Gaggia Classic 2002 refurb.

I am attempting to strip down and rebuild the above machine, I’ve not done anything that involves steam before. I am more at home with handling timber!

To date I’ve stripped out all the components except the pump, photos to follow. Before I began I had loan  of the pressure gauge from the forum to set the OPV which I did without any problems, a brilliant facility. After I posted the gauge on to the next user I realised I hadn’t stripped and cleaned the OPV!

I came across a post by ratty, who suggested that to give a reading of 9 bar at the brew head the distance from the top of the valve when the nut is removed to the top of the Allen screw is 11.5 mm brilliant!
Another  forum member told me how to remove the shower screen, and shower screen holder where the holding screw had been stripped.

At the moment I am waiting for the delivery of two thermostats, brew and an upgrade steam one. Then hopefully start putting it back together.

I am struggling to release the Steam valve from the boiler in order to put a new gasket on, the bolts come out no Problem but the actual valve is stuck tight to the boiler!  Any suggestions as to how to remove it without causing any damage to boiler or valve. Should I just leave well alone?

The machine spent it’s life in a soft water area and was owned from new from the person I bought it from The  boiler internally was pretty clean going by some I’ve seen on here!

It’s great to know that spare parts are still  available for the Classic.

60245311-25A5-4100-8826-2EB49EF2545A.jpeg

1A8081A5-7F34-4136-A5C6-F421BF45F687.jpeg

7ED4EEEC-28B9-41C9-87DE-1C979E8C5AE8.jpeg

4290C660-A31D-43AC-8583-B86E0EEFCCA8.jpeg

Yikes! Well, at least the inside of the boiler looks OK.

I had trouble releasing my steam valve also.  What worked for me is wiggling it side to side while  pulling up.  The brass section has a 90 deg bend that sits about 1cm into the boiler.  There's some play to rotate the valve a few mm both clockwise and counter to loosen the valve.

The 11.5mm measurement for the OPV is just a starting point.  When I used it, my static pressure reading from the group head was 5 bar.

Oh, you're definitely going to need a new shower screen (and shower block).

Edited by MrSmartepants
43 minutes ago, MrSmartepants said:

Yikes! Well, at least the inside of the boiler looks OK.

I had trouble releasing my steam valve also.  What worked for me is wiggling it side to side while  pulling up.  The brass section has a 90 deg bend that sits about 1cm into the boiler.  There's some play to rotate the valve a few mm both clockwise and counter to loosen the valve.

The 11.5mm measurement for the OPV is just a starting point.  When I used it, my static pressure reading from the group head was 5 bar.

Oh, you're definitely going to need a new shower screen (and shower block).

I will try to do as you say with the steam valve. Just don’t want to damage it. I think the sideways movement allows the spindle to be positioned central in the hole on the side of the machine for the steam knob?
When I initially set the OPV at 10 bar on the gauge attached to the Portafilter, (as per thread advice) to give 9 bar at the group head. When  I started to strip it down to clean it, which should have been done first! I measured the depth of the Allen nut from the top of the valve it was 11mm. So after a clean I positioned it at 11.5mm. Looks like I my need to use the gauge again😄
It’s all part of the learning process I suppose, 

32374862-55E9-482D-BB05-58722149AC08.jpeg

90985289-FF4A-4273-BCD0-044AF386B347.jpeg

It looks like you've got it off?

If not, try getting some leverage with a spanner and giving it some firm taps to rotate it using a hammer. It's stuck on with scale and you've just got to break that scale. Once ours broken it'll lift out

^^ That's the OPV!

Get a decent flat headed screwdriver and wedge it between the top of the boiler and bottom of the steam valve and try and lever it up and then wiggle it as others have mentioned. Some warm water poured into the boiler may help to get the valve warm as well.

Edited by MartinB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

One photo shows the OPV stripped down.
I’ll give it another go later with the screwdriver and warm water!

Hopefully the thermostats will arrive later today, then I can begin to reassemble it. Just hope it goes back as easily as it came apart!

great fun though!

thanks to all for your input.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MartinB said:

^^ That's the OPV!

Get a decent flat headed screwdriver and wedge it between the top of the boiler and bottom of the steam valve and try and lever it up and then wiggle it as others have mentioned. Some warm water poured into the boiler may help to get the valve warm as well.

I managed to remove the steam valve by putting warm water into the boiler, which in turn warmed the steam valve. I ran a bit of warm water through it.

Then used your suggested screwdriver method, and with a bit of side to side movement it came off! My next dilemma is how to strip it down, I understand you need to grind a bit of brass away from around the spindle?

I have a new gasket for it, I don’t have the facility to cut the brass, could I clean it internally with what cleaning solution?

C3E87469-F000-46CB-8592-34FEC37CF9BF.jpeg

90824061-FAD8-4A2E-91FA-833012550198.jpeg

Like you say the only way to strip the valve down is to grind the brass away that holds the retaining washer. Otherwise it's a good soak in citric acid, but it will likely still drip.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, El carajillo said:

When you reassemble the steam valve to the boiler, leave the bolts slack until you have centred up the steam knob in the hole in the case, then tighten up.

Thanks for that, top tip!

1 hour ago, ChilledMatt said:

Like you say the only way to strip the valve down is to grind the brass away that holds the retaining washer. Otherwise it's a good soak in citric acid, but it will likely still drip.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I can’t be sure the steam wand drips. When I got it I primed it and put some water through the wand. I was able to shut it off and I don’t think it dripped?

