LSOL October - Steampunk Coffee [North Berwick]

1 hour ago, jaffro said:

Yeah I seem to hover between 9-11 most of the time. I haven't tried these as espresso yet though, just a v60 or 2 because I couldn't resist... got a few other beans to get through first! 

3 hours ago, ratty said:

I seem to grind lower than most too!

9 on the Niche at the moment.

17 hours ago, filthynines said:

I'm always really surprised at the difference between my grind setting and others' on the Niche. I'm grinding down at 7 for espresso!

Interesting. My Niche is 4 days old and is factory calibrated. Classic is set to (roughly) 9-10bars. I do WDT and tamp firmly. Not sure where we differentiate 🤔 When I was eyeballing it with a different bean (similar-ish roast profile) and set it to 10, it completely clogged Gaggia with first drip appearing at around 45s. My basket is a basic plebeian one though. 

Gaggia Classic '96 (OPV mod / Rancilio wand/PID) + Niche Zero

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK Coffeeaficionados, time for a reveal..... We had a couple of correct guesses, one right from the offset. This is the write up from Rachel of SteamPunk Country: Uganda Coffee: Ugan

Hey folks, Rachel, Head Roaster at Steampunk here. It's great to read your comments about the coffee and our packaging! We've worked hard to make our packaging plastic-free, so I'm glad you're ap

Hi all So thanks for getting the payments in, last one was received yesterday evening. Order has gone out, I have spoken with the roastery and they are roasting Friday and posting Monday.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Zeak said:

Interesting. My Niche is 4 days old and is factory calibrated. Classic is set to (roughly) 9-10bars. I do WDT and tamp firmly. Not sure where we differentiate 🤔 When I was eyeballing it with a different bean (similar-ish roast profile) and set it to 10, it completely clogged Gaggia with first drip appearing at around 45s. My basket is a basic plebeian one though. 

I'm usually between about 16-20 on mine for espresso.

The starting point for calibration will depend on how tightly you can wind the burrs in...

I imagine that everyone will tighten it relatively closely but it's always going to vary depending on how strong your wrist is!

I wouldn't worry about it, the numbers are good for personal reference but I don't think they're particularly useful person to person/niche to niche :D

• Like 1

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

2 hours ago, Zeak said:

Yeah when I first got mine I was around 17-20. Think it's just the burrs bedding in!

• Like 1

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

FWIW I had a go at 17 for espresso this morning. 32g out in 17 secs... 

Thus far I'm preferring this as filter. Very fruity, clean V60 this morning.

Decent DE1XL ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

29 minutes ago, filthynines said:

FWIW I had a go at 17 for espresso this morning. 32g out in 17 secs... 

Thus far I'm preferring this as filter. Very fruity, clean V60 this morning.

I'd agree. This morning though I mixed the last 12g of your Brazilian Women's project with 6g of the LSOL. It came out a bit too quickly 36g in 23 secs (as I have had to set Niche at 23.75 for the Brazil!! and didn't fine up to compensate for the blended new bean), but was a very taste cortado. 

I think I omitted to thank @Hairy_Hogg and @Daren for their work on this. Great choice folks!

• Like 1

Apart from@Kman10 is anyone else still waiting for theirs??

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Tried espresso with it this afternoon for the first time - seems to want to be ground finer than any bean I recall drinking. Settled on 18-37 in 21s (!) before I decided to stop wasting coffee. The espresso was fiercely pineapplely and had the acidity that you'd expect from an underextracted drink, but with a bit of milk in a flat white was really light and fruity - enjoyable! Will go finer next time. 

• Like 1

Gaggia Classic 2014 w/silvia wand; Sage SGP

Had a couple of shots, a nice funk and some fruity acidity. 18gms in, 36gms out in 30 seconds made for a nicely balanced very drinkable shot which made me want another. No idea where it's from as usual, but happy to work through this over the next few days.  

@Kman10 and @Jackabb - There is no specific tracking but sometimes the roaster can see if it has been delivered or not, I had emailed @Steampunkcoffee yesterday morning, but I know the team are working odd shifts due to current circumstances, to see if they can check.

