IGNORED

Compass Mystery Mk13

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, 8 days post roast I opened mine today. Smells totally different than mystery 12. Slight cacao then slight spice a bit of barley.( I assume) I might do a cupping later on.  Take these w

Detailed tasting notes and bean origins etc. beyond my interest/ability as a coffee-drinker except to say that I like this one much better than 12.  The last few mystery blends have been pretty meh to

I ordered today. Will let you know how it is in about two weeks ☺️

Posted Images

23 hours ago, tripleshot said:

To those who are mystery regulars, are these more likely to be darker roasts than lighter roasts? Or more medium?

This is the key really. I completely understand why it's a 100% mystery but just a hint on the roast level wouldn't be giving anything away. 

If anyone tries it, I for one would be really grateful on your feedback, particularly which brew methods worked. 

• Like 1

@Rapid - I’ve had the mystery ones since 9 if I remember correctly, they have all been medium by CC standards so a little bit darker than regular 3rd wave coffee but not to a “mahogany” level like they do with the others. They have been darker than I like for V60 but great as espresso or with milk.

They must shift a lot of it, I would be very surprised if the roast level ever went really light/dark or it was a super juice bomb, since it seems like it is intended as a crowd pleaser at a very good price. 

• Like 1
On 05/10/2020 at 15:25, Northern_Monkey said:

@Rapid - I’ve had the mystery ones since 9 if I remember correctly, they have all been medium by CC standards so a little bit darker than regular 3rd wave coffee but not to a “mahogany” level like they do with the others. They have been darker than I like for V60 but great as espresso or with milk.

They must shift a lot of it, I would be very surprised if the roast level ever went really light/dark or it was a super juice bomb, since it seems like it is intended as a crowd pleaser at a very good price. 

Thanks for that buddy. I guess it makes sense for it to be an omni. 

I didn't realise they roast everything dark? or at least darker than the average. I quite enjoy a low acidity medium to be honest, just as much as a good old fruit bomb! 

Let me know what you think if you go for this one. I've just stocked up on craft house in addition to LSOL hopefully arriving tomorrow so it will be a while before my next order. 

@Rapid - They do some lighter single origins, but typically their style is medium+ in my view but everyone’s scale is different. Nice coffee though and they seem a friendly bunch.

I do really like their Brighton Lanes (Medium traditional) or Cherry Cherry (not super light), but some of their other stuff is darker than I prefer. They do the broadest range of darker style roasts out of the UK online roasters/retailers I’ve seen, including mahogany versions and a super dark Ethiopian Wild Highland that was a bit “challenging” shall we say and not to my taste 😅

https://www.coffeecompass.co.uk/collections/africa/products/extra-dark-wild-ethiopian-highland-500g

Edited by Northern_Monkey
  • Like 1

Well, 8 days post roast I opened mine today.

Smells totally different than mystery 12. Slight cacao then slight spice a bit of barley.( I assume) I might do a cupping later on. 

Take these with a pinch of salt tho 🤣

I think it still needs resting as stream coming from naked portafilter is 'dancing' ( if you know what I mean) :)

for now it is acidic but slightly, there is no dominant tasting notes I can pick. Last two weeks I have been enjoying mahogany roast Brazilian blend from them I don't think I will ever like any other beans lol. They are ace. 

Took a picture for comparison. 

Mystery beans on top, mahogany roast Brazilian blend at the bottom.

IMG_20201015_104210.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, steffanjtaylor said:

These beans are a wild ride- I would guess a medium roast; a nice amount of acidity upfront, sweet peachy high notes, smoky undertones and a pleasing malty aftertaste.

Thanks for that. What methods did you use?

I opened mine today so only 5 days past roast... Think it needs a few more as it's still on the acidic side, but it wasn't unpleasant.
Deffo more fruity than the 12, quite sweet caramel notes. Should be really nice with a bit more rest

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Detailed tasting notes and bean origins etc. beyond my interest/ability as a coffee-drinker except to say that I like this one much better than 12.  The last few mystery blends have been pretty meh to my tastes.  I think I generally prefer central/South American beans and this one tastes fairly chocolatey to me, not very fruity (unlike others above).  I've been using it in cappuccinos and espressos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, mschole said:

Detailed tasting notes and bean origins etc. beyond my interest/ability as a coffee-drinker except to say that I like this one much better than 12.  The last few mystery blends have been pretty meh to my tastes.  I think I generally prefer central/South American beans and this one tastes fairly chocolatey to me, not very fruity (unlike others above).  I've been using it in cappuccinos and espressos. 

That sounds great to me. Thanks for the info

3 hours ago, jj-x-ray said:

I opened mine today so only 5 days past roast... Think it needs a few more as it's still on the acidic side, but it wasn't unpleasant.
Deffo more fruity than the 12, quite sweet caramel notes. Should be really nice with a bit more rest

thanks also! 

Almost posted in this thread last night but couldnt get my words out. Only 4/5 days past roast so but out of beans at the moment. Last night had a fast pull at 23 seconds but still nice. Nice sweet pleasant aftertaste than I couldn't quick put my finger on despite making the 41g out last 5 sips. Went finer today for a 30/31 second pull but it was mostly bland and bitter so I'm going back towards the coarser grind. 

Any takers on what that after taste is?

Just goes to show how different everyone's taste buds can be. It always makes it difficult to recommend a bean that you like.
Definitely not getting choc notes off this yet but may do when it calms down a bit.
I loved the mk12 especially the second version of it and I considered that to be a huge choco blend.....
Either way this is looking promising

Tasted this morning in cafetiere, three days post roast. 

Pretty dark roast by my standards. Smells very nice when brewing, slightly boozy? I don't taste booze notes in a cafetiere though. Maybe too fresh, or maybe wrong method of extraction. 

Lots of chocolate to my taste buds. A really nice coffee, looking forward to it opening up. 

On Sunday, I'm doing a mini home cupping - three CC coffees - rocko mountain, washed Ethiopian and mystery 13. Will post thoughts here :) hoping that's long enough resting time. Should be. 

• Thanks 1