IGNORED

AVENSI coffee enhancing glasses

Wondering if anyones seen these?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/avensi-the-world-s-best-coffee-enhancing-glasses/x/24083346#/

Im one of those people that think the vessel/cup makes a huge difference to the taste/experience of drinking coffee. I have been looking for a cup that will help enhance the flavour and improve the experience of my filter coffee, and I'm struggling. I saw these and thought they look pretty cool, and i kinda thought there would already be loads of products like this? But theres not. 

At the moment I just grab a mug off the rack, but much like a fine wine i think it deserves better that a mug, and with red wine i think the glass makes a HUGE difference. 

Just wondering if anyone else has thought about this? Or knows of a product already i may be missing. 

🙂

100% agree that the vessel makes a subjective difference. I don't buy into the crazy marketing foo and pseudoscience that often accompanies 'groundbreaking developments' but am totally on board with having a suitable vessel that enhances the experience and indeed the taste. Same as wine, or the classic one being Coke in bottles being better than in tins. You only have to look at the various threads about 'normal' espresso demitasse etc to see that cuppage matters to a lot of people, and it need not be bound by tradition.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

• Like 4

I remember those, pretty much what I expected the other link to lead to. I must admit although I never got those, I've tried a few cups including espresso sized double wall glass ones, which are pretty cool (pun not intended but I'll take the points). Nice to be able to see the whole drink from the side, watch the 'Guinness effect' etc, but ultimately I gravitate back to my little Acme cups.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Got one of those tiny single size cups. Also got the Kruve espresso cups which I love but if you pull long shots 50g+ don't do a great job of stirring. Appreciate the aroma much more than with a notneutral espresso cup.

• Like 1

I have done a lot of experimentation with drinkware, there are a few things that make the difference for me (all IMO/YMMV/etc):

1.) A "thin lip" is an absolute must, the thinner the better especially for filter coffee where the thinner lip helps the coffee cool quicker too so you can investigate how the coffee tastes as it cools. These double walled glass ones are only a good idea for espresso which doesn't taste good if it gets too cold. 

2.) If you like acidity look for a tall cup with a narrow diameter, if you prefer mouthfeel/body look for shorter squatter cups with large diameters

3.) Glass is awful, don't drink from it (but it does make the coffee look prettier) - porcelain or ceramic is the most widely used for a reason (and of course don't drink from metal/plastic)

4.) For filter cups forgo the handle so you can connect with the drink!

5.) You need to like the look on the table, if you think they're hideous (Kruve for me are incredibly ugly) then you'll never enjoy what you drink out of them

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Power Freak said:

I have done a lot of experimentation with drinkware, there are a few things that make the difference for me (all IMO/YMMV/etc):

1.) A "thin lip" is an absolute must, the thinner the better especially for filter coffee where the thinner lip helps the coffee cool quicker too so you can investigate how the coffee tastes as it cools. These double walled glass ones are only a good idea for espresso which doesn't taste good if it gets too cold. 

2.) If you like acidity look for a tall cup with a narrow diameter, if you prefer mouthfeel/body look for shorter squatter cups with large diameters

3.) Glass is awful, don't drink from it (but it does make the coffee look prettier) - porcelain or ceramic is the most widely used for a reason (and of course don't drink from metal/plastic)

4.) For filter cups forgo the handle so you can connect with the drink!

5.) You need to like the look on the table, if you think they're hideous (Kruve for me are incredibly ugly) then you'll never enjoy what you drink out of them

Thank you, Any porcelain or ceramic you can recommend?

54 minutes ago, Burnzy said:

Thank you, Any porcelain or ceramic you can recommend?

I tend to buy handmade small manufacture items these days, places like esty have loads of them you just have to look around - you never know quite what you're going to get. 

I also tend to go for more "scandi" stylings - Broste Copenhagen is one of my favourite brands. They're not too expensive, they have thin lips and just seem to work. They are quite "big" cups most of the time though so if you like smaller cups (~200ml for a filter or <40g espresso) you might find they have a bit too much "headroom".

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Power Freak said:

I tend to buy handmade small manufacture items these days, places like esty have loads of them you just have to look around - you never know quite what you're going to get. 

I also tend to go for more "scandi" stylings - Broste Copenhagen is one of my favourite brands. They're not too expensive, they have thin lips and just seem to work. They are quite "big" cups most of the time though so if you like smaller cups (~200ml for a filter or <40g espresso) you might find they have a bit too much "headroom".

Yes!!! im the same, i love “scandi” stuff atm, got a thing for handleless atm. Im sure ill find my perfect brew vessel soon.