Can you help me with a short survey?

Hey guys,

I would be forever grateful if any of you have a spare 2 minutes to help me with a survey I've put together. It's totally anonymous and there is a nice 25% discount code on completion for my roastery, Eighty Seven Plus.

It is regarding a new concept I've been considering for our coffee tasting app.

https://forms.gle/qVKvxCGZ62d2wytD7

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Owner and Head Roaster of

https://eightysevenplus.com

Specializing in 87+ scoring coffees and home to a unique mobile tasting app.

Really hope this idea gets off the ground. I still think it needs to be open to any coffee, not just ones purchased through you/the app marketplace. If it had that functionality then you could be open to something big. Are there existing apps in this space and how do they work?

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, KingoftheHeath said:

Really hope this idea gets off the ground. I still think it needs to be open to any coffee, not just ones purchased through you/the app marketplace. If it had that functionality then you could be open to something big. Are there existing apps in this space and how do they work?

Thank you. I know of one US based app called Angels Cup or thereabouts that does something along this line. The issue with adding all coffee is really with the mess the database may get in. If people are manually entering the coffee, we may end up with 5 versions of the same bean with slightly different spellings for example. And connecting all the roasters to the database automatically would be a herculian challenge. Although admittedly, this would be a remarkable app to have!

I would like to have at least 20 or 30 European roasters on board at first, meaning we should have 150 coffees or so. And of course if it becomes popular, we could always look at something much more open, but it would require quite a lot of thought as to how to achieve that.

Really appreciate your feedback.

• Like 1

The idea of the app is brilliant and I can see people getting on board with it.

However I presume you would be taking a cut of the sale through the marketplace, and as such I think you might struggle to get roasters to see the value in selling with you, especially when you as the owner have your own coffee to promote.

If I were you I would decide do I want to be a coffee roaster or do I want to make this app work. If it is the later I would suggest you try and populate it using a database along the lines of coffee diff (perhaps even speak to them) then attempt to monetise it through paid featured coffee / advertising within the app once you have built up a user base.

Sorry to be a bit negative but I have my business hat on and I just cannot see it working in the form you suggest.

• Like 2

Survey completed, look forward to buying some coffee from you. A few thoughts:

Volume is key here. It needs to have as many roasters as possible. The audience for this is younger, less experienced people. I want to find a coffee I enjoy, go on update my tasting notes and then find other coffees like it, buy them straight from the app ideally. Or just put in some notes I fancy trying, say floral and strawberry for instance and the app will give me suggestions of coffees. Roasters would also be reviewed/scored. The learn/train your palate/see how you fared thing...that's of interest but shouldn't be the focus, just integrated into the app.

I'm not sure, as a roaster yourself you would easily get other roasters on board as would you be taking a cut of the sale? If the app got popular it would help them get exposure to a market they might struggle with, that's the selling point, but my concern for you is the market is older, not one that uses apps as the portal to their buying and decision making.

Sorry if I'm being negative, just some thoughts off the top of head. I'll download the app later, maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick.

• Like 1

Sage Barista Express.

Although many might agree that it would be nice in theory to easily see centralised, crowd-sourced notes and reviews, I wonder if you might get a better picture of whether people would actually go out of their way to use it if you instead asked if people on here have much regard for the already-existing reviews and ratings on some roasters' websites?

Would they actually decide what to buy based on what some random person - who could be preparing and consuming the coffee in god-knows-what way - says, versus what the roaster claims? Obviously, roasters can misrepresent their offerings, but if you're only going for a limited number of the top coffee roasters in Europe to begin with, users probably have no reason to explicitly distrust them outside of personal experience.

If you do decide to continue, I would echo what davril says about the coffeediff approach. It would not be perfect vs. manually entering a select few roasters' products, but it would be good enough to build a userbase, work out the user experience for the rating and reviews, and get a foot into monetisation so that you have something to show the roasters when you approach them.

Edited by JJarvis
3 hours ago, davril said:

The idea of the app is brilliant and I can see people getting on board with it.

However I presume you would be taking a cut of the sale through the marketplace, and as such I think you might struggle to get roasters to see the value in selling with you, especially when you as the owner have your own coffee to promote.

If I were you I would decide do I want to be a coffee roaster or do I want to make this app work. If it is the later I would suggest you try and populate it using a database along the lines of coffee diff (perhaps even speak to them) then attempt to monetise it through paid featured coffee / advertising within the app once you have built up a user base.

Sorry to be a bit negative but I have my business hat on and I just cannot see it working in the form you suggest.

Hi Davril, I am glad you like the concept. Initially I designed the app to only be used with the coffee that I roast, however have since realised it may have broader appeal and considered opening it up. It would be rebranded, new website, new business model. Idea was to take a 20% cut or thereabouts of sales made via the website, similar to what The Right Roast do. I think my coffee would stay separate in order to not have any conflicts of interest.

I actually had the coffee diff idea too, I know Vik a bit and that avenue is definitely worth exploring. 

An no need to apologize, your feedback is very valuable!

Anyway, these are really just ideas at the moment. I have, what I think, is a valuable tool, and don't want to see it wasted.