Coffee Forums banner

Which milk "get's in the way"?

327 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jaffro 
#1 ·
I stopped buying milk a while ago, so when I got back into espresso I had to get used to Oatly and Minor Figures for my flat whites. I was apprehensive at first but it textures great and, once I was used to it, it didn't get in the way of the espresso flavour.

Recently, I ordered a flat white out at a cafe and I forgot to ask for oat milk. I was quite shocked at how much the milk flavour overwhelmed the coffee. My assumption was that milk was more "neutral" and oat milks generally had "Strong" flavours that get in the way. It seems, to me at least, that being used to the flavour is probably more of a factor.

Has anyone else found this?

#2 ·
Interesting. I would have said for me that normal milk just adds creaminess to a drink, whereas oat milk (on the few occasions I've had it) adds a funky earthy flavour that I personally found got in the way of espresso.

Like you said, I think maybe it is just what people are used to, oat milk was just a bit odd for me!

That said, I suppose anything added to an espresso could well be considered "getting in the way". Maybe the question is just whether added flavours complement or clash with the espresso?

I should mention that I don't really milk for anything other than flat whites and never really use substitutes given my limited milk use in general. So maybe I'm not the best test subject!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.