I am replacing the thermostats on my Gaggia Classic.

One for the brew the other for steam 107 and 155 degrees.

Is it necessary to use thermal paste when attaching  them to the aluminium boiler?

advice appreciated.

If you have some use it.  If not don't bother.    Important, don't over-tighten, it is easy to shear off the pin.:mad:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, El carajillo said:

If you have some use it.  If not don't bother.    Important, don't over-tighten, it is easy to shear off the pin.:mad:

Many thanks for your advice.

I will leave it out. Okay about the over tightening👍
cheers.

2p's worth:

Thermal paste would've been used by the manufacture for very good reason: because the two hard metallic mating surfaces between the thermostat and aluminum boiler casting are not perfectly flat - thermal paste is therefore used to bridge any gaps between the two surfaces which would otherwise be air which is an awful conductor of heat. Hence I'd definitely use it otherwise the thermal characteristics to which your coffee machine was originally designed to will now be different. Think of it like this: you wouldn't replace the heatsink on a processor without replacing the thermal paste too now would you? Believe it or not, it makes a hell of a difference!

A

• Like 1

LOL.

3 hours ago, facboy said:

i think the CPU scenario is a fairly different application though.

Not in my tiny mind: I'm talking about the efficient transference of heat from one body to another and I merely used the example of using thermal paste on a processor to exemplify this.

A

yeah, i guess i'm not sure how much the efficiency matters in this case.  maybe it does?

Having used thermal paste to improve the conductivity of a thermometer for my la pav group the difference without using it is large. More lag and a few degrees disparity. Different situation but for the cost of £3 off eBay I’d use it 

La Pavoni Europiccola - Mignon Manuale - La Pavoni Zip - Gaggia Classic - Nanopresso - Osmio Zero

On 15/09/2020 at 08:05, TomHughes said:

Having used thermal paste to improve the conductivity of a thermometer for my la pav group the difference without using it is large. More lag and a few degrees disparity. Different situation but for the cost of £3 off eBay I’d use it 

I ordered some from Amazon 4g tube, should have it tomorrow.

many thanks.