IGNORED

Forum software update (Sept 20)

9 hours ago, Coffee by the Casuals said:

Completely out of line calling out Mildred.

Haha! Don’t worry @filthynines I kind of know what Grumpy means ;)

I am still fun, I just prefer to have my fun in the privacy of my own home 🤣😜

• Like 4
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From where I sit I see a lot more locked threads. I see folks with vast knowledge drifting away from what is becoming for me  a boring site I feel that where once a number of people would ch

😂 With you? I think you're pretty reasonable, we disagree on a lot but we can converse. I disagree with Blue_Cafe sometimes but he's reasonable too (if a little abrupt!) and that was a considered post

Twice in one day I think I agree with you.  This worries me considerably ...:)

Posted Images

Interesting post by @grumpydaddy

it just goes to show that despite often shouting the loudest, people being 'offended' at certain views/topics aren't the only ones that visit the site less (or claim not to......). The pendulum swings both ways. 

I'll not say another word as I can already hear the knives being sharpened 🤐 

3 minutes ago, Rapid said:

I can already hear the knives being sharpened

😳 do you have listening devices planted in my kitchen 😳

I was just literally sharpening my paring knife ready to do the veg!! See! Told you I was having fun 🤣

3 minutes ago, Rapid said:

Pretty sure you roll with machetes rather than knives Millie! 😬 😉

Those and a machine gun. Mind you, when you’re blindfolded it doesn’t matter too much what ammunition comes to hand 💣

• Like 1

@grumpydaddy

Happens to all forums.

They start off small, and as a site set up by a hobbyist. The forum pulls in some of the more enthusiastic hobby members in the enviroment and a culture, clique grows. As the forum grow, so does the influence of that core until something snaps. Usually, its the forum ownership changing. Once changed, the clique feels abandoned and disenfranchised and the members of that clique throw the dummies out as they become ever more marginalised and isolated. In a final foruming singularity, those founding members usually self delete or become perma banned. 

It is a tale as old as time.

15 hours ago, grumpydaddy said:

I mostly come here to see if anything interesting has been posted

So you now think the forum owes you rather than the other way round. That is not how this works. Forums are ever changing and ever evolving. Members come and go, as do owners, etc. A forum is not a passive device. It is not self publishing. It needs feeders and readers.

If you are not engaging because this is not the forum of old, you are correct to do so. It is not the forum of old. Glen left.

If you are waiting for it to return to what it was, then you will have a long wait. I take umbrage that you think this forum should be something it was and not something it is going to be as if that is against some unwritten law of the internet.

If you don't like it now, either don't bother anymore, or engage and influence it to be as you wish. Don't sit on the sidelines casting stones at it.

As for mods being fun, perhaps if the elder members were not so persistent at being unpleasant buffoons', they may find the time to be fun.

I would struggle to be a mod here tbh. The elders show them no respect and the owner/admin is usually AWOL. 

I think they do a great job.

The forum elders need to get over themselves. It's just a forum.

*Awaits stoning *

Edited by Blue_Cafe
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

@grumpydaddy

Happens to all forums.

They start off small, and as a site set up by a hobbyist. The forum pulls in some of the more enthusiastic hobby members in the enviroment and a culture, clique grows. As the forum grow, so does the influence of that core until something snaps. Usually, its the forum ownership changing. Once changed, the clique feels abandoned and disenfranchised and the members of that clique throw the dummies out as they become ever more marginalised and isolated. In a final foruming singularity, those founding members usually self delete or become perma banned. 

It is a tale as old as time.

So you now think the forum owes you rather than the other way round. That is not how this works. Forums are ever changing and ever evolving. Members come and go, as do owners, etc. A forum is not a passive device. It is not self publishing. It needs feeders and readers.

If you are not engaging because this is not the forum of old, you are correct to do so. It is not the forum of old. Glen left.

If you are waiting for it to return to what it was, then you will have a long wait. I take umbrage that you think this forum should be something it was and not something it is going to be as if that is against some unwritten law of the internet.

If you don't like it now, either don't bother anymore, or engage and influence it to be as you wish. Don't sit on the sidelines casting stones at it.

As for mods being fun, perhaps if the elder members were not so persistent at being unpleasant jerks, they may find the time to be fun.

I would struggle to be a mod here tbh. The elders show them no respect and the owner/admin is usually AWOL. 

I think they do a great job.

The forum elders need to get over themselves. It's just a forum.

*Awaits stoning *

Good breakdown tbh.

it was not always fun modding when Glenn was here tbh

• Like 2

I would partially agree.....

