IGNORED

How long does your routine take end to end?

tripleshot

I forgot to set the timer up! Had my dishcloths steeping in dosmestos but to wipe the steam wand would have been done before the shot had finished.....

Edited by dfk41
  • Like 3

In a race between a donkey and a horse, to see who could reach the bottom first..........one side has a commanding lead

1 hour ago, tripleshot said:

@DavecUK thanks for posting the video, very helpful. 

2m 40s  - transfer grinds to portafilter and prep (** likely inefficient and need to look at further @DavecUK I see you end up with a mound on one side when transferring grinds to portafilter. I keep getting dead spots in that area and suspect that weight of mound creates a denser coffee bed that side that stays denser even after I level it out; my puck prep is intended to even that structural density out)

Well I wasn't expert at the tom cruise cocktail shake as I am now and all my coffee is now level if I use the cup, or sometimes the portafilter ring that Ceado gave me and I grind straight into the PF. I only used to stir with the chopstick to free any stastic cling. That was first thing in the morning and not multiple attempts.

I was trying to show that really making a coffee doesn't take long, it's relatively easy and you don't need all the rituals and gizmos many people seem to use. Grinder, 17 year old US curve Reg Barber Tamper and Scales. No one needs to rush, it's not a race and it can be done in 3m 30s at a very leisurely pace.

Obviously if you are doing multiple shots the per shot time is much faster, because you only need a dry paintbrush in-between shots. This one of my morning coffee series videos touches on the paintbrush (I've liked to the start point of that segment so you don't have to watch the whole video. Of course if you are making multiple shots, you don't have to clean the group in between each one either, saving more time (and water).

Edited by DavecUK

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

I turn machine on while making breakfast and after eating it, I make the coffee. So about 20 mins there and today it took 3.5mins (to make and clean up) with someone talking to me. Usually much faster, definitely under 3 mins.

Sage Barista Express, Mazzer Royal w/ DW Kit.

2 hours ago, dfk41 said:

Machine is always ready. Beans are pre weighed into pots. 20 seconds to grind, 10 seconds to level and tamp,10 seconds torso pre infusion, 30 seconds or so to pour. If I am having milk then I steam as it pours. Make the coffee, 10 seconds, empty puck and rinse, 10 seconds, wipe steam wand 5 seconds.....what the hell are you guys doing?????

1.35 in total.......either I am doing something wrong or you lot are taking this far too seriously pretending you know what you are doing! YEs, lessons given to anyone willing to travel......no, I do not do poncy latte art!

Thats close to my routine as well then add 60 seconds of drinking. I know i agree i am a gannet 

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

Well I wasn't expert at the tom cruise cocktail shake as I am now and all my coffee is now level if I use the cup

Do you know any videos that show the technique and break it down? Does this technique ensure a structurally even bed of coffee or does it simply "collapse" the mountain on one side into the other side of the portafilter. I have made enough coffees by now observing the extraction to believe that simply leveling the mound off does not result in a structurally even coffee bed. Looking to be proven wrong

10 minutes ago, tripleshot said:

Do you know any videos that show the technique and break it down? Does this technique ensure a structurally even bed of coffee or does it simply "collapse" the mountain on one side into the other side of the portafilter. I have made enough coffees by now observing the extraction to believe that simply leveling the mound off does not result in a structurally even coffee bed. Looking to be proven wrong

? ;) 

Edited by siliconslave

2 minutes ago, tripleshot said:

I don't really know of any. In amongst all my videos that information is there if you care to search through them. When reviewing I (intentionally) don't use the VDT, my videos are not "set up" in any way, the shot is the shot, I don't video countless times until I get a good one. I've been doing it well over 25 years and I just don't think all the technique is so important in terms of distribution, distribution tools, stockfleshs, WDT, Nutating, Stirring with special stirrers and whatever.

The key thing I have found is a good grinder, well roasted quality coffee. Plus a coffee puck that is compressed evenly (no voids or loose areas) and I have used the same tamping technique for 17 years (again in one of my morning coffee videos) to help ensure it is. When I'm not reviewing I use the VDT, as for me that helps make double sure there are no voids/loose areas of the puck.

The whole puck can be looser or tighter but not one area of the puck in relation to another and correct portafilter fill levels for the machine and profile used.

