7Gr - Specialty Coffee KENYA | CHALEM

i bought these beans last week in a guilt ridden panic, they are different to say the least. They are giving off quite a sour note when dialled in for espresso. I guess thats the citric acidity explosion. 

not hugely to my taste buds, they taste a bit better as a v60 thankfully

https://www.7gr.co.uk/specialty/57-kenya-chalem-specialty-whole-beans-250gr.html

what can i do to try and make them taste a bit better as espresso? or am i just wasting my time trying to make them taste more to my liking?

Edited by spasypaddy
4 minutes ago, spasypaddy said:

i bought these beans last week in a guilt ridden panic, they are different to say the least. They are giving off quite a sour note when dialled in for espresso. I guess thats the citric acidity explosion. 

https://www.7gr.co.uk/specialty/57-kenya-chalem-specialty-whole-beans-250gr.html

what can i do to try and make them taste a bit better as espresso? or am i just wasting my time trying to make them taste more to my liking?

Pressure profiling.

Very long ratios.

I'm a bit surprised they're aimed at people who just want espresso (seems the roaster is "for espresso lovers only"?).

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

11 minutes ago, spasypaddy said:

Kenyan espresso can be a challenge to the palette for sure. 

How are you pulling them at the moment .

In general to balance acidity And gain more sweetness  you have a few options. 

Full a longer ratio and or grind finer and or increase the extraction temperature . 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I wouldn't normally use a Kenyan as an espresso bean...unless it formed a top note of a blend with something more suitable.

• Thanks 1

so to pad out the panic ridden section of my post

the shop was closed, they lady reopened for me, and just grabbed me a bag based on me asking for something for espresso... and then when i took a look at it i thought it would be ok. after paying she intimated it might also be good for v60 etc

13 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

Pressure profiling.

Very long ratios.

I'm a bit surprised they're aimed at people who just want espresso (seems the roaster is "for espresso lovers only"?).

yeah, having tasted it i cant quite get my head around it. i have a silvia so cant pressure profile or go hotter.

7 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Kenyan espresso can be a challenge to the palette for sure. 

How are you pulling them at the moment .

In general to balance acidity And gain more sweetness  you have a few options. 

Full a longer ratio and or grind finer and or increase the extraction temperature . 

a challenge it is, no arguments there!!! 

yesterday i went 18g in 38g out in about 30 seconds (cant remember exactly), today same ratio but had ground finer so it was in more like 45 seconds.

So perhaps i should go 18g in 45-50g out?

10 minutes ago, spasypaddy said:

so to pad out the panic ridden section of my post

the shop was closed, they lady reopened for me, and just grabbed me a bag based on me asking for something for espresso... and then when i took a look at it i thought it would be ok. after paying she intimated it might also be good for v60 etc

yeah, having tasted it i cant quite get my head around it. i have a silvia so cant pressure profile or go hotter.

a challenge it is, no arguments there!!! 

yesterday i went 18g in 38g out in about 30 seconds (cant remember exactly), today same ratio but had ground finer so it was in more like 45 seconds.

So perhaps i should go 18g in 45-50g out?

By all means try a longer ratio 

Kenyans can be funny as are super soluable . 

Another option could be like a good whisky just add a bit of water to it to see if that opens up the flavour profile . 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

6 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

By all means try a longer ratio 

Kenyans can be funny as are super soluable . 

Another option could be like a good whisky just add a bit of water to it to see if that opens up the flavour profile . 

thanks, will try that.