IGNORED

Coffee pucks in the garden

Supposedly keep cats away and great compost, seems a bit wishful thinking ?d3270783319a18c1a7d0158d783e234c.jpg

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

I tend to break mine up and sprinkle around with a teaspoon, then put the rest in the compost. Might make a difference, not sure.
15 minutes ago, Dave double bean said:

Supposedly keep cats away and great compost, seems a bit wishful thinking ?

It won't, it is and it is. 

4 minutes ago, jymbob said:

I tend to break mine up and sprinkle around with a teaspoon, then put the rest in the compost. Might make a difference, not sure.

Well it will look less... shall we say... less like a tip!

PS: Why a teaspoon?... and why only part of it? Or do you mean you spread "all" of some to them and "all" of others go to compost.

Apropos nothing they also don't work for keeping slugs away.

Although they do make good compost.... and I am pretty sure "someone - somewhere" collects them from Cafe's and grows (posh) mushrooms on them.... 

• Like 2

Done it before (but with broken up pucks not whole) but to keep slugs away. It didn't work, or seem to do much as a compost. 

Can confirm my cat, the neighbours cat and other neighbourhood cats were not phased by it in the least. 

• Like 1

I've just had a thought..... seeing as they are fine, firm, plump whole pucks...

They might prove more effective as cat repellants if you had a stack of them an hurled them at said cats when you spotted them in the garden?

That way:
a) They might deter the cats
b) They would get broken up & scattered 
c) any other slug deterrent/(further) cat deterrent/compost value would still ensue

Disclaimer: I don't actually seriously suggest hurling spent pucks at cats....... a twelve bore would be better....
Disclaimer2: I don't actually seriously suggest shooting cats with shotgun..... 

• Like 1

I chuck all mine on the flower bed. My garden smells of coffee. Cats and snails are utterly indifferent to it. I dare say if you've got clay soil it might help break it up. TBH I see no real effects either positive or negative, but figure it's better on the garden than filling up thr food waste thingy.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

• Like 2

IME, yes they stop cats pooing in the garden beds. 
It also helps stop slugs as the dried out coffee sat on top of the bed is irritable to them. 

It shouldn't make the soil more acidic if the coffee is well extracted as the acids in coffee are very soluble so will hopefully end up in your drink not the puck!

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, TomHughes said:

It shouldn't make the soil more acidic if the coffee is well extracted as the acids in coffee are very soluble so will hopefully end up in your drink not the puck!

Coffee pucks are organic matter. When organic matter decomposes it produces acids. 

Regards,

Old Muck Spreader/New Bio Waste Incorporater !

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Batian said:

Coffee pucks are organic matter. When organic matter decomposes it produces acids. 

Regards,

Old Muck Spreader/New Bio Waste Incorporater !

Cool!
So that's the same with anything  in the compost then really? 
My argument was really about coffee itself being inherently acidic as those should have been extracted.

Yes. Lime on acidic soils, compost on alkali soils to get an optimum ph of 6.5 which is best for most plants apart from 'lime haters'. eg Rhododendron 

This provides the best nutrient availability and environment for bacteria and earthworms. Ooohaaaarrr bor.  

• Like 2