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

About 3 minutes, just over two if I'm rushing. Weight out (~30 seconds) run pump to heat cup and flush machine, inspect beans quickly (~10 seconds) put in grinder, remove portafilter and wipe down, grind into portafilter (~20 seconds), tap to level or wdt (choice doesn't really affect time) and tamp (~20 seconds) pull shot (30-50 seconds)....knock out puck, rinse portafilter, clean group, replace portafilter (~20 seconds total).

The videos are really helpful to compare what I'm doing. Thanks for those.

It takes me about 4 minutes on a preheated gaggia classic for a milk drink including time to refill the boiler after steaming. 

I think a lot of it is muscle memory or just having a rehearsed routine so you can be relaxed and avoid making mistakes. 

My jaw just dropped upon reading this.....

20 minutes!! For a coffee.... but then it became apparent that some of these timings included things like "Machine warm up" and "full strip down of grinder for deep clean" and I felt a bit better.... Each to their own of course but I can't get my head round "prep" taking more than "seconds" (possibly a minute or two) and 4 minutes to steam milk.... I'm betting that's a tad warm!

One good thing about this thread is that I have learnt a new word!!

I like words and consider I have a 1/2 decent vocabulary but I was stumped with "nivelate"...
I could make a guess based on context but.....

When I noticed the poster was in Madrid it made a lot more sense :-) 

@profesor_historia Hola amigo, la pasé muy bien en Madrid, por esta época el año pasado, ¡espero poder volver pronto!

image.png

that is a good word, 
nivellate
To level; reduce to a level.

To be honest I first read that as nutate, as in nutation tamping technique, that seems to have fallen out of favour a bit. But I do like that as a word too, I try to crowbar that into as many conversations as i can. it's good to embiggen ones vocabulary. 

My jaw just dropped upon reading this.....
20 minutes!! For a coffee.... but then it became apparent that some of these timings included things like "Machine warm up" and "full strip down of grinder for deep clean" and I felt a bit better.... Each to their own of course but I can't get my head round "prep" taking more than "seconds" (possibly a minute or two) and 4 minutes to steam milk.... I'm betting that's a tad warm!
One good thing about this thread is that I have learnt a new word!!
I like words and consider I have a 1/2 decent vocabulary but I was stumped with "nivelate"...
I could make a guess based on context but.....
When I noticed the poster was in Madrid it made a lot more sense :-) 
@profesor_historia Hola amigo, la pasé muy bien en Madrid, por esta época el año pasado, ¡espero poder volver pronto!

image.png.3807e0a0e2cc5a23023d4a395c761664.png

Sorry for the mistake, my English is not perfect, hope to improve it by following the group :) I should have used "leveling". I am Romanian and learnt English alone, by myself and it's far better than the vast majority of the Spaniards [emoji23].

Te espero otra vez cuando quieras compañero :)

Sent from my ALP-L09 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, profesor_historia said:

Sorry for the mistake, my English is not perfect, hope to improve it by following the group :) I should have used "leveling". I am Romanian and learnt English alone, by myself and it's far better than the vast majority of the Spaniards emoji23.png.

Te espero otra vez cuando quieras compañero :)

Sent from my ALP-L09 using Tapatalk

Absolutely no apology required - your English is a million times better than my Spanish...
to be honest your English is probably better than my English (I am originally a Londoner so real English is like a 2nd language to me ;-) )

1 hour ago, espressoSquirrel said:

that is a good word, 
nivellate
To level; reduce to a level.

To be honest I first read that as nutate, as in nutation tamping technique, that seems to have fallen out of favour a bit. But I do like that as a word too, I try to crowbar that into as many conversations as i can. it's good to embiggen ones vocabulary. 

Mmmmmm "nutate" always struck me as a bit of a contrivance to be honest...
It does sort of mean what it is used to mean in tamping.... ish... but sort of not really....

In the "classic" definition there is a definite link to rotation which is somewhat lacking in, at least my, tamping technique.

Could I think of a better word to describe it..... well no :-( 

First cup this morning took 10 mins because I was not awake. Stood blinking hopelessly at the spot where my milk jug normally sits, before realizing I'd put in a cupboard last night (roaming kittens tend to send things crashing at 3 a.m.). Then glared at my grinder for not grinding. Hadn't switched it on, was preoccupied with milk jug. Then remembered you need milk in the jug, to steam for a flat white, so got that from the fridge. Everything was foggy-headed slo-mo because I had not had my coffee yet. 

Second took under four minutes. 

• Like 1