All forums, indeed communities, have an ebb and flow....
Various customs/actions/practices become ingrained and a certain "mood" prevails....
Then "something" happens.... possibly a new group of members, possibly new rules/enforcement of rules etc etc possibly "just" life.....

I personally try not to jump on bandwagons about "cliques" etc as I only find that (further) divisive.... 
It goes without saying that those (perceived as) in the clique don't normally see themselves as "in" the clique - nor even that there is a clique :-(
and (in the unusual) situation of those in the clique deliberately and consciously being clique-y that would be a very bad situation...
(I never want to be in a clique)...

Newbies often perceive "everybody" (who was there before them) as in the clique..... merely because as far as they know "everybody" has been there forever!!

Then (once they believe themselves to b accepted) they become the clique!!! 

• Like 1

Every time I visit a thread it goes back right to the beginning, like, to page 1. Before it was going to the last page / posted I visited. Anyone noticed such behaviour since the update?

• Thanks 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

6 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Every time I visit a thread it goes back right to the beginning, like, to page 1. Before it was going to the last page / posted I visited. Anyone noticed such behaviour since the update?

Yes, mine does that if I access latest threads from the side bar, but not if I use Activity/All Activity. I will point it out to Admin.

• Thanks 4
10 minutes ago, Rapid said:

You've held back there mate. You must have been tempted for round 2 😂

Thankful that you didn't!

😂 With you? I think you're pretty reasonable, we disagree on a lot but we can converse. I disagree with Blue_Cafe sometimes but he's reasonable too (if a little abrupt!) and that was a considered post that echos my own thoughts. Fair play to him. 

But reasonable discussion isn't what all this unfortunate drama is about, despite attempts to make it as such. I think I can speak for the 99% when I say we all want to move on, enjoy the forum, the coffee chat, give advice, marvel at lever machines etc rather than re-litigating the same issues of the 1% with most of that burden falling on the same few people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I shall not argue with any of you. You have your views, I have mine.... it is just that now some people are allowed, even encouraged, to air their views whilst others are not.

When one considers this culture of never offend anyone it is curiously devoid of balance

I, unlike yourself @Blue_Cafe, would not presume to know what you think

You did however make me check the meaning of that phrase and I found my understanding of "take umbrage" to be in order. I find it in keeping with a lot of folks here now. My perception of course but it is the result of a lifetime of observing people

If I may quote:

phrase. If you say that a person takes umbrage, you mean that they are upset or offended by something that someone says or does to them, often without much reason. [formal] He takes umbrage against anyone who criticises him. 

You are right of course in that this type of forum is not for everybody and as I pointed out before, a lot of folks who leave of their own volition take with them something that over time may well work against the future of this Forum's success

Question: If the plan was for a coffee forum so very different to that which existed before, why buy that other forum and decimate it? Why not build a fresh new Forum as has been created and let people join on its merits.

Now then.... has anybody seen the return of any features that went AWOL after the upgrade?

• Like 1

I also do 

https://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=596475 Letting the idle processors on phone and PC help humanity

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vesuvius/ Even though I have a lever

14 minutes ago, grumpydaddy said:

I shall not argue with any of you. You have your views, I have mine.... it is just that now some people are allowed, even encouraged, to air their views whilst others are not.

When one considers this culture of never offend anyone it is curiously devoid of balance

I, unlike yourself @Blue_Cafe, would not presume to know what you think

You did however make me check the meaning of that phrase and I found my understanding of "take umbrage" to be in order. I find it in keeping with a lot of folks here now. My perception of course but it is the result of a lifetime of observing people

If I may quote:

phrase. If you say that a person takes umbrage, you mean that they are upset or offended by something that someone says or does to them, often without much reason. [formal] He takes umbrage against anyone who criticises him. 

You are right of course in that this type of forum is not for everybody and as I pointed out before, a lot of folks who leave of their own volition take with them something that over time may well work against the future of this Forum's success

Question: If the plan was for a coffee forum so very different to that which existed before, why buy that other forum and decimate it? Why not build a fresh new Forum as has been created and let people join on its merits.

Now then.... has anybody seen the return of any features that went AWOL after the upgrade?

What I am trying to say, is that it's just a forum. 

Read it, post in it, enjoy it, loathe it, love it, hate it. It is after all, a literary mirror of the human condition.

Don't sit outside. Come on in and make it more. :)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Blue_Cafe said:

What I am trying to say, is that it's just a forum. 

Read it, post in it, enjoy it, loathe it, love it, hate it. It is after all, a literary mirror of the human condition.

Don't sit outside. Come on in and make it more. :)

Twice in one day I think I agree with you. 

This worries me considerably ...:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

Donate / Sponsor

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo