ECM Synchronika Puck Sticking to Screen

Hi 

I purchased a new Synchronika a few months ago and the machine produces wonderful coffee.  

The only issue I have is the puck seems to get sucked out of the basket when the brew lever is retuned to the lower position.

If I blip the brew lever before releasing the portafilter,   the puck is returned to the basket and I normally do this as part of my workflow.  This happens all of the time with single and double baskets.  I tried increasing/reducing the amount of coffee,  varying the grind, tamp pressure etc.

Not a big problem as the coffee tastes good,  but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should check.

May not be related, but I’ve had this a couple of times - and when it does, it Is only when I remove the portafilter immediately after pouring the shot. 

Regards,
John

Profitec Pro 600, Niche Zero, 1Zpresso JX Pro, Osmio Zero

If I could think of something witty and original to put in my signature, this is where it would be . . .

Return the lever slowly in 0 position(especially when you feel that exhaust valve is opening), you will be surprised by the result.

CFBG Team

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

What L&R says works.

Also, it's a combination of your coffee & grinder too. For instance, with the Niche, I get sticking pucks more so than an Eureka Helios or Atom. I actually tested this.

Regardless, I actually mentioned in another post, so will just reference it in here, something that worked for me:

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

With e61 I generally found lower doses increased puck sticking - more water between puck and screen = greater suction

And with the IMS nano shower screen it stuck every time no matter what - so soon replaced that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sage Bambino - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

2 minutes ago, kennyboy993 said:

And with the IMS nano shower screen it stuck every time no matter what - so soon replaced that

The nano coated version malarkey? 35 or 200? I had a "normal" one (200, integrated) for two years on an E61, never ever had a problem with stuck pucks. 

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

I had the 200 too. On my vesuvius it was a nightmare for sticking - lovely and clean after the puck had dropped off and did a cleaning quick flush though.

Put the vesuvius stock screen back on and no more sticking problems.

I think I had the same on my ECM no problems so yeah maybe a V problem

Sage Bambino - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

4 minutes ago, kennyboy993 said:

I had the 200 too. On my vesuvius it was a nightmare for sticking - lovely and clean after the puck had dropped off and did a cleaning quick flush though.

Put the vesuvius stock screen back on and no more sticking problems.

I think I had the same on my ECM no problems so yeah maybe a V problem

Very interesting. Cheers Kenny. 

• Like 1

I do have it occasionally on my Synchronika. Usually not a problem on my preferred SO lighter roasts but on your typical espresso blend it seems to be more prevalent.

More of an issue for me is parts of the puck sticking inside the basket when I knock it out. With a spouted portafilter it means I have to pop the basket out and rinse the whole thing under a tap after every shot. Slows the workflow somewhat. 

ECM Synchronika | Eureka Mignon | VST

2 minutes ago, B-Roadie said:

I do have it occasionally on my Synchronika. Usually not a problem on my preferred SO lighter roasts but on your typical espresso blend it seems to be more prevalent.

More of an issue for me is parts of the puck sticking inside the basket when I knock it out. With a spouted portafilter it means I have to pop the basket out and rinse the whole thing under a tap after every shot. Slows the workflow somewhat. 

Wait a while before knocking out the basket....when you knock it out a few gentle taps is better than one hard knock and likely to get it out cleaner!

• Thanks 1
On 11/09/2020 at 10:47, MediumRoastSteam said:

What L&R says works.

Also, it's a combination of your coffee & grinder too. For instance, with the Niche, I get sticking pucks more so than an Eureka Helios or Atom. I actually tested this.

Regardless, I actually mentioned in another post, so will just reference it in here, something that worked for me:

I changed my method and have been releasing the portafilter like this for the last few days, no more pucks stuck to the screen, brilliant,  thank you.  I usually pull singles using one of the deep centre baskets with a 41mm tamp and find this method works equally well in this scenario as well as for doubles.   

Thanks again for all of the replies and tips

• Like 1