I’ll soak it in citric, fit a new gasket, then see how it performs.🤞

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

Started to reassemble the machine today. Fitted a new boiler gasket after skimming face of meeting face with wet and dry.
The thermal paste arrived today. applied to both thermostats.

I replaced the gaskets to solenoid, OPV valve and steam valve. I gave the steam valve a good soaking in citric acid, fingers crossed it doesn’t leak!

IMS shower screen, brass holder and a cafelat  silicone Gasket.

I also changed the steam wand for a Rancilio.

To my surprise it fired up first time, with no leaks!

I really enjoyed working on this Classic. the first one I’ve done, learned a lot, and had some useful advice from forum members.
Looking forward to making a brew tomorrow.

And maybe doing another one!

8DF06B06-5E35-4441-8E86-6840F58B00ED.jpeg

90321490-C8CA-4910-8095-806E94273244.jpeg

ECA8B334-24A6-42C2-BFE8-41779442A7BC.jpeg

• Like 3

Awesome. Great work! 

• Like 1

On 16/09/2020 at 19:00, Mulligrub said:

Started to reassemble the machine today. Fitted a new boiler gasket after skimming face of meeting face with wet and dry.
The thermal paste arrived today. applied to both thermostats.

I replaced the gaskets to solenoid, OPV valve and steam valve. I gave the steam valve a good soaking in citric acid, fingers crossed it doesn’t leak!

IMS shower screen, brass holder and a cafelat  silicone Gasket.

I also changed the steam wand for a Rancilio.

To my surprise it fired up first time, with no leaks!

I really enjoyed working on this Classic. the first one I’ve done, learned a lot, and had some useful advice from forum members.
Looking forward to making a brew tomorrow.

And maybe doing another one!

8DF06B06-5E35-4441-8E86-6840F58B00ED.jpeg

90321490-C8CA-4910-8095-806E94273244.jpeg

ECA8B334-24A6-42C2-BFE8-41779442A7BC.jpeg

Holy crap, how did you get the grouphead top that shiny? How was the condition prior? 

What a great job you’ve done @MulligrubI’ve got a 2002 in great condition and hardly used so I’ve added a PID, Cafelat and Rancilio wand - probably like yours one careful owner who never used it

Now I’ve bought another that’s not working and I’ll be following your lead on everything as I think the bolts look a little corroded

What did you do about remembering the wiring connections? Was it Photos?

1 hour ago, Uncletits said:

What a great job you’ve done @MulligrubI’ve got a 2002 in great condition and hardly used so I’ve added a PID, Cafelat and Rancilio wand - probably like yours one careful owner who never used it

Now I’ve bought another that’s not working and I’ll be following your lead on everything as I think the bolts look a little corroded

What did you do about remembering the wiring connections? Was it Photos?

I number the connections carefully and make a diagram, also it’s a good idea to take a photo before you start. I was told never to disconnect the front switches, keep them intact. I just un clipped them and pulled them though the hole covering them to avoid scratching the front panel.

I’ve finished the 2002 G.C. now and have started stripping down a 2011 model which again hasn’t been used much! It’s noticeable how the quality of the components differ between the two models.

Photos to follow.

Hope You will enjoy the process of refurbishing your machine, I certainly did, that’s why I decided to do another one😀

I will fit a PID or maybe a BoostBox To one of them, I don’t know which.

I couldn’t have done any of this work without the help and guidance from the forum members.

5F805A19-603C-41C2-8D0D-46F442E15457.jpeg

Edited by Mulligrub

Just an update on my 2002 Classic. I adjusted the OPV today, it was much harder to do than my 2011 Classic which I did at the same time. 
It took me six attempts to get a reading of 9.5! 
The steam wand is leaking a bit, so the descale I did hasn’t improved it. I understand there is a mod that can be done to it to my it easier to strip down and clean, something I will need to do. Other than that I am pleased with the finished job, and really enjoyed doing it.

Yet to make a brew!

66064BB1-3340-4727-BD28-E24B4D6C8FE2.png

17 minutes ago, Mulligrub said:

Just an update on my 2002 Classic. I adjusted the OPV today, it was much harder to do than my 2011 Classic which I did at the same time. 
It took me six attempts to get a reading of 9.5! 
The steam wand is leaking a bit, so the descale I did hasn’t improved it. I understand there is a mod that can be done to it to my it easier to strip down and clean, something I will need to do. Other than that I am pleased with the finished job, and really enjoyed doing it.

Yet to make a brew!

66064BB1-3340-4727-BD28-E24B4D6C8FE2.png

I recognise that 😀

• Haha 1

You’ve done a great job - I have issues with my 2002!

Bolts are all broken so I need to soak and revisit 

I’ve got the group and boiler separated but needed to drill the heads off a couple

Got quite a bit of scale but I’m determined to carry on and get it working

I’ll get some photos

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Uncletits said:

You’ve done a great job - I have issues with my 2002!

Bolts are all broken so I need to soak and revisit 

I’ve got the group and boiler separated but needed to drill the heads off a couple

Got quite a bit of scale but I’m determined to carry on and get it working

I’ll get some photos

I would be interested to see any photos. Sounds like maybe the machine has suffered some kind of water damage in the past?

I am going to attempt to pull a shot or two tomorrow on my 2002 Classic, Fingers crossed !