IGNORED

Using filter roast for espresso?

I like espresso and although I mainly make flat whites I usually sip the espresso first and if it's a belter I don't bother with the milk. If you find it too intense, but want to taste it for learning purposes, you can add some hot water like people do with scotch.

To be clear, I meant lighter roasts usually need a tighter grind than the same bean roasted darker; many Ethiopian beans often need to be ground a bit coarser than other origins (such as Uganda) at a similar roast degree, if you follow. And there are exceptions!

3 minutes ago, tripleshot said:

Thank you all, I’ll try these suggestions and report back. @hotmetalthat was going to be my final question as it goes against what I’ve read and been told in that lighter roasts require a finer grind not a coarser grind, which threw me here.

The solubility of coffee varies greatly with its origin, as well as roast level (I don't specifically mean colour, as I have had more under-developed darker roasts than light).

So a light roast, low solubility coffee might need a finer grind, but a more soluble light/med roast might not - at the same brew ratio.

If your method works reasonably, you might only need small changes to keep a whole bunch of coffees extracting properly.

The main reason we grind coarser in percolation (for a given water delivery rate) is to extract properly at a longer brew ratio. We grind finer for shorter brew ratios.

If a coffee/roast level is lower solubility (but developed), then pushing more water through the puck would be a simple way of extracting more, if still concentrated/thick enough to enjoy.

So you have to tie in grind size to brew ratio. Simply making assumptions about light/med/dark & grind doesn't work.

On 24/10/2020 at 18:19, MWJB said:

The solubility of coffee varies greatly with its origin, as well as roast level (I don't specifically mean colour, as I have had more under-developed darker roasts than light).

So a light roast, low solubility coffee might need a finer grind, but a more soluble light/med roast might not - at the same brew ratio.

If your method works reasonably, you might only need small changes to keep a whole bunch of coffees extracting properly.

The main reason we grind coarser in percolation (for a given water delivery rate) is to extract properly at a longer brew ratio. We grind finer for shorter brew ratios.

If a coffee/roast level is lower solubility (but developed), then pushing more water through the puck would be a simple way of extracting more, if still concentrated/thick enough to enjoy.

So you have to tie in grind size to brew ratio. Simply making assumptions about light/med/dark & grind doesn't work.

This is super useful. I had no idea and certainly learned something new.

Finished the coffee and settled on 18g in, 45g out in 50-60s and really enjoyed every cup, so much so that I'm looking for other beans on the market from Chelbesa. I see Foundry have got a new Chelbesa coffee out. The last coffee that I found this memorable was Costa Rica Las Palomas from @Black Cat Coffee.

I'm swimming in coffee at the moment, need to up my intake so I can sample all these lovely offerings out there! Not sure how others feel but for me, coffee is one of the few pleasures to look forward to in this grim Covid winter!

I also learned to relax a little when the extraction doesn't look great or takes too long. Do people get wiser and chilled when it comes to making coffee as they become more experienced?

• Like 1
Square Mile have accidentally sent some filter roast instead of my usual Red Brick, this : https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/chelbesa. I don't own any filter equipment nor do I have the inclination to look into how to make filter coffee (I have no clue nor interest). What can I expect if I try to use it for espresso? How can I make the most of it? Or is it going to end up a waste of coffee and best to gift it to someone who drinks filter?

Thanks

Why don't you just tried it imagining that you didn't know it was for filter? Could be fun smile.png.386586528d215eb32622a010fd075179.png

Sent from my ALP-L09 using Tapatalk

On 27/10/2020 at 19:56, tripleshot said:

!I also learned to relax a little when the extraction doesn't look great or takes too long. Do people get wiser and chilled when it comes to making coffee as they become more experienced?

Yes, and not just with coffee. 

• 1 month later...

I have a filter subscription form Square Mile and I regularly throw some beans in my espresso grinder and make shots on my Rocket and usually pretty good results. 

Just my 2 cents but i still got decent espressos from a filter roast