Vesuvius strange messages on screen

Had the Vesuvius over 2 years. For the first time recently had a message, in Spanish, on the bottom right of the screen.

The first one said “Gruppo” something but didn’t take a photo and then this one, which translates to Boiler Heater. Never had any message in English in that position. Is this a warning message about the boiler? - can’t find anything in the manual about this.

Hopefully either @DavecUK or @Paolo_Cortese can shed some light on this - hope it doesn’t indicate an imminent failure and is harmless. (Ps ignore the profile line - it’s not duplication, just moving)

DF5FC975-B072-47D6-AC65-1A51920757A5.jpeg

Edited by Stevebee
  • Sad 1

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Cafelat Robot  Grinders : Compak R120, Compak E10, Mythos One Clima Pro, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47, OE Apex

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

Hi Steve,

Is this just sporadic (it sounds this way) or has it been there since it first occurred?

I hope you get the guidance from the knowledgeable guys you have addressed.

Edited by John Yossarian

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

9 minutes ago, John Yossarian said:

Hi Steve,

Is this just sporadic (it sounds this way) or has it been there since it first occurred?

I hope you get the guidance from the knowledgeable guys you have addressed.

It just appeared a few days ago. Was initially the “Gruppo “ message but then the the one shown, which is still there.

Strange

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Cafelat Robot  Grinders : Compak R120, Compak E10, Mythos One Clima Pro, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47, OE Apex

Have you tried to switch the machine off entirely for some time and see whether it will still be there?

I know that there is a small battery that keeps the eprom alive but sometimes this might help.

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

The machine was off from Sunday until Wednesday morning, completely unplugged and the message was still there when turned back on.

1 hour ago, Stevebee said:

The machine was off from Sunday until Wednesday morning, completely unplugged and the message was still there when turned back on.

Another thing that I can think off is that the ribbon connecting the display with the control block. If the contact has been reduced (due to pump vibrations), however slightly, it could result in wrong readings that might result in what you have observed.

Have you tried to reset the ribbon to the display?

Edited by John Yossarian

15 minutes ago, John Yossarian said:

Another thing that I can think off is that the ribbon connecting the display with the control block. If the contact has been reduced (due to pump vibrations), however slightly, it could result in wrong readings that might result in what you have observed.

Have you tried to reset the ribbon to the display?

Haven’t tried anything yet. All the other text on all the other screens in perfect and in English so would be suprised a loose connection would affect just the one screen in only that area. My guess its message about the boiler that was to appear when it sensed an issue but was removed from the initial program before launch and replaced with another way of highlighting it but something has caused it to now appear. Most other warning screens appear in red, out of water , over temp etc.., and this isn’t so no idea at the moment. 

Not sure if it’s normal and is on all machines but from the base of where the group meets the front panel , on the left hand side of upwards including just to the left of the screen it is hot to the touch, the steel panel not the group which is always hot. To the right of the screen is cool. So the area that’s hot is from above the two boiler lights to the left hand side of the screen going down to about halfway down the group on the panel. Maybe it should be like that but I don’t remember this getting hot before, only the group. Probably clutching at straws.

A new message showed up when I turned the machine off.

Lectura dosis which I think is “reading dose” in Spanish. Maybe I should just learn Spanish if I can’t get it sorted!

Touch screen is definitely much much warmer on the left hand side.

94FF4CF7-BF69-4ABF-A24C-7E1276217805.jpeg

Edited by Stevebee
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

A new message showed up when I turned the machine off.

Lectura dosis which I think is “reading dose” in Spanish. Maybe I should just learn Spanish if I can’t get it sorted!

Touch screen is definitely much much warmer on the left hand side.

94FF4CF7-BF69-4ABF-A24C-7E1276217805.jpeg

Weird. Is there anything in the manuals at all about these messages, is there any other behaviour you've noticed? Is it possible things have been reset to defaults somewhere accidentally?

Edited by Rob1

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

There was thread about power states a little while ago that showed the software not working as intended unless the device name in the settings was "VESUVIUS" – I wonder if yours has been reset somehow? My theory was that the device name wasn't a convenience feature but being used as an environment variable/feature flag.

• Like 2
   /\_/\ .。oO(Vesuvius, Niche Zero, V60)
   >^.^<.---.
  _'-`-'     )\
 (--\ |--\ (`.`-.
     --'  --'  ``-'

Well this is weird. After I changed the boiler temp from 130 to 127 the text was still there. Then I made 2 changes. One I renamed my machine to Vesuvius from Vesuvius1 - this is just a user entry screen and you can call your machine what you like and more relevant I noticed the date was showing Fri not Thu. I changed it to Thu and now both text have gone when machine on or off.

Or it may have been the temp reduction that needed time to be effective. Anyway, I’m keeping it at 127 and leaving the date so fingers crossed one of those sorted it.

1D332B4D-7119-4B7F-8145-1D46EE8B729E.jpeg

2B9A710D-F81E-427F-9025-1C695FA57380.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

Weird.

This is just a standard Gicar unit. Perhaps contact them if you don’t get any response from elsewhere.

After those changes it’s back to normal. Can’t believe the name change had any effect as it’s just a text field so I’m guessing turning the steam boiler down a few degrees may be the reason, although 130 is what I believe the Factory was set at. Still worrying as I don’t understand the root cause. Not keen on turning the temp up again as it might induce an issue. I think @Paolo_Cortesewould be the one in the best position to shed some light on this as the message is in an area of the screen that’s not even mentioned in the User Guide or Manual. No reply yet though. Might email him separately. 

Edited by Stevebee