IGNORED

Pullman Big Step Tamper and filter baskets experience

Does anyone have any experience of the Pullman baskets and tampers in combination. Seem to be a rarity. 

I happened to be looking at a new tamper and considering baskets for the new machine, I didn't know Pullman made baskets. I thought there were only 2 independent manufacturers 

It appears the Big Step tamper is well regarded, as it should be for the price,  and the company obviously advocates matching with their basket range but suppliers are limited, certainly in the UK and feedback too. 

Yet on the website it suggest a good number of highly placed people in WBC have used them up to the most recent competitions.

Price (for the basket) is kind of between IMS and VST. I only have personal experience with IMS not VST. 

I just wondered really;  matching and/or high tolerance makes sense to me. I have moved away from using a distribution tool, I tamp very lightly and use the Stockfleth method now which does seems to give me a more consistent output on my naked pf than with a tool.

I cannot speak for the diameter consistency of either of IMS/VST  so can't really say any  58.5mm accurately machined tamper and an IMS or VST basket is equally as good as another.

The BigStep was the best manual tamper I’ve owned hands down. I just couldn’t warrant keeping it when I bought the PuqPress. As for the baskets they were easily on par with the VST ones I had and while I couldn’t test extraction difference (nor would I bother to at home) in the cup there was nothing between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am using my Big Step tamper again now, I really like it. The balance and feel of it is great. I did get a basket but for some reason didn’t use it (probably using 15g vst at that time or something). I’d need to dig it out to make a visual comparison, probably won’t be much help though for your decision making!

• Like 1

I have the pullman system and use the palm big step and distributor and pullman baskets.

IMO the best combo I've ever used. But my opinion is subjective and I'm sure others will argue different.

Expensive yes. But they work well and look nice and are solidly built.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on this, one has, almost literally given exchange rates, coughed up and ordered a Big Step and baskets. 

I went standard big step rather than the new 'Lite' as I quite like a bit of heft, I'm using a wood Banksia handle and my basket and dose is usually such that the depth gives me a nice reference for a level puck in a straight sided basket. 

Thanks for replies I look forward to using it.

• Like 1