How to do two espressos?

(I use a GC with a std 14g basket. )

I drink americano's, and the better half drinks Latte's. 

On a morning, i do two espressos from the GC, One for each drink.

I believe i need to use a seperate double shot for these (14g), certainly, using a low dose or if the shot falls over, it results in weak drinks.

So, i do two seperate 14g shots.

I have removed the double spout on the portafilter as i do not use two cups for the above because, as mentioned, the coffee will be too weak.

Having seen the missing spout, my better half asked why i don't use it to make two drinks in one go and as noted, i replied it would be too weak.

The response was obviously "why not just use a bigger dose?"

So, i can get a 21g basket for the GC, but would this really facilitate two coffees at once? i have doubt.

So what should i be doing? Continue doing two shots or will a 21g basket really work if i use the splitter spout?

Answers on a postcard...

Edited by Blue_Cafe

Why don't you try it and find out? I believe you can get a 25g VST precision basket for a triple shot. Splitting this between two would be effectively 1.5 shots each. Not too far away from the 2 shots req'd for a flat white, or longer latte's. Just reduce milk a bit if you are that way inclined.

EDIT To add: Just realised this is asking about spouted portafilters not bottomless, so I'm not sure that it will fit unless you change portafilter too

Edited by Cooffe
52 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Why don't you try it and find out? I believe you can get a 25g VST precision basket for a triple shot. Splitting this between two would be effectively 1.5 shots each. Not too far away from the 2 shots req'd for a flat white, or longer latte's. Just reduce milk a bit if you are that way inclined.

EDIT To add: Just realised this is asking about spouted portafilters not bottomless, so I'm not sure that it will fit unless you change portafilter too

You make a good point about depth. I hadn't thought about that.

What's the largest basket that fits in the STD portafilter?

You can get very large capacity baskets but some will not fit in the portafilter with spouts. They are great for bottomless portafilters but that obviously wont be ideal for two drinks at once.

Personally I would just make 2 double one after the other.

David

Edited by BlackCatCoffee

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Bezzera machines back in stock!

I'd follow suit (and did when I had my Barista Express), and make 2 shots back to back. Important to note that as it's a single boiler, it'd be suggested to make both shots of espresso first before steaming any milk.

On 02/10/2020 at 13:40, BlackCatCoffee said:

You can get very large capacity baskets but some will not fit in the portafilter with spouts. They are great for bottomless portafilters but that obviously wont be ideal for two drinks at once.

Personally I would just make 2 double one after the other.

David

If drinking lattes how would you steam the milk for two?

Shots, back to back followed by two milks , shots back to back followed by one steaming of two x milk ie 20oz in a 32oz pitcher or shot/milk/shot milk which

is the method which causes me an issue. It's a timing thing ....

2 minutes ago, skylark said:

If drinking lattes how would you steam the milk for two?

Shots, back to back followed by two milks , shots back to back followed by one steaming of two x milk ie 20oz in a 32oz pitcher or shot/milk/shot milk which

is the method which causes me an issue. It's a timing thing ....

On a single boiler I would probably go milk then shots as it is easier and faster to cool the boiler down than wait for it to heat if that makes sense. I can understand doing it the other way around though. Either way I would steam all the milk in one go.

On an HX/DB you can get your first shot on the go and steam milk for both whilst it is extracting then do your second shot. You can work the milk in the jug with a little tapping on the bench and some swirling to keep the nice texture while you second shot finishes.

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Bezzera machines back in stock!

On the Gaggia a Classic @Blue_Cafe - I’d do either two espressi one after the other, and then handle the milk (or handle the milk first as per @BlackCatCoffee’s advice.

on the MaraX @skylark - just make a coffee and steam milk during or afterwards and repeat the process for the next shot. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group