IGNORED

Gaggia OPV adjustment

fly3k

On 17/09/2020 at 10:21, MrShades said:

You'll probably need to cut the water delivery pipe - from pump to boiler - but you'll have to be certain that the ends are tightly fixed into that T piece.

You'll then need some additional silicone tubing to connect to the output of the OPV, to route the 'spare' water back into the tank.

In my experience, these valves need to be almost fully extended in order to provide 9bar - and at that point the spring in them is so loose that they dump all of your steam pressure out of the OPV too.  Just be warned.

Good luck!

So I got the valve fitted and with the valve as tight as it goes I get about 7.5 to 8 bar. Any looser it’s about 5 bars. I emailed the seller to see if there was a problem and he said that this OPV isn’t adjustable. 

It pulls a better shot but I get a lot of water running back in the tank off the OPV now and I probably need to explore my grind size and tamping again as it’s probably too fine now and causing the flow to mainly go out the OPV instead of through the group. I’m going to try and add a little something like a plastic washer to the OPV to increase the pressure back up a bit. I’m not losing any pressure off the steam wand which is a bonus. 

9 minutes ago, fly3k said:

So I got the valve fitted and with the valve as tight as it goes I get about 7.5 to 8 bar. Any looser it’s about 5 bars. I emailed the seller to see if there was a problem and he said that this OPV isn’t adjustable. 

It pulls a better shot but I get a lot of water running back in the tank off the OPV now and I probably need to explore my grind size and tamping again as it’s probably too fine now and causing the flow to mainly go out the OPV instead of through the group. I’m going to try and add a little something like a plastic washer to the OPV to increase the pressure back up a bit. I’m not losing any pressure off the steam wand which is a bonus. 

Pictures?

2 hours ago, phario said:

@fly3k maybe a dumb question, but did you not just get this one from shock_waves_shop? That one is fully adjustable from 8-14bar. 

Is the one you bought not the same? Can the central cylinder not be disassembled, yielding an inner spring with an adjustable bolt?

That’s the one I ordered. It unscrews but there is just a spring and seal inside. Nothing adjustable. 

1 hour ago, fly3k said:

That’s the one I ordered. It unscrews but there is just a spring and seal inside. Nothing adjustable. 

What is holding the spring in? The way the OPV works, the spring needs to be held under tension. Once the fluid exceeds a certain pressure, the spring compresses, letting water flow out. So your spring needs to be held at the start and end points. An adjustable OPV allows you to move one of these two locations. Compressing the spring lowers the pressure while keeping it uncompressed elevates the pressure. http://www.espressomyespresso.com/opv.html

So I'm super confused about what you wrote then. As you said:

I emailed the seller to see if there was a problem and he said that this OPV isn’t adjustable. 

On the ad it is clearly written: 

Fully adjustable from around 7bar to 14bar.

So...

Edit: Oh, I think these OPVs are adjusted via the exterior bolts.

Edited by phario
  • Like 1

Update time. Here is a photo of the OPV fitted. There are no adjustable bolts on the OPV but after talking to the seller you can adjust slightly by loosening the thread near the hose end. I added a small piece of plastic behind the valve before the spring and put the OPV back together. Pressure was a little higher than I wanted so I loosened the thread a bit and got the pressure to 10 bar on the pressure gauge. Pulled a shot with no issues. 

3DCA5DF9-6A62-4E60-882D-F81C783A8D4D.jpeg

EB44FCDE-4C6E-4FCF-9A9B-6D8C894D4F48.jpeg

33E0F56E-16E9-4CFF-8559-AAA1F9D46F65.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, phario said:

What a beautifully clean Evolution!

Yellow/green ptfe tubing? Looks great. Where did you source that from?

Thanks! I was impressed how clean it was when I got it. The group and portafilter not so much but I’ve given them a good clean up too. The tubing was something my dad happened to have lying around in his garage and it works well so far. 

4 hours ago, Blue_Cafe said:

Finally. 

An OPV that is "done" safely and correctly.

Well done OP. Looks great.

Yes the original safety valve is still there and in-line so if all else fails that will kick in and save the day. Now to use up some of my staler beans and buy some more fresh ones

• Like 1