Aergrind vs JX Pro for espresso

Hi all,

Tried searching the forum but haven't come across any topics that have really compared the 2 grinders.

I'm trying to dabble in budget espresso with my Sage Bambino Plus however my current grinders steps are huge (Timemore Slim) and a single step can cause a difference in shot time of 10 seconds so thought I'd invest in a grinder that can do better adjustments. I'm working on a bit of a budget so I've zoned into the 2 mentioned in the title. From what I've gathered the aergrind is stepless but the jx pro steps are also good enough for espresso. Anyone had experience of both that can advise which one I should go for?

@Vash - I have both, but reckon they are good for slightly different things. Other one to consider is the Kinu range but they are more expensive.

How many espressos a day are you looking to make, are you using super light roasts and will you be carrying it around with you a lot?

Aergrind - possibly gives a nicer grind as stepless with light roasts, but takes an absolute age to do so i.e. 200 or 300 turns. Super compact and handily fits in my Aeropress for climbing/camping/work trips where I am doing it for one person only and at a coarser level.

Works well for v60 but you can’t fit in the full 30g for a 500ml brew in one go. Aluminium drive shaft and steel handle, looks like the axle could wear first. MBK are only doing small batches at the minute, so it is tricky to actually buy one.

Jx-pro - Grinds competently for espresso and pour over, as with all small/medium conical hand grinders it may not get the most out of super light roasts. Stepped grinding, but small increments and I haven’t had a problem since you can adjust your coffee dose easily enough.

Happily chews through an 18g dose in 30s, but is a harder turn than the Aergrind. Bigger capacity and I bought it for visiting parents with my wife, so can quickly do the grinding duties for everyone to have multiple Moka pots or cafetière.

It is a hefty chunky thing though, solidly made aluminium body and steel drive shaft with a 1/4” hex fitting. Aluminium top nut and handle might fail first through wear/fatigue, bit of flex in it so I bought a spare off the manufacturer for £12 in case it ever fails in the future. Possible to buy direct for cheaper than BB, but not as good support etc.

Edited by Northern_Monkey
  • Like 2

Aergrind is really slow for espresso, this is my light travel grinder, when I use it it takes 4-5 min for 16g. 47-48mm burrs will serve you better I mean JX Pro. At work I use JX for espresso and one double takes 30sec. Both grinders are capable for this method though.

Edited by L&R
  • Like 1

CFBG Team

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

5 min is absolutely  real and if someone asks me to prepare second coffee I directly give them the grinder for exercise. On the other hand it is the lightest grinder that can grind for espresso and even turkish.

Edited by L&R

CFBG Team

I was kind of leaning towards the jx pro but the stepless adjustment of the aergrind did tempt me a bit. Forearms are fine... My coffee grinding is my daily workout.. but maybe not for 5 minutes to grind through 18g 😅. I only have 2 espressos a day and I won't travel with it since I have the Cafflano Krinder as my travel one with the Aeropress and I'll use my Timemore for pourover at home.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll go for the JX Pro since it'll stay at home and I'll still have balanced forearms after a month of grinding.

Just don't get the aergrind for espresso! I spend a good few minutes grinding 38g darkish roast coffee for a moka pot. Espresso would be finer still, and while it's not hard to grind, it would take forever! 

Dave on this forum reviewed the jx-pro for espresso on YouTube and was surprised at the quality of grinds and the speed. I assume the burr shape and size is more suited for espresso. 

28 minutes ago, Morningfuel said:

Just don't get the aergrind for espresso! I spend a good few minutes grinding 38g darkish roast coffee for a moka pot. Espresso would be finer still, and while it's not hard to grind, it would take forever! 

Dave on this forum reviewed the jx-pro for espresso on YouTube and was surprised at the quality of grinds and the speed. I assume the burr shape and size is more suited for espresso. 

I use a very fine espresso setting & grind 16 grams (at a casual pace) in 45 seconds on my Aergrind...no time at all & very easy & smooth. I cannot imagine it taking much longer than a minute for the very lightest roast. The Aergrind is small & compact ; it can hold a single dose but not much more than that (max. of approx. 25 gram capacity); if you are grinding larger doses, you might want to go up to the larger options.

Edited by Slowpress
12 minutes ago, Slowpress said:

I use a very fine espresso setting & grind 16 grams (at a casual pace) in 45 seconds on an Aergrind...no time at all & very easy & smooth. The Aergrind is small & compact; it can hold a single dose but not much more than that (max. of approx. 25 gram capacity); if you are grinding larger doses, you might want to go up to the larger options.

You're far quicker than I! I reckon it takes a good minute at moka pot grind to get 20g. Maybe tomorrow I'll time it, maybe it just feels longer because I'm doing it by hand! :)

It feels slower than my old zassenhaus though, at fine settings, yet so much faster and easier on coarse. Perhaps it's all in my head... 

9 minutes ago, Morningfuel said:

You're far quicker than I! I reckon it takes a good minute at moka pot grind to get 20g. Maybe tomorrow I'll time it, maybe it just feels longer because I'm doing it by hand! :)

It feels slower than my old zassenhaus though, at fine settings, yet so much faster and easier on coarse. Perhaps it's all in my head... 

Well, I’m mystified as I am not a fast grinder and not particularly strong either🤷‍♀️🤔... (I am dialled in close to one full rotation from zero, so definitely on the fine end of espresso.) I chose the Aergrind because I have small hands, and thus it was easier for me to hold & crank than with many other handgrinders. 

Edited by Slowpress

Probably they changed the burrs throughout the years but with latest it is impossible to grind 18g for a minute.(Aergrind)

CFBG Team

@L&R - Agree with you on the sub one minute being a challenge with the current ones! 💪

I had a faulty one initially (they replaced in less than a week responded very quickly and nice to deal with) which was slower still, didn’t play well with the beans I used as the feed was restricting. They thought the machining in the internals wasn’t right and blocking the path for that one. The second one was time tested for espresso by MBK before they shipped it to me to be sure, it was a definite improvement!

Either they have different burrs or the internal supports have changed to affect the overall grind rate significantly.

Edited by Northern_Monkey

100% they used diff burrs Italmill or similar 38mm. Less aggressive ones we have are very woman friendly they don't need any force to grind.

Edited by L&R

CFBG Team

Bigger burrs will grind faster but will indeed take more effort, as Northern Monkey mentioned. The Aergrind suits my needs well, both in performance & compactness, but that doesn’t mean it will be the right grinder for everyone.🤷‍♀️☺️

14 hours ago, Slowpress said:

Well, I’m mystified as I am not a fast grinder and not particularly strong either🤷‍♀️🤔... (I am dialled in close to one full rotation from zero, so definitely on the fine end of espresso.) I chose the Aergrind because I have small hands, and thus it was easier for me to hold & crank than with many other handgrinders. 

I just timed myself, 20.1g blackcat Las palomas Costa Rican (not a light roast, more medium - dark) with aergrind at 2 turns +2 for moka pot and it took 2 minutes 39 seconds to get through it. 

I was grinding at a normal speed - I wonder whether we have a different burr set. One rotation from zero would be a useless grind on mine, would choke any espresso machine - it might do a Turkish I guess? 

So I think we have different grinders!