Jump to content
IGNORED

Hello from Shropshire


hjribeiro
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello All

My name is Helder and I am from near Shropshire, West mids.

I am looking for tips/tricks guides and suggestion on home espresso.

I have been making mostly filter coffee at home, but being in lockdown for months I decided that I've probably saved enough money in espressos to upgrade from my nespresso machine.

Looking forward to chat with the people here!

Helder

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Norvin said:

No, they sound interesting. Don't know many modern bands.

Not sure what you (or they) might mean by modern....

They play live, they write (at least some of) their own music.. (so modern?)
they are folky-rocky inspired.. (so traditional/non-modern)

Well worth looking out for (well when they are able to perform again - they are in somewhat of an hiatus - for obvious reasons)

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

24 minutes ago, Drewster said:

Not sure what you (or they) might mean by modern....

They play live, they write (at least some of) their own music.. (so modern?)
they are folky-rocky inspired.. (so traditional/non-modern)

Well worth looking out for (well when they are able to perform again - they are in somewhat of an hiatus - for obvious reasons)

  

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Home Coffee Tips said:

Welcome, there is a lot of great information on here! If you are looking to upgrade your Nespresso machine there will be lots of posts recommending the best machine to go for. The Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia are highly rated entry level espresso machines to get you started

Those are the ones I'm thinking about, but I have 2 main questions:

Do I want to buy used or new?

And what about a grinder? My Wilfa Svart won't grind fine enough for espresso, and all the grinders I see are more expensive than the machine itself.. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buying used kit that's been well cared for is a good way to minimise loss if and when you decide to upgrade and, trust me, if you stick around this forum - you will. Check out the 'for sales' thread. You need to factor in a decent budget for a grinder - it's as important a purchase as the espresso machine. You won't get the best out of your set up if the grinder is not up to it. Again, 'for sales' section is a great place to source a well cared for grinder.

Classics are plentiful and come up regularly on the forum - Silvia's less so. You may hear comment the Silvia isn't worth the price premium over the Classic. 

If you haven't seen James Hoffman's review of sub £500.00 espresso machines - it's worth a look

 

 

2099893675_Screenshot2021-08-18at10_18_29.png.64d72435dfb5ecf4fe98b7a7a3408e52.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Systemic Kid said:

Buying used kit that's been well cared for is a good way to minimise loss if and when you decide to upgrade and, trust me, if you stick around this forum - you will. Check out the 'for sales' thread. You need to factor in a decent budget for a grinder - it's as important a purchase as the espresso machine. You won't get the best out of your set up if the grinder is not up to it. Again, 'for sales' section is a great place to source a well cared for grinder.

Classics are plentiful and come up regularly on the forum - Silvia's less so. You may hear comment the Silvia isn't worth the price premium over the Classic. 

If you haven't seen James Hoffman's review of sub £500.00 espresso machines - it's worth a look

 


 

 

Actually it was this video that made me want to buy a espresso machine. I had the idea that it would be very difficult to get good espresso at home for under 1000£.

I think a new machine will be easier to fly past my girlfriend, will look neater in the counter, and possibly I could use my wilfa svart with the pressurised filter in the meantime while I wait for a good deal on the grinder...

I think I would rather wait and save for a near endgame grinder though, I thought Niche zero, those guys have massive hype, and it could even replace my wilfa.

Thanks for the tips!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hjribeiro said:

 

Actually it was this video that made me want to buy a espresso machine. I had the idea that it would be very difficult to get good espresso at home for under 1000£.

I think a new machine will be easier to fly past my girlfriend, will look neater in the counter, and possibly I could use my wilfa svart with the pressurised filter in the meantime while I wait for a good deal on the grinder...

I think I would rather wait and save for a near endgame grinder though, I thought Niche zero, those guys have massive hype, and it could even replace my wilfa.

Thanks for the tips!

Once over, a few years ago the go to machine for newcomers into this rabbit hole of a hobby was the Gaggia Classic. The older Ialian made pre-Philips one was regarded as being the better one. Also long before the Niche arrived, the most recommended grinder was either a Mazzer Super Jolly or a Major. Not much difference in height tbh without the hopper (often a short tube was used in place of the hopper) but the Major has a lot bigger burrs. Easy to convert into single dosing as well. Still quite big, and not very kitchen friendly to some and won't fit under kitchen cabinets with the hopper on. 

The Niche is probably the most recommended grinder now, and at it's price point it's pretty much killed off a lot of competition in the home market. It's not built to commercial spec, but it's not aimed at that market. I quite happily use one with my La Pavoni, Moka Pot, V60 etc. and also quite happily use it alongside my Slayer. I wouldn't call it an endgame grinder though, but for many there's no need or urge to spend any more unless you are after something er, I was going to say 'more niche' but that seams a little ironic considering lol. Plus you'd be spending at least double what a Niche costs on a used end-game grinder and maybe 3 to 4 times as much on a new one (thinking of the EK43s or Versalab etc)

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Customised Mazzer Major + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rhys said:

Once over, a few years ago the go to machine for newcomers into this rabbit hole of a hobby was the Gaggia Classic. The older Ialian made pre-Philips one was regarded as being the better one. Also long before the Niche arrived, the most recommended grinder was either a Mazzer Super Jolly or a Major. Not much difference in height tbh without the hopper (often a short tube was used in place of the hopper) but the Major has a lot bigger burrs. Easy to convert into single dosing as well. Still quite big, and not very kitchen friendly to some and won't fit under kitchen cabinets with the hopper on. 

The Niche is probably the most recommended grinder now, and at it's price point it's pretty much killed off a lot of competition in the home market. It's not built to commercial spec, but it's not aimed at that market. I quite happily use one with my La Pavoni, Moka Pot, V60 etc. and also quite happily use it alongside my Slayer. I wouldn't call it an endgame grinder though, but for many there's no need or urge to spend any more unless you are after something er, I was going to say 'more niche' but that seams a little ironic considering lol. Plus you'd be spending at least double what a Niche costs on a used end-game grinder and maybe 3 to 4 times as much on a new one (thinking of the EK43s or Versalab etc)


It's just sad that I didn't buy the niche instead of my wilfa svart. At that time I thought coffee shops would be open soon and more hours, so no need for espresso at home :(

I'll definitely look out for used Mazzer though, I have plenty of space on my counter, so I might be able to disguise it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/09/2020 at 16:00, hjribeiro said:

I'm near Telford in a small village, any other Salopians here?

Yes, near Market Drayton. 

 

I'm probably looking to get rid of my Mazzer (modded for single dose, still have all the original stuff somewhere) for when I purchase a Niche. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...