I assume you have done the normal of checking with neighbours etc.

Will let you know as soon as I get an update

Edited by Hairy_Hogg

Mr LSOL - November offering, Vagabond, here -> Clicky <- (debate still going on)

December offering, Obadiah, here -> Clicky <-

@Kman10 and @Jackabb - There is no specific tracking but sometimes the roaster can see if it has been delivered or not, I had emailed @Steampunkcoffee yesterday morning, but I know the team are working odd shifts due to current circumstances, to see if they can check.
I assume you have done the normal of checking with neighbours etc.
Will let you know as soon as I get an update

Happy to report it has arrived today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1st Attempt as espresso 1.3 on the mazzer laser dial (means nothing apart from it’s in the general standard espresso rage). 94c

17.5g=> 42g in 21 secs VERY BRIGHT!!!
Went finer 1.1 on the major
18g=>43g in 37 secs. Tasting better but a wet paper after taste

Must try harder. Liking this more so far as filter in the CCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Great espresso today. Very funky. Reminds me of the honduras anabolic fermentation i had from north star last.

Definitely some fermentation going on.

FWIW 18g - 40g 92.5 degres 26s

• Like 1

Oh wow, guys. This is an excellent coffee. 

Red berries of some kind, strawberry I think. It actually reminds me of the one we had from Carvetti not too long ago. 

I've only had 1 v60 so far so early days but a really excellent cup. 

Thanks HH & Daren! edit: and just realised @Steampunkcoffeein here too! Thanks!

Initial thoughts are African. Possibly Ethiopia/Rwanda, somewhere like that. I'll finalise my prediction when I've had a little more than one cup lol. 

Edited by Rapid
  • Like 2

Delighted to have picked mine up, after a couple of 1:2 in 20 / 22 seconds went a fair bit finer and got to 1:2 in 30. 

Great mouthfeel! Flavours were a bit muddled still so will try @filthyninessuggestion of 1:1.7 tomorrow. Would agree with general consensus that this is a great bean, some nice fruit in there and again lovely texture. As @Rapidsays a bit reminiscent of the Carvetti so I would say Rwanda/ Uganda but saying that I wouldn't be surprised for it to be leftfield and maybe a Chinese

• Like 3

Well - just a quick note to say that I’ve got no idea what this bean is - but I’m certainly loving it! Straight espresso or Americano... it’s a cracker.

Thanks to @Darenand @Hairy_Hogg - as well as @Steampunkcoffee for organising, roasting etc.

My only fear at the moment is that I’m going to run out.... think I might need a double 1 kg sub for some of these 😉

Edited by MrShades
tapatalk can't cope with mentions
  • Like 3

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Absolutely love this coffee! This is my favourite lsol so far and we definitely had some great beans on here! 

I began with v60 (30 to 500 in ~4min) but I think it really shines as espresso. 18 to 38 at 6bar in 28s gives a sweet well balanced very tasty shots. Tropical fruits with caramel finish, I'm guessing natural Rwanda. 

Thanks to everyone involved, it's a banger 💥

• Like 2

Shorter quicker shots seem to be working better for me. 18g =>36 in 21 secs low pressure 95c I’m getting sweet red fruits.

Same as above but 42g out similar taste notes but with hibiscus herbal edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

The LSOL team are on fire 🔥🔥🔥

These beans are top drawer.

Only used them as espresso so far but I intend to have a V60 later this morning before I start my prefootball ale session

Going 17 into 40g in about 35 seconds. Have tried a range from 34 to 45 g output and settled on 40.

I would describe these as bold. An immediate sweet red berry impact maybe a touch of orange,delicious coating mouthfeel and a lingering  finish. Interesting and luxurious.

I couldn't be sure as to the origin so it's a stab in the dark. Costa Rica, Natural process.

Great work. Keep 'em coming. Thanks

Edited by paul whu
Missed out "orange".
  • Like 2

Certainly preferring the shorter shot times on this for me. First shot today was 36s 18-40 tasted kinda ashy and bitterness. Second was 18-40 in 29s and much more balanced and fruity.

Great amount of funk in there though!

• Like 2