazzer Super Jolly

2020:  v60 - 1zpresso jx-pro - Aeropress

I don't have the barista version, so can't help with how easy it is to use. You can get a good feel for what pressure you're applying by using bathroom scales under the robot, Cafelat provide a table to convert what you see on the scale into pressure in bars. I did it once then just used the robot by feel after that, works well, and I think the robot looks better without the gauge (cheaper too)

On 26/11/2020 at 08:36, colm1989 said:

Does anyone know if the barista gauge can be added retrospectively? The wife wants to get me one for xmas and the shop in France that has been linked a few times on here only has the standard version in stock.

In a similar vein, do you find the gauge helps with your shot extraction?

It can be, the cafelat website sells them. 

I love having it, but I don't think it's needed. You'll soon get a good feel of what makes good espresso and what doesn't. 

That said, I'd not be without, I love knowing if I've extracted at 8 bars or 5 bars. It's the inner child who likes playing with toys.