Hi Folks,

I've settled on a Gaggia Classic as my first home espresso machine. I'm looking after a fully working pre-2015 or the newest 2019 model. All the stock accessories would be handy.

I can collect within 30 miles of Bath or I'm happy to pay postage for the right machine. So as popular recording artist Jay-Z once famously said:

'SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!!'

Thanks dude, Gumtree says:

Sorry, the ad you are looking for is no longer available. Please see similar ads below.

As above I'm after a fully working example within 30 miles (roughly 45mins drive).

Thanks anyway!

Edited by Mr Coffee Man Sir
  • Like 1

Oxford too much of a stretch for you? I have an upgraded pre 2015 model which has been powdercoted grey, with pressure gauge, silvia steam wand, brand new steam valve fitted in April/May and OPV mod. Comes with naked portafilter, IMS basket, Motta tamper. I also have a PID fitted to control the brew temperature as well.

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

28 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Oxford too much of a stretch for you? I have an upgraded pre 2015 model which has been powdercoted grey, with pressure gauge, silvia steam wand, brand new steam valve fitted in April/May and OPV mod. Comes with naked portafilter, IMS basket, Motta tamper. I also have a PID fitted to control the brew temperature as well.

Could I pester you to post a photo of the Gaggia, I'm not in the market for one but do love seeing modded Classics & Silvias.

38 minutes ago, MartinB said:

I'm afraid so dude, trying to keep non-essential travel to a minimum.

Hoping for a machine without mods if possible, less go wrong surely!!

51 minutes ago, Mr Coffee Man Sir said:

Hoping for a machine without mods if possible, less go wrong surely!!

Not too sure of that logic.... it's like buying a £2000 mountain bike or a £2000 car.

Much less to go wrong on the bike, but does that make it better?   If your initial intention was to travel 20 miles to work and back then the car is infintely better!

If your intention is to make good espresso with a Classic, well... mods are pretty unavoidable - and it's always cheaper to get a machine pre-modded than to do it yourself.

• Like 3

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

6 hours ago, MrShades said:

Not too sure of that logic.... it's like buying a £2000 mountain bike or a £2000 car.

Much less to go wrong on the bike, but does that make it better?   If your initial intention was to travel 20 miles to work and back then the car is infintely better!

If your intention is to make good espresso with a Classic, well... mods are pretty unavoidable - and it's always cheaper to get a machine pre-modded than to do it yourself.

Is it really so illogical to want to buy something as it was designed? Also, I'm sure there's plenty of people who cycle <20 miles to work every day that would disagree with your car/bike analogy.

Thanks for your contribution thought!

Edited by Mr Coffee Man Sir

In the case of the Gaggia Classic - then yes. As standard they are 'OK' but the potential to see large, tangible improvements from them is definitely worth considering, especially with bolt-on upgrades and also simply adjusting the OPV screw to adjust the brewing pressure! 

It would be illogical to not want to improve milk steaming, boiler pressure or temperature consistency, especially with tried and tested, widely available and well researched upgrades! 

Edited by MartinB
  • Like 1

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

On 17/09/2020 at 20:49, MartinB said:

In the case of the Gaggia Classic - then yes. As standard they are 'OK' but the potential to see large, tangible improvements from them is definitely worth considering, especially with bolt-on upgrades and also simply adjusting the OPV screw to adjust the brewing pressure! 

It would be illogical to not want to improve milk steaming, boiler pressure or temperature consistency, especially with tried and tested, widely available and well researched upgrades! 

I just wanted a stock machine that hasn't been opened up and tinkered with by a random coffee nerd off a forum. No offence. When it comes to making any improvements I'd prefer to rely on my own techincal skills. 

I'll look elsewhere...

• Like 1
I just wanted a stock machine that hasn't been opened up and tinkered with by a random coffee nerd off a forum. No offence. When it comes to making any improvements I'd prefer to rely on my own techincal skills. 
I'll look elsewhere...
Did you think of buying one new on Amazon? [emoji2]

Sent from my ALP-L09 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mr Coffee Man Sir said:

I'll look elsewhere...

🤣 No offence taken chap. Good luck on your coffee journey 🍀 

Edited by MartinB

On 17/09/2020 at 11:22, Jasetaylor said:

Could I pester you to post a photo of the Gaggia, I'm not in the market for one but do love seeing modded Classics & Silvias.

IMG_20200922_120058.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry to hijack the thread but is that the Inkbird ITC-100 PID you have? I just installed one on my Fracino Piccino and I'm trying to work out the settings.

On 22/09/2020 at 12:08, MartinB said:

IMG_20200922_120058.jpg

2 minutes ago, brewslew said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but is that the Inkbird ITC-100 PID you have? I just installed one on my Fracino Piccino and I'm trying to work out the settings.

Yes, it is. Sadly I don't have instructions and it is now sold!

• Like 1

Just now, brewslew said:

Okay no worries, I'll just keep playing around with the settings.

there are a couple of users on the forum who have used Inkbirds - and there's an Inkbird facebook group as well :)

• Like 1

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

coffee-subscription-mini.png

Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

Donate / Sponsor

Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo